buddhism

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by negligent, Oct 9, 2004.

1. haha i know this sounds pretty weird, but does anyone have any links to sites on how to become a buddhist, cuz it seems like a pretty interesting religion n i'd like to look into it a lil more, all i've been able to find is the stuff on erowid.

2. that doesn't sound weird at all. but no i can't help ya. sorry man.

3. it sounds wierd as fuck dont listen to him

4. whats so weird about a different religion man?

5. check www.religioustolerance.org. i think that's the site. also GOOGLE it man! goooooogle rocks my socks. Buddhism is cool as fuck, although the hardcore buddhists are all about staying intoxicant-free.

6. haha yea but theres no religous law or a god whos gonna make me burn in hell saying u have to not get "intoxicated", so i'll jus throw my own twist in there

7. Im buddhist... seriously, but its a different type... we dont shave are heads or anything like that we just chant to this thing called a gohonzon and pray for world peace. This thing really works, a bunch of members from all around world do this and they give experiences about what they have accomplished and how there life has became better. In this religion there are all types of nationallity, I really think my life wouldn't be as good as it is no if it wasn't for this buddhism I really suggest you look into this. try searching for "Num Yo Ho Renge Kyo" and I think you will find what your lookin for...

WORLD PEACE!

8. buddhism is NOT a religion.

it /can have/ every aspect of a religion, but it is not.
    it's a phylosophy.

i'd rather direct you to a book:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8239/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_2_3/103-1857946-4935016
    I advise you to read it for it is a great intro on what is buddhism.
    (in the end , it lets the reader decide.)

read the reviews @ amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3-1857946-4935016?v=glance&s=books&vi=reviews

+++

"The wonderful thing about this book is that
    it shows how fruitful open-hearted dialogue
    can be. Although these two men have
    pursued their humane converns and their
    quest for knowledge by different means, I
    believe they both reveal that it's not so
    important whether life has meaning, but
    whether we give meaning to the live we
    live. "

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

9. I agree with Gritton. I have looked into buddhism out of my own interest, and I have discovered it to be the most open minded peaceful way of life there is. It is a way of life/philosophy that trys to teach people how they can live there lives happily and in peace with themselfs and those around them. There is no god in buddhism and no one to worship. Which helps them teach self relience, to rely on yourself and what you can do in times of hardship to get yourself out. However they do tend to teach reincarnation (which I believe in) which can be considered religouse, but I consider it to be a spiritual thing. Just as someone who doesnt believe on god may believe in ghosts or some sort of heaven.