Bud Taste

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ontarios, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Hey Grasscity,

I grabbed only a gram of some very very nice Sweet Tooth one time, this was probably a couple months ago, but I have still yet to forget this strain. It smelled amazing, like Fruit Loops. Then, I rolled it up and lit it up, and it is by far the greatest tasting bud Ive ever smoked in my life. It smoke was very smooth and creamy, and it tasted like fruit. I was upset I didnt grab more than a gram of this stuff. The actually smoking aspect of this bud was amazing.

What I am wondering is, what causes herbs like this to end up tasting amazingly like fruit? I've smoked better, stronger buds than the sweet tooth, but nothing has come close to the taste of this herb. Would you say genetics is the big reason as to why it tasted so good, or is the way it was grown the bigger reason as to why it tasted so good?

:smoke:

2. a proper flush and/or cure of the buds is the main reason it tasted so good..a lot of the time when it's harsh or bad tasting it's because of the remaining nutes

3. [quote name='"takeadab"']a proper flush and/or cure of the buds is the main reason it tasted so good..a lot of the time when it's harsh or bad tasting it's because of the remaining nutes[/quote]

Exactly along with strain has alot to do with flavor and smell. But proper flush is the only way to get the amazing taste and using organic medium will deff make a huge difference in taste, it will bring out the earthy sweet smell and amazing thin about for example fox farm organic medium is ph Bal and has alot of nitr And potassium so all you have to do is water no nutes and keep that ph Bal as well. Hope that helps

4. Could you get really good quality bud when using the Fox Farm Organic soil while just feeding it only water? Could you feed it nutrients if you wanted, and would that help make the bud better? I've only heard of Subcools Super Soil being fed only water.

5. That's forsure it can

6. You'll get much higher quality bud and a bigger yield if you feed it throughout most of it's life, then flush during the last 2 weeks. I wouldn't recommend going without nutes unless you have a super soil type recipe.

As for the flavor, that is determined by strain, how well you grow it, and the flush time. But you can't take a non fruity strain and get fruity bud, no matter how well you grow and flush. It has to be in the genetics first, and growing it well will bring it out.

7. also bought a couple of grams last spring at our local co-op and it was great so I decided to buy a start of it and not to long ago harvested my first grow and it was wonderful. in fact everyone who i have shared with enjoyed it also. I am so glad I made clones :) point is its the strain

8. Sounds like there are lots of ways to make your bud taste sweeter.

Here's a tutorial that I've read before.

After you have harvested and trimmed your buds, you will want to hang your freshly cut buds upside-down until the buds have dried a little.

I like to use coat hangers and clothes pins and pin the buds to the coat hangers. Dry them in a cool, dry place. Moisture is your enemy, and can cause mold. Avoid this.

You pot is ready for the next stage of the drying/curing process once you cand use your thumb to gently bend a bud, and you get a dry, crackely snapping from the bud.

The rest is flavor curing specific.

Okay, you will need a few things before we get to this stage.

1. A mason jar or the like.. This can be any type of glass jar that has a lid that can tightly be screwed on. A thouroughly wash glass peanut butter jar will suffice, but I prefer either quart wide-mouth mason jars or large seal jars with a latch lid.

2. Flavoring agent. (We'll get to that in a bit.

3. Cheesecloth or some sort of very thin dish towel. Can usually be found at wal-mart or any chef's supply store. (Psst, you CAN use nylon panty hose, but I just prefer cheesecloth)

4. Some kite string or string of any kind, or even ribbon.

5. POT.

For this tutorial, we are going to use ORANGES. I have found with all my tinkering that citrus seems to give the best bouqet for pot.

So, go to the store and buy either five medium to large oranges. If you can, avoid getting sunkist oranges. You want the natural looking oranges, the ones that aren't covered in wax. If that's all you can get, though, don't sweat it. Its just personal preference.

Thourougly wash your oranges and, using a cutting board, cut each orange in half. If you have an orange juicer, juice each orange or scoop out all the insides. You can drink the juice or or the orange flesh. We are after the skins. You'll want to end up with about ten shells. Its important NOT TO PEEL THE ORANGE. Juicing or spooning out the flesh leaves a layer of oils inside the skin that we want to keep.

Set your orange rinds aside.

Preheat your oven to about 300 degrees F. Put some foil on a cookie sheet and place your empty orange peel halves orange side up on the sheet and bake them for about 6 to seven minutes. Take them out and let them cool.

Now, using a knife, carefully cut each orange rind into little tiny strips, kind of like you are making shoe-string potatoes. The thinner the better. once you have cut up all the peels, set them aside.

Take your cheesecloth and lay it out. Directly in the center, pile up all your shredded peels. Now, as tightly as possible, bring all the corners of your cheeseclothe and tie it off with your string.

The key here is to make a TIGHT ball. So now you got a ball with a about 12 inches of string.

Now, take your pot and put it into your jar. Now, lower your orange bouqet down into the jar so that it is hanging above your pot and screw the lid on. Try not to let the bouqet touch the pot.

Now, every day, unscrew the lid and remove the bouqet. Gently move your pot around, careful not to break any of it. Replace the bouqet and the lid.

Do this everyday for about 30 to 60 days. The longer you cure, the better. I usually don't cure beyond 60 days.

Another key thing to watch out for is MOLD.

I actually like to replace the bouqet about every 10 days or so. You might not have to do it that often, but I live in florida, and mold runs rampant down here. You should empty the cheesecloth and thouroughly wash and dry it before using it a second time.

Your pot will blow you away once you smoke it.

You can also pick up Bud Candy and it will make your bud taste like cotton candy. Very sweet and juicy stuff.

9. That is some amazing information my friend. How did you learn about this info, did you just try and experiment with oranges, and managed to make your bud taste great?

Another question: Do you think you could do this with lemon peels, or lime peels?

Also, how good does the bud actually taste? Does it taste like a little hint of oranges, or does it taste strongly like oranges?

Thanks for the info

10. Though I've never tried it, I imagine you could use any citrus and it'll affect the flavor as you expect so long as you follow the directions.

11. Do NOT do this!.... Or at least only try with a SMALL amount as to not fuck up your crop.

Not to be a negative but trying to help new growers, you want to taste killer bud... Not some fruit or anything else...

Grow a good strain, flush the plant with water 2 weeks before harvest (around week 8) feed only water till around week 10. You will be amazed at the different smells, tastes and highs from different strains

Dry it and put it in jars to cure... Look up rumpleforeskin's curing method.