Budget lights and ballasts

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by boogercruiser, Oct 19, 2010.

1. #1 boogercruiser, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
    We've seen them on the internet, 400W switchable ballast HPS/MH bulbs with reflector- $155.00. I know with fluorescent ballasts sometimes the cheapo ones need to be replaced often. Are these deals too good to be true?

[​IMG]

2. I got a 400W system from HTG supply for close to what you are looking at. I love that light. It works just as good as my Sunsystem2 that cost twice as much.

High Tech Garden Supply

3. I have this exact same light and I've been running it for almost 2 years straight w/ no problems. I did upgrade to a cooltube reflector to be able to air cool it, but that's a good light it'll work just fine. Check out my journal in my sig to see what it'll grow.

4. My first HID was a 400w HPS and I got it from HTG for $119. Worked great and still is pumping out the lumens. I just recently upgraded to a 1000w digital (older model)switchable ballast + reflector+ HPS/MH bulbs for $250 off of Amazon, the light system only had two reviews but both people said they loved their new system and the one guy said he had bought something like four of them to light his op. So, I'd say the cheaper deals are worth it, they might not be as efficient as the newest digital ballasts and hoods out there but they sure do get the job done and allow me to stock my fridge too lol :D

5. thanks guys, i think i know which light to start with :D

6. To be honest, if you're in an enclosed area, you may want to go ahead and get an air cooled reflector. I ended up having to pay $99 for the cooltube, when I could have bought it altogether for about $210, or $40 or so less.