Buddhism/Hinduism

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Superweener, May 5, 2011.

1. #1 Superweener, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
    I am not strictly labeled as either of these, but I do enjoy their philosophies, cosmos appreciation, symbols, and art.

Who else feels the same way?

EDIT: Funny how I was told these two were evil and wrong when I was young

2. It's good you don't label yourself as such - not because they're bad labels but because labels can be so limiting when you start to have to be what you believe you have to be in order to qualify for such a label.

Also, if you are in relationship with others who think about you, they will believe they know what you mean when you describe yourself with your label. You may have to spend much time either explaining yourself if you wish them to know who you really are, or dealing with the effects of misunderstandings because they thought they already did.

3. I feel you man. Speaking about their appreciation of the cosmos, check out these lines from the Rig Veda:

"Who knows for certain? Who shall here declare it?
    Whence was it born, whence came creation?
    The gods are later than this world's formation;
    Who then can know the origins of the world?
    None knows whence creation arose;
    And whether he has or has not made it;
    He who surveys it from the lofty skies,
    Only he knows -- or perhaps he knows not."

How fucking awesome is that? :smoke:

4. I feel the same way, I'm reading the Bhagavad Gita and I've found it quite thought provoking and uplifting. I try to take what I can from different faiths without labeling myself or believing the deity aspects. Sufi poetry is nice, too

5. i love hinduism. the upanishads in particular was a really powerful book of scripture to me, even more than the bhagavad gita. but even that is great. luckily for me, much of what i love about hinduism is already present in my own system of belief

buddhism is not some thing i could ever get into. buddhism is a great belief system, but its not the one for me

6. #6 thabosshogg, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
    nathann I feel the same way as you just the other way around. As far as mystical beliefs I am a big fan of hindu beliefs.

But when it comes to practice I am for the most part a buddhist, simply because I find "letting go" and the "practice" of wu-wei to go well with my personality. I tried to get into the various types of Yoga, but the emphasis on structure and control I felt were not the path for me.

I think both are great systems though depending on what type of person you are.

I think attaining states of samadhi by the path of Yoga gets you to a similar place that buddhist enlightenment gets you to, just by different means, since both are simply ways of attaining unity.

7. You could say I'm a Hindu, although I do not subscribe to their entire dogma, but it best explains the Divinity to me. I just went to Hindu Temple for the first time last Sunday (I'd advise you have someone take you, as it is not the same as going into a Church sitting in a pew listening to some guy talk) and I intend to continue going.

8. I worked with Hindus for several years and wanted to learn more, but as an untouchable, was unable to get any of my "friends" to teach, much less take me to a Temple.

It was the always "Indian Polite" - "Oh, thats not for you."

They wouldn't even share their recipes.

Me thinks you are lucky.

9. All paths lead to the same place...faith, logic, meditation, being...we're there :D

10. Well the way it went down is I went into the sorta hippie type shop at the mall, and I asked to buy the tapestry of Ganesha, and that probably threw him off (he's probably used to hearing people say "the elephant one" or something lol) but it wasn't for sale, and then my friend asked if he went to the Hindu temple and he did, and we asked if we would be out of place there to which he told us not at all. We got to talking, and he let us borrow this small book "A Short Life of Sri Ramakrishna" which we both read, and he invited us to meet him in the mall parking lot and follow him to which we did. It was absolutely beautiful, we went to 2 of em (I made a thread about this) and I can't wait to go again this Sunday. I am also perhaps going to ask the main Swami if there is a day I can come in and he can initiate me into the meanings of all the ceremonies as well as what I should be doing and the significance of certain things.

Like we stood in a sort of line while they were awakening Vishnu with sanskrit chanting, and then a Swami came with the oil lamp and we just followed what everyone else did by sort of wafting the flame, then a Swami came with a bell shaped thing and put it on everyones head, then with a pot/spoon with rose water which was put in your hand then drank and rubbed on the head, then raisins/almonds were distributed. If I didn't have the guy to guide me in what was needed to do (such as getting on knees and putting head to floor to prostrate to each God) I would have had no clue what to do and would have seemed really out of place.