Buds crispy only 2 days hanging...HELP!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by KushKing00, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Been hang drying my buds for two days now and they are already pretty crispy on the outside. Buds are about twice as fat as a bic lighter. Been hanging in my tent. Temp is 75-77 and rh is 50%-52%

Should I jar them??

Don't wanna loose the smell. Has had that grassy smell since
    I chopped them. Hoping it'll come back lol

Thanks!!

2. Depending on the amount of humidity in your house, they could dry anytime from 2 days to an entire week, but keep in mind that the longer the drying process lasts, the smoother the resulting smoke will be.

Regardless, break one of them open, see how wet it is on the inside. If its just somewhat moist then you might want to consider jarring them now (or maybe even a couple branches) for a day or two and observing the jar closely, looking for any signs of mold. However, if they're pretty thick and still have some moisture to them then you may want to hold off. Truthfully I can't tell you what to do but rather how to analyze the situation, I'd have to actually be there, feeling them and looking at them to make my own hypothesis.

When I dried my grow, I let some of them hang for upto a week before I put the branches themselves into a large tupperware container, and even then did most of them end up sitting in there for about a month, waiting until I had the opportunity to trim them (it is an exceedingly long and arduous process). Some seemed excessively dry, but nevertheless all ended up contributing towards a good smoke because how it was grown. It's not something that needs to be overly emphasized and stressed over, because it doesn't dictate the overall success of a grow, but it is something to definitely consider and research.

3. Most people dislike the grassy smell. They dry and cure carefully to be rid of it.

You should jar the buds filling each jar about 3/4 full. Within a few days the moisture remaining in the stems will move to the buds and rehydrate them (hopefully there is moisture still in the stem). Use a hygrometer to monitor humidity levels in the jars. When levels are high, "burp" the jars to release excess humidity.

4. I think your temp is high. Try 60-65 and keep humidity where it is.

5. keeping a hygrometer inside of the jar seems a little unrealistic unless it's really small. But not all jars will have the same exact moisture level anyway, assuming you have to use multiple jars..

just open them up once or twice a day for about an hour, also give them a good smell for mold, if everything is ok then seal em back up and forget about them.

6. Yea I've read up lots on the drying and curing process and understand it pretty well. These just dried faster than I expected. I'm just debating if I should jar them now. Feels like there's still enough moisture in them to cure. But the outsides are definitely getting crispy.

They lost their dank smell a few hours after being chopped just hope the smell returns..

7. #7 growinkind, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
    i let them dry out for 2 days on a rack, then as long as the outside isnt wet to the touch they go into jars maybe for 6 - 12 hrs to let them remoisten all the way from the inside out, then take the lid of spread them out and let them air for 8 - 12 hrs at most, repeat the process leaving the lid on longer and longer and letting them sit out less and less till say mayb 2 weeks is up. then pop the jar once a week. i found bud to be at its very best smell, look, taste right around the 2 - 3 week mark, after that it really doesnt change much imo, mayb the high does but look, smell, taste really dont for the good anyhow..

8. Stems arnt snapping yet, still bending. I like to get them into jars before they snap so there's still enough moisture left to cure..

9. ps do not pack your jars! for that matter put probably half full! that will increase your chances of no mold issues and you can roll the jar to move the buds from touching in the same spots without opening. but by the sounds of it there ready for jars sir!

10. Do they start off with that grassy when you first jar them?

11. The smell will return during curing. :smoke:

12. i have grown a few different strains, some surely smell better then others. but to answer the question i would say yes. But there is different things that could result in this. probably the most important imo is where they flushed really good? and are the buds nice and compact or are they more airy wispy buds.. because from experience the thin wispy buds that may be nice 6 inch long buds but have not meat on the bones just taste and smell horrible.. but that comes back to the flush and the fertilizer... you cant cure light airy buds into nice smellin hard nugs, i promise i tried lol.. you live and learn and thats why where all here! good luck bro

13. Ok because ive had a batch before that didn't get the smell back, probably because those were chopped a tad too early, but a buddy of mine had a batch that went full term and never got the dank smell back from curing..