Buddhism

Discussion in 'General' started by Blaze_It_Up420, Dec 5, 2007.

1. While in Costa Rica, I met people from all over the places with different beliefs and religions, which was awesome. I was exposed a little bit to Buddhism, which had always interested me. Since, I was about 5 I've always been an Atheist, never really believed in a god, but have always tried to treat people with total kindness and how I would like to be treated myself.:cool:

Recently, after learning about the basics on Buddhism, I have become very interested in the teachings of the Buddha. I bought the book " Buddhism for Beginners" recently and it is a kick ass book.

Any Buddhists on the forums or anyone interested in the teachings of Buddha?:wave:

2. Any non-extremest religion is a good one. I used to believe in reincarnation before i my parents brought me into Christianity. I just liked the idea of people and animals never dying, just re-birth, a cirlce of life, like a new beginning you know? I was a devote catholic for awhile but turned atheist not too long ago. I believe in God and the bible and all that, but we have disagreements right now and don't get along anymore. I called him an asshole, so he punched me in the face:eek:

3. Right here, man. :)

I've been reading Zen Teachings (a book my boss gave me) for awhile now. Very interesting and mind-expanding stuff.

4. i want to rub ''buddahs'' belly and get some good luck,,,,,

j.k. i was exposed to buddism when i was in hawaii,,,,, a real dedicated religion,,,,:cool:

5. Nice man, when I was thinking about it and who I thought could be buddhist, you definitly came to mind man.

I'll have to check out this book when I'm finished with the current one to get me into it.

6. lets see if this works ? it worked,,, click on the buddahs belly,,!!!!!!!

..[​IMG]

7. My sister is a buddhist, in my town we have a buddhist shrine, only one in the state I think?

[​IMG]

Tada, this hippy dude made it on his farm :p

8. HAHAHA:hello:

I am not a religious man at all. I don't like any religion, but Buddhism I respect.

9. Thats pretty neat JR

10. Yup there's a little plaque and stuff, and the guy lets people go and sit there on his property whenever if you wanna go meditate, it's pretty cool :)

11. No shit huh, that does sound cool. Ill have to check it out someday!

12. If you ever decide to go, it's like RIGHT off the highway, pretty easy to find :)

13. Niiiiice, If i do, ill make sure we end up smokin a bowl together though!

14. Totally, the thing is 2 minutes from my house lol, my town is ridiculously small :p

15. Oh I hear ya on that. Ive always lived in tiny tiny towns that you need to say the surrounding towns so people have any idea where you live haha

16. I went to a Catholic High School in southern California....during my senior year I was fortunate to study Buddhism for several months and then give a speech about my learnings.

I find many inspirational ideas in Bhudda's teachings and I especially enjoy the concept of karma...I think that this is not practiced enough in other religions. So much of Christianity seems to be geared towards business because of the whole "You MUST believe in Jesus Christ or be damned to hell" ideaology. In Buddhism it seemed to me like they are not trying so hard to sway you toward their "religion" , but rather give you the tools to think more independently and live a happier mental life.

I must say that I try to find inspiration in all religions, however.

17. LOL I just tell people my town is where route 9 ends :p That seems to help a lot of people, otherwise they're like oh what? Never heard of it before!

18. hahha niceee all mine has is a few popular paintball fields thats it

19. We have a walmart

people come from miles around to hang out at it :p

20. Along with Buddhism, I would check out Hindu, Taoism and Confucianism. Hindu and Buddhism are quite similar. All are closely related.