Buddhism

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Adam G, Aug 2, 2002.

1. I was raised as some form or another of Christianity, but i never really followed it and soon became agnostic/athiest. As of late, though, I have been becomming increasingly interested in shamanism and Buddhism , Hinduism and the like (sorry don't mean to combine theologies that are different for a reason.) So I am pretty interested in learning about it as well as the shamanistic aspects of it.
    As of now I meditate, and believe in karma, but im not sure where to go from here, i want to find holy scriptures (if they exist) of buddhism, and learn alot more of it.

2. I love contemplating the idea of reincarnation when reading about Buddhism.

Thinking about what you may have accomplished in previous lifes or what you can achieve in this one.

I know when talking about who you are environment, surrounding etc etc are put forth to explain one's personality.

But if we keep reincarnating over and over until maybe one day achieving enlightenment then aspects of your personality could be linked to those of the previous lifes.

3. i just recently declared theravada buddhism.

i always liked the ideas of meditation and enlightenment.

4. There is a book by a very well known Vietnamese monk called "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" that is a very good introduction. If you want something a little more technical, there is an older book by Walpole Rahula called "What the Buddha Taught". The first book has a very broad Mahayana, somewhat pan-Buddhist approach; the second is very particular to the Theravada tradition of Southeast Asia and Sri Lanka, and deals with more of the Theravada scriptures.

Access to Insight has a very good collection of translations of Theravada Buddhist sutras if you're interested, as well as study guides and other introductions.

They are both good books, but I don't know how much they really convey about the teachings and practices of Buddhism per se. Hesse was more broadly interested in the Indian tradition generally and is really just describing generally the idea of a spiritual quest. Kerouac had a somewhat idiosyncratic take on Buddhism that he ended up dropping to go back to the Catholicism of his youth at the end of his life- he famously called his interest in Buddhism 'just words' near the end of his life. His writings are a good snapshot of what the Beat generation thought Buddhism was circa the 1950's, but there were a lot of holes and misconceptions in their basic knowledge. Both these authors have the disability of having had to primarily construct their knowledge of Buddhism from books rather than from the living tradition, and a lot of the books that they had access to were not too great by modern standards.

5. :wave:

Tibetan Buddhist, Dzogchen.

MelT

6. I used to be a Buddhist for a while, Zen. I gave it up though because I couldn't go with the spiritual things of the religion (reincarnation, etc.). Just an atheist now, although I do still look at it from time to time and find most of the philosophies very interesting.

7. TBH, the whole idea of reincarnation within Buddhism is wrong, reincarnation as commonly understood is Hinduism - though it does have a closer meaning within aspects of Tibetan Buddhsim. We don't believe that a person will be born again, but that our habits and propensities may go on to help kickstart another being of some kind. It's not a full reincarnation, or really any suggestion of personal survival.

If Buddhism was religious or spiritual in any way, I would seriously not be one. Buddhism had to prove to me its logic and beliefs every step of the way, I was more than cynical, I was purposely looking for flaws in the psychology of what was taking place as people aimed for realisation. It's proven itself perfectly correct every step of the way.

MelT

8. #28 xaviere, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
    I practice Nichiren Buddhism with the Soka Gakkai International. I've been practicing since around 2000, and it has absolutely changed my life. It's the most amazing, fun, dynamic practice.

You can chant for anything, even weed! We believe that through chanting nam-myoho-renge-kyo (the title of the Lotus Sutra), we can raise our life condition, change our lives and our environment, and become enlightened, helping others along the way to do the same out of the boundless compassion thanks to that Bodhisattva life-condition. We are in a continual process of becoming better people, a journey we refer to as human revolution.

It's awesome because it's a philosophy, a way of life. And through my practice, I'm continually growing and becoming a better person. Someone who is always becoming better at dealing with change--in a positive way.

Tina Turner started practicing this Buddhism in the late 70's I believe, which gave her the strength and tools she needed to leave Ike. Here's an [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOsr_ZOi-Jo"]awesome interview[/ame] with her, which explains some about the practice. Plus, her chanting is fucking amazing! Chanting nam-myoho-renge-kyo is soo soothing, makes you feel calm and alive and radiant.

We have small meetings in members' homes, and we often can attend Buddhist meetings and events at a local Culture or Community Center. Oh, and I've been to a few Buddhist memorial services for some remarkable people, and let me tell you, what a beautiful tribute, a fitting remembrance and celebration of a treasured member of our organization those SGI memorial services are!

With this practice, I've made huge strides in my relationship with my dad, which is good, because I don't know how I'd get along without this Buddhism! I earned my master's degree. I've created a pretty awesome existence, and I want to share that with my fellow Blades. I'm always challenging myself, always growing and changing into this amazing human revolution.

So join me if you'd like, and chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. Peace and love, my fellow Blades!

9. There is a lot of good information in here on the Dharma.

Buddhanet.net is a great sight and E-Sangha.com is a web community with great conversations from beginer to master.

Metta
    DFG

10. <--- Taoist

Taking a 200 level Tibetan Buddhism class right now which affirmed in my mind that i'm only spiritually and philosophically buddhist. the kind of actions that the most devout followers of the path take are not appropriate in my current lifestyle.

I think most open-minded, curious people will find something in Buddhism for them.

11. I think both parts of your answer are very correct. But if you are leaning on Buddhist logic to make choices or find answers in your spiritual/philosophical life, then aren't you a Buddhist?

The rituals are the trapping of man, to help us develop mindfulness and calm the mind.

The teachings are always there, ready to be heard or read.

Buddha said we are all responsible for our own salvation, and that we should us what is helpful and leave what is not.

When I think back to me Christian upbringing, I really felt that I was practicing what I thought was correct to my understanding of Jesus's life and teaching. But I think that perhaps looking back, I don't think I would have fit in as I grew older and started voicing how these Teachings effected me, perhaps not called a Christian by some.

So While I see where you are coming from, might you not be a Buddhist to yourself?

Metta
    Dr. Feel Good