Build it and THEY will grow!! Stealth Grow Box Design

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by RobsGreen, Oct 17, 2007.

1. CUTE LITTLE GUY:p

2. If you have trouble with the plant after its in the 6" net pot in the 5 gal. bucket make sure the roots are through the bottom of the roockwool and touching the nutes (within the 1/2" nute above the bottom of basket.Are your buckets light proof? Check in the dark with a flashlight inside with an uncut lid tight.Youll get it bro,your real close!:hello:

3. That's my problem there are no roots touching the water when I put them in the bubble bucket, there's a decent root coming out of the rockwool but there's 4" of hydroton for it to break through. Can I fill the bucket so half my 6" pot is under water? Because nothings touching the water I do spray the rockwool 3 times a day so it doesn't dry out. My buckets are 99.9% light proof, light might only be getting through the top of the pots, I'll cover with mylar as you suggested.

Everything I'm doing looks good? I just got my RO system, so it will be pure water used. :hello:

4. how long have you had that plant going now? is it under constant 24/7 light?

nice cfl, where and how much?

nice clean cabinent install man

5. Root the rockwool a little longer and drop the rockwool lower in the basket,the goal is for the roots to use the nutes not to soak and cause root rot to the cube,roots should IMHO be comming out of the bottom of the cube prior to the bucket.Then the nute level with the air agitation feeds the roots and WHAM!Hold on man cause roots will grow fast.They should be real white and not slimmy.You may need some cal-mag if you use 100% r/o water.

6. top notch cabinet m8 keep up the effort and all should be well remember nature's been at this a long long time

7. The trick is recreating it in a box.:D

8. Thanks for all the support guys, if I can only get some green in the cabinet it'll all be good. ;)

kkrezono, not sure which plant your talking about, there are 3 different onces here. 2 of them were planted at the same time but one of them didn't grow for 2 weeks, thats the last transplanted one. Both of them were under 24hrs of light for 21 days, well actually the 2nd was under for 28 days, I just ripped it out today. :( All 3 are now dead. :eek: A month of 24hrs of light for nothing!

I bought the light at a local growshop, I prefer that way over the net. I paid $119 for the light, $19 for the socket and $30 for the reflector. Now I want a HPS in there, hopefully flowering is coming soon.

Well I think I have nature figured out this time, these ones are gonna grow. :hello:

Here's some more pics of dead plants. :D

[​IMG]

This was the big one.

[​IMG]

Here's the newest sprout, got fried as well.

[​IMG]

Here's the cause of the 2 deaths, the muffler at the top back, the foam expanded more then I thought it would and blocked the hole closed, temperature got up to 93 degrees for quite a while. The muffler only brought the noise level down by about 10%, not very effective. Maybe if I lined it with better material it would do better.

[​IMG]

And here's my latest addition, this picture is from earlier today, I have another seed that I will be putting in rockwool later tonight, the spout is quite small still but I think will be too big by morning. Least I've got the germination process under control. :)

This one is going to go in the bubble bucket tonight, I'm gonna put it lower in the basket as suggested, I did have them right at the top. I'm also going to keep a humidity dome over them for a week or so, in the past I removed it when leaves first showed. It will also be in RO water, it reads .002 ppm on my TDS meter, down from 350-428 tap water. One thing I find strange with the RO water is it has a very high 9.8ph level, I expected it to be 7.0 It takes much less PH down though then tap water did. For 1 liter of tap water I need about 5 drops of PH down, with 1 liter of RO water I only need .7 drop, 1 drop is too much, I have to add a bit more water to bring it up. Kinda weird I thought. I shouldn't need any cal-mag, the lucas formula is all a person needs, less is better. Ocitown I'm not sure if you ever read this thread from lucas himself, if not I think you'll find it very interesting.

http://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/showthread.php?t=892

Well, back to growing... :rolleyes:

9. If your nutes have the calcium and magnizium you wont need cal-mag with R/O.Your R/O is not buffered like your tap is so even if it needs less PH down watch close as it may change much faster than your tap.R/O that high would concern me,did you use a semi steril technique when adding the filters? Someone i know didnt and grew bactiria that really messed up his water in no time.Also if you move your vortex so it draws instead of pushes it will work more ifficiently.

10. How does that work? I can't imagine the hot air being pushed out the intake holes at the bottom, hot air rises. Right now my vortex sucks the air from inside the box through the filter and out the box bringing fresh air in the bottom. If I did it the other way the filter wouldn't be used. :confused:

11. 1st off, your cab is athing of beauty Robsgreen!
    If you have low humidity, suggests not enough airflow, m,aybe you need bigger inlet holes? With that fan, once you get it sorted it should be sweet with the hps in there.
    Are you using a propagator for the seedlings to stop them drying out?
    ps. occitown is right on watering, the plants are overwatered. Water the clays sparingly, and only water the cube enough to stop it drying out, don't let it get waterlogged. Once the roots are established you can pretty much water as much as you like.

12. Im not getting any of the pix at the moment but when i do i will explain what i was talking about(unless i was to blazed,did i make any posts on turkey day?big blurr)Exhaust air from the top of the box is what i was talking about,still cant see those pix but i was prolly seein some extra exhased tube between the vortex and the filter,putting the fan as far down stream (next to the filter) will alow the fan to work more efficiently as that type of fan is a better drawer than pusher,makes better neg. pressure air movement than a pusher makin a positive air movement.Make sense? And i did say its better to draw,your interpration of using the fan at the bottom would be a pusher(not good)and not what i was tryin say bro.Your set up is very good and you dont need to change it,but its info for the future.Just tryin to help.

13. Your fan and vent are just right as the pix now work,sorry bro,that was my bad and the first time i ever missunderstood a system when your pix are top notch,im on advice probation now!!:eek:

14. Thanks for the kind words ChilliWilly. I don't think the low humidity is a lack of airflow, I have low humidity in my apartment, its electrical heat and now its getting to the point that I shock my cat. :D I decided not to worry about humidity right now. I was going to put a fogger in there, not now.

I did wonder if bigger inlet holes would give more airflow, possibly helping in the heating issue, but then I think if there too big I lose negative pressure which probably wouldn't help. Not sure what a propagator is, I just spray the rockwool twice a day now, it doesn't seem to dry out too quick now that I filled my buckets a bit more.

Ocitown I thought you were looking at something wrong, couldn't imagine it working any other way. I appreciate the thought of you helping though, if you see anything that you think I can improve be sure to let me know, don't worry you're not on probation with me. ;)

I just picked up a webcam to constantly take pictures of them and for security. :) So yeah one day soon I'll have a nice time lapse video for all to see, that should keep you guys checking in. :ey:

Here's some pics of my new babies, they are doing very well. :yay: Both started the germination process at the same time (Nov 15) but one spouted much quicker, as in showed above the rockwool, Nov 18 vs Nov 22. You can see the difference in size.

[​IMG]

I lifted the above plant for the first time today to see if there were roots yet, there was none!

[​IMG]

15. are you gonna try to top or LST her?

16. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet, I'm thinking of adding a net and going with scrog. But then I also think maybe I should just let them grow as they want for the first time, I'm new to everything and this time I actually want to make it to harvest. Using a method is more to go wrong I suppose.

17. I think you should grow in soil since you're not growing alot anyways. Soil is more forgiving to over fertilizing. Good for beginner growers aswell. Well good luck with your new babies anyways.

18. This guy is sharp and he should do great with hydro,his attention to details are stellar,do it bro,just watch them close and listen to um,they will talk and tell ya what they need:D

19. Thanks ocitown, appreciate the compliment. :wave:

I'm definitely done with soil, can't stand the stuff now, read above.
    :D I was also worried about bring soil into my apartment.

I can't see how hydro can be worse, if anything better because you can actually get proper readings on how your feeding them, I'm using the Lucas formula so its very straight forward. More work but I'm up to it. These are my first plants in the bubble bucket from the beginning, the others died because of the physical abuse I put them through. These ones are looking very happy, today I lifted the one pot again and there were 2 nice big roots (3-4") that found there way out. :D

20. your just making this little grow op of yours harder then it should be. 2 to 3 plants I would just use soil. Its easy to maintain 3 pots of soil. You get better yield and taste from soil then you would with hydroponics. Plus it looks like you over feed them alot, you know you cant make one mistake.