Bud pics and drying question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mudchaos, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Ok so my buds on this plant still don't look anywhere near close:( Anyone care to guess how much longer?

Also a question on drying. I am going to be having a few workers in my house next week and don't want to dry the batch indoors (I'll be picking in the next few days, not from this plant). So my question is about drying outside. I have a makeshift greenhouse and I was thinking about covering it with black plastic, leaving some ventilation open near the bottom and hanging the plants in there to dry, will the cold night temps pose a problem to the drying? Has anyone dryed like this, anything I should be careful about? I will be checking for mold frequently, and should be able to bring them inside after 5-7 days. Any suggestions on how best to make this work are appreciated.

Peace,
    Mud

Attached Files:

2. grow looks pretty awesome, i wish i knew what to tell you about the outside curing, but something that came to mind, is if you have a spare car, you could cure them in there and just lock it up. that way stink shouldnt be a problem, no one will mess around in a locked car, that is assuming you have some sort of ectra vehicle in the driveway you could spare for as long as the company will be there

gl

3. Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately no I don't have a vehicle I could dry in, can you imagine being pulled over in a vehicle that has been used for this:rolleyes: I imagine it would smell pretty dank for a looong loooooong time:eek: Thanks for the input tho

Peace,
    Mud

4. curing outside will more than likely work how cold is it in the morning when you wake up you only need about a week to dry if that
    black plastic idea will work u need ventilation and also the dew in the mornings is gonna create alot of moisture

how about this wait till work is done inside than harvest right after they leave:D
    if your plant can wait i would wait
    no sense in ruining a good crop to take a risk
    morning dew=moisture
    moisture=mold
    mold= pissed off smoker

5. Thanks cultivationist, yeah I may just try to wait it out, watching those trichs daily and about 2-3% are amber right now so I could probably go another week if needed I'll post some pics of the plant to be harvested let me know what you think.

6. Ok so heres the pics of the plant thats near harvest whaddya think? Oh yeah and the outside temps at night here have been just barely above freezing with a few warmer nights coming up (40s) then probably below freezing by end of next week.

Attached Files:

7. i dk how to answer your question but i must say that you, my friend, grew some beaaaautiful marijuana.
    good job!!!

8. my buddy cured his plant in a random shed outside ahah it worked.. wasnt the greatest dope but i personally believe it was picked a week or so early.. i think as long as you keep your eye on it you could very well be successful.. but it also looks liek that plant could sit there another week or so.. if you decide to cure it outside please let us knwo how it went and maybe show us some pics of that beautiful bud :D

9. i did that with a little truck in my driveway, and i still am. under the seat i just put down some paper towels and put the buds on that
    i turn them everyday when i get a chance and it works fine. it drys alittle slow though.
    and theres not really any air movement

10. Run a string across your green house and when u cut your plant(s) cut the individual colas off cutting the plant in sections and hang the sections on the string by lifting the last bud and hanging it on the string. Cutting the plant in sections allows you to spread the plant out and get better airflow around the drying buds which helps discourage mold. Then have a fan or two running to increase air circulation, but may also dry out your bud faster. Make sure the fans arent pointed directly at the drying bud, to where they are moving alot. Slight movement of the cuttings is ideal. There is no reason why you couldnt run the fans 24 hrs i would.

11. yes i can imagine that, because ive done it minus the getting pulled over part, there is little to no smell, also maybe it depends on how you cure your bud, mason jars are air tight, so the smell is little to none. just crack the lid and let fresh air in, outside of the car, then put them back. i assume you string yours up, possibly blow a fan across it?

the only problem with the car issue is it needs to be climate controlled, IE sitting in a garage roomish temperature. are the people really going to go through your house or are you just worried about smell? just cure them in jars...

let us know what you figure out

12. Thanks everyone for all the input, I'm thinking at this point to go with cultivationist's advice and see if I cant wait it out and harvest after the work is done around the house. If I do need to pick prior to completion then I will do the strings, individual colas and fan scheme that Justcuz suggested.

Thanks again to everybody for the suggestions, I'll post more pics to this thread of the harvest and give a step by step of how it goes.

Peace,
    Mud

13. I'd just wait, I think an extra week would do them good.

14. Well I just found this on one of the plants, not sure but I think its bud rot, anyone know for sure? Now I'm really not sure what to do, I know its going to be more humid in the green house even with fans then it would be indoors, so I'm afraid the hole thing is gonna rot if I leave it to dry out there, but I'm also afraid that if I leave it to grow until next week its gonna rot anyway on the stalk, any advice greatly appreciated I'm more confused now then ever:confused:

15. OK so I guess I cant post the pics here as they are already posted in the sick plant forum, if anyone wants to check them out the post is called "macro pics of sick plant please help", or something close to that, thanks

Peace,
    Mud

16. It would suck to be a waste, harvest now. Cut it down and hang it up for a week it will be bone dry. Anyone can say anything else but why let that baby rot away?

17. Yeah, I started flushing about 3 weeks ago actually, I didnt think they would go this long... I guess I will try to dry in the greenhouse as it looks like no other choice at the moment, boy I'm not a happy camper right now:mad:

18. Just covered the greenhouse in black plastic, will have to cut when I get home from work tonight. Will post more pics later of harvest, thanks again to all who gave there input, not happy with what I gotta do but guess its better then losing the whole crop:(

19. ugh, I checked out those pics and that's budrot. Sorry bro, if you've got more humidity coming, then I would probably chop. Good luck with the drying, let us know how it goes.

20. Nice plants man.

As for drying outdoors, I wouldnt recommend it, really. Because I think it will be too humid to dry properly and not mold. I could be wrong, but thats my guess. I'd say you should get a humidity 'checker', for lack of the word I'm looking for.