Buddhism and marijuana

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by conversation, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I'm a Zen priest, and I've also studied shamanism with native people's in Mexico and Central America. I've studied Chinese mediscine and done a lot of yoga, etc. Just to say I've explored the fringes. The "conventional" or orthodox position in ALL of these traditions is that pot is at best neutral, but mostly decidedly negative in effect. In my opinion, I have found a lot of benefit in MODERATE, highly conscious use of pot in the context of prayer and intending better health for body and mind. I am frustrated by the lack of authoritative reporting from Buddhist teachers about the potential benefits of medicinal, sacramental pot use, but not unsurprised. it's a delicate subject, and complicated. Nearly every first-generation American-born Buddhist teacher used a lot of psychedelics at some stage in their practice, usually early on - though I know some who secretly continued. I can attest that after many years of abstinance that using homegrown, organic, heirloom-strain (all important I feel) pot was an invaluable assistant in my own personal spiritual and psychological development. It helped bring balance to my system, and helped me integrate all manner of quite deep dualisms in my psyche, making me more open to ideas from my own tradition and elsewhere. There are plenty of Buddhist practitioners who use other psychotropic meds (prozac etc.) Why this demonization of pot? While some may use it as an intoxicant, and it poses moderate risks physiologically and psychologically, it also has enormous benefits. In my experience, it is spiritual rocket fuel, in that one has to address everything that is out of harmony in the psyche and heart. But that is what I ask for. I suppose one could aim lower. The plant doesn't seem to allow me to go anywhere but toward God/Buddha/Spirit. it's not always a good time! But the net effect seems nothing but positive.

You can't be enlightened and eat meat? People need to understand that Buddhism is a path. It is not the only path. We each have our own path and it is up to us to decide what works for us. If you think enlightenment is some kind of magical event that you reach once you have done enough meditation (which snake is clearly under the impression of), proved your worth by not doing drugs or eating meat, then you are wrong.

Eckhart Tolle's definition of enlightenment: "Your natural state of felt connectedness to Source". You can eat meat, do drugs, have lots of casual sex and still be enlightened, but if when you are in alignment with who you really are, in alignment with Being, with your Source, then you naturally gravitate to choices in your best interest, which is most likely not going to be binge drinking.

Buddhism is a helpful guide to 'the way', use its teachings, learn from the wisdom of its masters, but if there are parts of it that you don't resonate with, then choose what you do resonate with instead. Don't be a Buddhist. Be You. The goal is not to be the Buddha. The goal is to align with who YOU really are.

If you are going to study Buddhism, personally I would recommend Zen Buddhism. Does away with all the useless dogma and gets straight to the point. For me, I prefer modern spiritual teachers such as Eckhart Tolle and Abraham Hicks. None of them tell you leave your family, give up your possessions and beg. None of them try to encourage you to rid yourself of desires. They don't teach that eating meat is bad, or that having money is bad, but still with the same core message: alignment is all that matters. And particularly one phrase from Abraham that sums up their entire teachings "Nothing is more important than that I feel good". (Because the better you feel, the more you are allowing your natural state of Well-Being, the more you are in alignment with your desires, with your Source, with who you really are).

3. yes, I think you can achieve nirvana while stoned.

Good post. "In my experience, it is spiritual rocket fuel, in that one has to address everything that is out of harmony in the psyche and heart". I particularly like that part. Bob Marley says "the herb reveals you to yourself". And that appears to mean the same thing as you are saying. And I agree.

5. I'm from the Tibetan tradition of Nyingma Dzogchen. Weed, when used carefully and with the right intent, opens more doors than it closes.

MelT

6. #46 DDV, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    I think it's very straighforward and simple: if you have adopted the philosophy of Buddhism, you may do whatever you please. However, if you are a serious practitioner, then cannabis use will hinder your development of samadhi. It is a kind of self-deception, which cannot be understood by me telling you but  by you seeing this for yourself. So therefore, if you still cling to this and that for satisfaction, then that is ok. Paths change with time, and you will find your own way eventually. 

I think when we speak of Buddhist enlightenment, we should first understand what that is. We should understand the original Pali explanation of nibbana, the various stages of arhanthood and so on. Otherwise you are stuck in confused mind with it's various interpretations and beliefs and understandings, like a big soup that has all kinds of things you found while shopping around for spiritual ideas and concepts. Here we are still stuck in ego. If we are going to discuss Buddhism, especially if we are not monks, we should have a basic understanding of the Hinayana. You cannot pick and choose the most exotic path that appeals to your current ego-trip, and adopt that philosophy. The way of Buddha is a way that is founded upon realization and practice, not beliefs and philosophy. I think if we lose the original way, that is very dangerous. There is a lot of self-deception, insecurity, and paranoia of whether you are doing the right thing or not. You become a very spiritual individual who is having a very spiritual ego-trip. 

MelT mentioned something about cannabis being beneficial to meditation practices - I agree, when I initially began my training in shamatha I was high most of the time and my own understanding of this world became more clear. I think it is also true that it magnifies your practice - so if you are doing the technique wrong, thanks to the use of cannabis, you'll continue to do so without realizing it. The guidance of a teacher is important if you are beginning to walk the path seriously. Advancing into the merging of vipassana and shamatha, I have found cannabis to be a hindrance. In the Vajrayana, it is very clear that cannabis is a hindrance. Even a cigarette is a hindrance, because it interferes with the various winds within our body. But the good news - if you are a lay Buddhist, or a philosophical Buddhist, then you can do what you like. If you really wanted to, you don't have to follow any precepts at all. That is alright. Just remember to be honest to yourself, otherwise it can get rather dangerous. 

7. There is an unfortunate lack of understanding about what enlightenment is and what it  gives you - ánd takes away - even amongst Buddhists. I would say that the first step for anyone who sets out a path for themselves should first try to study it before aspiring to it.

MelT

8. the goal is to be the Buddha. Buddha is enlightened one. Also, the source is like speaking of a Big-Bang. There can be no starting point.

9. #49 dogenet, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014

So, I respect this answer. I really do. However, it seems to potentially denigrate those who might have a different experience or understanding. It states "if you are a REAL Buddhist, you will clearly perceive that Marijuana is bad." One could counter, if you were a REAL Buddhist, you would know that the actual mind of Buddha is to not abide anywhere, even in "pot is bad." As Seung Sahn once said, "if a cow drinks water, the water becomes milk; if a snake drinks water, it becomes poison." That can mean a lot of things, but there is the potential that with correct intention, Marijuana can perhaps indeed have benefit. I think this is in fact inarguable - there is extenisve evidence both scientific and anecdotal that pot can help some people some of the time - as can potentially any other substance currently classified as illegal, especially of the entheogenic variety. As a very serious, ordained follower of Buddha Dharma, I personally believe I have found pot to be of benefit in coming to terms with certain deep seeded tendencies in the heart/mind - it led me to be more flexible, more gentle, more compassionate, more open minded. I don't think Buddha would complain about that. That said, I have never been a habitual smoker, a social smoker, a seeker after trips, visions, or escape. Rather, I am thankful for cannabis having allowed me to digest and delve deep into perceived traumas and shadows within the body mind, that decades of meditation and dozens of intensive retreats didn't not fully resolve. In fact, I consider smoking kind of a litmus test. How deep IS your samadhi, your zazen, your faith, the stability of your mind and practice? Do you collapse under a little grass?

I am very intrigued by the somewhat well-known quote from an early Taoist text, stating simply that Hemp (which is viewed as a potentially benevolent spirit) "causes one to seem possessed by ghosts at first, but can lead to lightness and clarity." This seems very true to my own experience. A Zen teacher I know once said that "every partial breath produces a ghost." Meaning I think, that it leads to alienated aspects of body and mind. I have found this to be true in deep states of shamatha and pranayama, and also while listening to the plant in my system. At a certain point in my meditative/spiritual practice (two decades in), I felt very bound up. Intuitively and circumstantially, pot arrived and helped me to see and integrate some really deep shadow material - I maintained weekly contact with my Buddhist teacher, held down a job and a marriage, and saw a therapist. In a word, I still firmly belive that pot helped me. That said, I would caution anyone else to tread as carefully as I did, find as much guidance as I did, pray as hard as I did, cry as much as I did, be still as much as I was, which was a lot. Or even more, please, by all means. Oh, and stop smoking as often as I have, and not abuse the plant. We abuse everything. That's one of the things the plant tended to show me, ironically.

As a footnote, I have not smoked myself in many months, despite a drawer full of the stuff given by my grower friend. It was months before the last time I smoked. I may never smoke again. Or I may smoke tomorrow. I make no hard and fast commandments, except to help beings.

10. Old subject but yeah, I study Buddhism and am a Rastafari, point is at the end of the day what do you believe based upon doing research on what Buddha said NOT man but Buddha and what did His Imperial Majesty Emperor Hailie Selassie once again NOT man but H.I.M. say? There lies your answer. Give ya a hint though, Buddha consumed two hemp seeds daily for Wisdom, it is a little known fact but yeah doesn't mean he smoked it means he was familiar with the properties of the seed and the plant. Hey, ya gotta start somewhere oh and 60% or more of what Rastas believe has more to do with Hinduism than the Bible but oh I've said too much... ;)

11. Yeah- cannabis helps you see inside and decide... Do you like what you see- it is why the die hard prohibitionists are really sceeeeuurred because they might see something that sceeers them

12. I never really got into depth about all the terms and deeper hidden meanings of the Buddha I always thought He wouldn't want us to take Him too seriously and find a middle ground that's it in a nut shell, OKAY I'll spell it out... EVERYTHING that happens to YOU in Life is a result of SOMETHING YOU did or did NOT do, and TRUTH is nothing but the ACCEPTANCE of YOUR own perception. Or at least that's how I read it! ;)

13. #53 Quantary, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    It comes down to what level you want to take the practice of Buddhism. Detachment if taken to its extreme would not be a life most people would choose to lead.

I don't think that smoking any amount of herb means you can't be a true Buddhist. How many perfect Christians do you know? It comes down to how you treat people and if you are able to live a successful life. There isn't necessarily any spiritual harm in using a plant to be able to sleep better, be more creative, and get some pain relief.

14. While some may argue it means breaking one of the 5 precepts that particular precept I was told was more of a precaution than a requirement so you don't break the other precepts. If weed makes you more likely to break the other precepts then it should probably be avoided