Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bud from "back in the day"

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Bullscrog, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ok so I'm only 20 and have only been smoking for about 7-8 years..
    But I have worked in the mmj industry and grown and done research up the ass so I consider myself a "seasoned" smoker.

And whenever I'm smoking with a person older than I am, they say that bud "back in the day" was so much better and I don know shit. But from everythin I've researched (and I've been to countless expos, festivals, a few labs, offices, even met most of the key players in the mmj industry today) buds before my time werent nearly as potent, flavorful, or all around good as today's..

For instance. Most bud from the 70-80s was like 8% thc.. Dank back then was like mid teens. Not only have growing methods improved, but my main argument is genetic breeding.. There are much sturdier strains today than ever, with whopping thc and CBD count DUE TO BREEDING. SC labs last year tested alien og at 29% and some fine concentrates at over 80% total cannabinoids! Now I'm not saying there were a few strains back then that weren't good. I'm just saying that I don't see much of a cOntest between today's bud and that of the past..

And one more thing but this is more of an opinion..
    When people refer to skunk bud. No one says they can find it anymore just like when they first started smOking.. Now I know there are skunk varieties don't get me wrong. But I hate when ppl complain that the buds were all skunky when they started and not anymore. I think this is due to tolerance building up.. When u first start to smoke all bud smells pretty skunky, and the more u smoke the more u can start to tell distinct differences in smell and flavor. But if I take a tolerance break ( a decent one at least a month) I notice when I start again most bud smells "skunky"band tastes similar to when it did when I first started..

anyways ill end my rant.
    I just want to know who else agrees, a lot of ppl I talk to about this are on my side. it's usually the one minded smokers who have been doin it longer who think extra years of smoking outweigh science...

Anyone agree?

2. A couple of things that people leave out in this equation:

1.) People "back in the day" were naturally higher. By that, I mean we didn't have the weight of the world on our shoulders. -no post 9/11....not everybody was trying to fuck everyone else over... We worked 40 hours a week and had the weekends off -usually went out with the family to the park....stuff like that. It made the world easier to BE high in -if that makes sense. Getting high was easy -even with shitty pot.

2.) Most of the common weed we got back then was smuggled in from Mexico and other Latin countries, so what we got was grown in fields of landrace Sativas. The Mexican varieties were almost always shit, but we also got Red and Gold Colombian strains, on rare occasions, that were unlike anything around today. I won't argue THC content or any of that....It was almost always full of seeds and stems and wasn't trimmed well, but I WILL say that it was very potent and noticeably different....and that probably played into answer 1.)

3. As far as skunk...Oh I disagree. I used to get the skunkiest pot on the planet and so I'd recognize it if I smelled it. And there are a couple of really superior strains I used to get from an old dealer "back in the day" (ex Vietnam vet) that I haven't been able to find in a year of searching dispensaries...so my point is that not everything is in dispensaries.