Budget grow, looking for feedback on light and whether I am setting myself up to get caught.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TheQuibbler, Jan 12, 2018.

1. I have notified our friends at Unit Farms ( I got one of their intense Burples for nada) about the QBs..they are looking into the idea..A lil competition never hurts, and after all, didn't HLG knock off Nextlight?

2. Pop a 2x4x6 tent in that closet. U can find a sufficient cfm fan by Apollo (I'd suggest nothing more than 200cfm exhaust.) Set ur vent up by hanging fan on top of inside of tent. Sounds like ur Gna need a filter. I used to hang fan n filter from a sturdy top tent beam. Most come w locking straps that cradle ur filter n fan snuggly. Filter>6" ducting>€xhaust fan>6" ducting heading out top of tent..TRY to get that air At least! Vented out of room. N boom! U jus created a passive exhaust system which provides neg pressure to tent. {U want this!- lightly being sucked inward assuring no smells escape ANYWHERE other then ur exhaust. } my 6 plants WREAKED b4 I set up exhaust. Immediately after addition of fan. ZERO SMELL. OK so ur environment should be dialed in.. Now lights. Please. Please pleeeeease forget CFL's of ANY wattage or amount for bloom.. Veg. They'll do fine. I would suggest this off Amazon.. Screenshot_2018-01-14-06-55-14.png Screenshot_2018-01-14-06-55-01.png That spectrum is nice! U can add CFL's. But alone ,CFL's grow airy, larf..no density to buds @ all.. Jus telling u from experience brother..get some fox farms Happy Frog. Fool proof potting mix... If u doing 1 girl. I'd suggest 8 gal felt pots.. Scrog her down w a screen. Tucking everyday the new tops that shoot everywhere, under the screen. When ur screen is 80% full flip to flower. This is where the COB lights do wonders. Penetrating your modestly defoliated n lollipopped main stem canopy. Cutting off tops that won't reach top or is jus kinda shaded n scrawny tops. This is clone time if u want, and all the cut off tops energy will be diverted up to the bigger tops..so you'll never be wasting tops or yield. Jus clones if u so chose.. Find n follow a modest nute schedule once plants start showing deficient symptoms in a nutshell. Bro iv tried very wattage. Every amount n distance... CFLs will grow spindly, hairy but no bulk buds..LEDs are gna BLOW U AWAY w their performance. See LEDs grow Very good. But under a much smaller footprint then HPS , LEDs emit their light almost like a laser.. Down.. Barely out. Now it does shit 4 ur spread, but wonder's for Penetration. LEDs produce uniform nugs all way to bottom in most occasions. U also need to monitor distance from plants. Inches can be difference between lush quick growth to stunted intensity burned leaves n bleached buds. Usually 24"-32" during veg. Up to 48" for seedlings.. N a varying 14 to 18" during bloom. Adjust daily till u hit ur LEDs gspot lol.. There ya go man. Good luck Screenshot_2018-01-08-13-15-37.png

3. Not going to set up a tent.
    But my new plan is to get a 4" exhaust vent, 4" carbon filter, and then drill a 4" hole at the top of my closet for the exhaust, and another 3x4" holes at the bottom. This is what I have read is required when doing passive intake.

I will be opening windows daily, to not get stale air in my bed room.

The LED kit you are recommending, seems to have twice the lumen of those other units I have been looking at, for 200watts. But I can't find any sellers in EU.

4. Yea that's a good cob light! Soon as I saw spectrum I was like damn!! Plenty of other white based cheap cobs on market man. I'm jus saying cuz I don't wanna see u disappointed. GET A LED FOR FLOWERING! CFLs jus can't do it.. Make sure to check ACTUAL WATTAGE of light u chose. If its a big closet. Up the cfms a bit , that's a big space.. W a light like that n some 3500k cfls you'll beast a 3x3 area.. Enough to easily exceed a QP if all goes right.. Good luck. Keep me updated

5. Ya know u jus gave me n idea dude. My 2.5 deep by like 68 wide. 70smthng tall only closet is ONE patch of wall adjacent to laundry room. Could vent whole closet w 1 8" circular saw cut. N fan of course. I'd get one of the 490 vivosun turbines w built in controller

6. I would recommend an Active Air Model (and I love Vivosun stuff)..I have been running their 6" 430 cft model for a year..no issues..I added the controller and paid about $100 complete with the factory 3 yr warranty. Pretty powerful and quiet except for the woosh of air.

7. I got built in controller n carbon filter combo pack

• Like Like x 1
  8. Did this for ac one hot summer Screenshot_2017-12-24-23-07-02.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. #49 TheQuibbler, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    I am going to get a LED.
    I am already going around trying to find as many of the 300W and 450W models for below $100, and comparing their actual wattage and lumen.

Think I am going to go with a 450W model, that has 200watt of actual usage.

Getting both exhaust vent and a more expensive 450W model, is gonna make me go over my actual budget though. So I am going to see if I can't get my brother to lend me a little to start production, if I promise to not only pay back but provide them with some free smoke :)
    Since both he and his gf works at a open air museum, they might be able to get me some good organic dirt and fertilizer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. How to I find the best LED for a specific watt range?
    I have found 5-6 different brands, with 200watt models, with a price around $80-90.

Some of these panels claim to give just 7500 lumen, while others claim to give 15000 lumen.
    Due to the large difference in lumen, I started googling how to compare LED lights, and found several websites that say that you need to ignore lumen, because a lot of the light is outside the our visible specturm and is therefore not counted in lumen.

What values am I suppose to be comparing?

11. I just set the 16 inch filter on the floor and set the 6 inch fan on top. That's all I use for ventilation. Also takes care of odor. Once the air goes through the filter it doesn't really matter where you dump it. That is if your filter can handle the flow. If the fan is moving more air than the filter can filter then aromatic air will escape the filtering process.

12. The best comparison numbers are par measurements. PPF, PPFD, and umol/j or watt. They're all measurements in the same scale. Lumens isn't useless but it's not an idea measurement of how well they will grow.

Check this out.
    Lumens, PAR, PPF, and PPFD: Measuring COB Grow Light Output - LED Gardener

The problem is deciphering all the different ways of measuring and trusting a companies measurement. There's different quality ranges of equipment for measuring par. Many people are measuring with a lux meter and converting to par which doesn't give you true numbers because actual par meters are expensive.

13. If you want to start looking at stats you can't beat those qb boards. Even cree cxb 3590's, citizen 1212's, and vero's are behind their stats not to mention every one of the cheaper Chinese leds you've been looking at.

14. HLG is a direct competitor with Nextlight. They are both listed at growerslights.com. They use the exact same leds but Nextlight is more expensive since they're not selling boards or kits directly only full UL approved fixtures. I've also heard that most of Nextlight's equipment is made with the slightly lower output Samsung LM 561b instead of the c diode like the HLG stuff. It's 5-8% lower output. Then there is also the s5 and s6 bin versions of the 561c. HLG has been using the s6 newest version for over a year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Yea, I can actually look at the Mini, but not at the QB 288..I would bet that the Nextlight Company has newer stuff in the works..;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Most boards are sold out, the QB LED kits are all sold out, and I see no EU sellers.

Also, I am in no way a diy guy.
    I don't even know how I am going to be able to hang the carbon filter or vent, or how I am gonna make the LED's height adjustable. Just doing this, is gonna be the diy project of my life.

So, even if I could find a seller of a qb board kit, I likely would not dare go that road.
    They are still also way over my budget, when combining the cost of the light board, the driver and heatsink.

17. The QBs kits will mostly come as assembled or DIY (30 minutes)..assembly by them is $25..worth it for you I think;)
    You hang most lights with these..
    1 PAIR ROPE RATCHET ADJUSTABLE GROW LIGHT YOYO HANGERS "METAL" 1/8 HEAVY DUTY | eBay

18. Well you can get 4 qb132 boards for $133
    www.amazon.com/4x-QB132-Quantum-Boards-2700K/dp/B078P8ZD5P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515959254&sr=8-1&keywords=qb132+quantum+boards
    Still in stock. That's 300 watts worth of leds. You can get drivers for all of them for under $75. That's 300 watts worth of top end led grow light for under $250. There's not a pre built light in the world in that price range for the performance.

It's not a computer. It's a light. You bring power to the driver and run the driver power to the board. You hang the board. That's it. You don't have to build a light fixture. Don't let something so easy intimidate you.

What one man can do another can do! =)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Connecting the light board to the heatsink with a screw, I could do.
    It is the part with cutting wires and connecting to the power plug and the light board, that I don't like to have to handle.

20. Just so you know how complicated these single board fixtures are check out this pic of mine. No heatsinks on qb120's or qb132's. Just hang the board.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1