Budget grow, looking for feedback on light and whether I am setting myself up to get caught.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TheQuibbler, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Have a few questions about that grow.

Is that a single Meizhi 450W Reflector for a single Nitro Lemon Haze? that yielded 135g (4.75oz)
    And from the seed info I can find, thats a very tall plant, 150cm-220cm; how tall is your grow room?

2. When traditional wisdom says to use a blue light in veg it means a blue spectrum leaning light compared to what you use in flower. It doesn't mean a predominantly blue light, just more blue then bloom spectrums.

The university experiments I referenced with led light are quite unique because of the way they separated the spectrums to see what each one was doing. They only used red, green, blue, far red, and fluorescent lights. The whole point was to see how important a role that the green spectrum can actually play. Apparently it's quite important as evidenced by the way the red and green led only plants actually outgrew or were comparable to the red/blue. If green didn't contribute to growth the red/green plant would be 50% behind the red/blue.

You don't need specifically a green light but this experiment pointing out how green actually does contribute to plant growth and many burple companies completely leave it out. This leans me to think that a white based led light spectrum that more mimics the sun would probably grow a healthier plant. A light spectrum that doesn't leave out the green and yellow bands.

It's also more healthy for the gardener. I grew burple for a while. I just switched to white leds a few months ago. It's much nicer to work in the garden.

That said meizhi makes a great budget light. If that's what you decide to try I wish you luck.

3. YES. The 450 (195w +-5%) is currently over One plant as is the QB288 pn the left..and yes she is a tall plant,. That's why I flowered her in a Bath Tub with 10ft high ceilings..If there was more room, I would have flowered 2 plants for each. BTW: Plants can suffer from too much light.

4. Blue limits stretch in veg to make a nice foundation of tight nodes for flower. Red leaning spectrums give you more stretch and larger foliage. Sometimes you may have a bushy stout short plant that is very stretch resistant. In that case you're better off many times vegging in a bloom spectrum. It can help counteract that plant's resistance to stretch. Viparspectra leds are known to lean blue.

5. Sorry folks..I am off for the night..My PC is constantly locking up since the last GC update as I receive alerts from the forum..very hard to watch..Ever since the last maintenance..bleh..

6. Whether white light is actually better then for an indoor grow, seems to depend on whether the addition of green light has any additional health benefits beyond the increased height. If there is no additional benefit beyond additional height, then using green light for an indoor grow seems counterproductive.

But I don't know shit about plants, and there probably is additional benefits of the green light.

7. You wouldn't happen to be a bit high like the rest of us would you? LMAO

• Like Like x 1
  8. #88 TheQuibbler, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Ohh right.. I have one more concern.
    I need to make my closet reflective. The one I have is black on the inside (didn't choose it, it was bought and left by the earlier tenant).

I can get cheap black/white pandaplast locally, 7mm thick. All reflection guides say that this is plastic that can melt if the lights are too close. There is no indication of what kind of distance is too close.

I can also get cheap mylar emergency blankets (don't know if they are 1mm or 2mm.). I have read, that you should be careful about using these blankets, because they easily get folds that will focus the light and make hot spots.

I have a 5L bucket of white ceiling paint. No paint primer.

So my question is:
    Should I be worried about getting hot spots when using mylar emergency blankets?
    Should I be worried about the pandaplast melting, in a 560x560mm closet, when I get a LED kit that is 450x210mm?

Or should I just go for trying to paint the closet, without using a primer?

9. Btw, what do you mean by plants can suffer from too much light?
    Just ignored your statement at first, but now I just found a new year special on a 600W led, 260 actual watt; that I am considering if I should get. It also have some dimensions I prefer, 380x320mm

All this talk, has really made me wanna do it right the first time. Although that still means these cheap chinese panels, and not an really expensive high end led.

Would getting the 260watt led be a good thing for growing one plant (using a scrog line).

10. Here's another good read.
    PSA: Too Much Light?! | Grow Weed Easy

11. Okay, so it wasn't that a plant can get to many watts per sqaure feet, but rather that you shouldn't place led lights closer than the recommened 14".

So getting a 600W led, that are 260 actual watt, should be fine for one plant?
    Thats 80watt/ft^2.

12. Yes..you should be fine..watch out for Bud Bleaching in flower and watch for heat stress..Enjoy!!
    Start out higher and let the plants adjust..lower slowly to your desired height.
    I still wish you would reconsider the brand..but WTF..your dime, your grow..Hope I am totally wrong about those Vipars.!:)

13. reconsider the brand? were you not yourself also using a Meizhi 450W?

I'm going to get the 600W version of that product line.

14. Ahhh, I thought you were after the Vipar..!!:)
    The Meizhi's are my choice!!!

15. The Viparspectre cost more than the same wattage from Meizhi, and it has lower lumen and par.

16. And it sucks big time..LOL

17. Buzz how would you rate it against the mars 600 ?
    I see they are really approx a lil less than half the wattage like most LEDs are.
    Have you gotten good yields ? Thanks

18. I think the Meizhi, dollar for Dollar, beats up on the older mars lights..I have no idea about the newer Mars though.. As for a company, I'll take meizhi any day.
    As for yields..Mine have been from 3-4.75 ozs per plant..Nitro Lemon Haze at the high end..
    I used the Meizhi 450 (185w +/- 5%) to flower the NLH .
    :)
    12-02-17 NHL.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. I read and looked up that meizhi brand quite a few times before I finally got the joke. Now I don't forget the spelling.

Me - iz - Hi

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Had you not said that, I would never have seen that.

I've just been saying "Messi" in my head.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1