Bud and pregnancy, please read if you're expecting

Discussion in 'General' started by iz88, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Okay, so I've noticed a few places here on the forums where a girl is worried about how her pot smoking habits may affect her child. The fact is, there is no perfect study out there that can prove one way or another. There is no easy way for a scientist to isolate marijuana as the only factor affecting the fetus, and therefore cannot accurately study it's effects.

I would like to share with the community a study performed by Dr. Melanie Dreher. She studied pregnancies in Jamaica (marijuana is the only "recreational drug" that is commonly used in Jamaica, not the same for the US, and thus the jamaican study), and even followed up some years later, although, she wasn't able to get the follow up funded, she did personally meet with some of her former subjects.

here is a link to information regarding the study: Melanie Dreher, Jamaican Pregnancy Study

her research didn't show any adverse effects of marijuana on a fetus, or in the child after birth.

note: I'm not here to advocate smoking while pregnant, I'm simply sharing information i happened to find/use for my own purposes (my daughter is due in jan.). Use this information however you feel is appropriate.

2. I'd rather be safe than sorry. How hard is it to go 9 months without smoking or drinking?

3. as stated above, Use this information however you feel is appropriate.

4. Yeah, as a soon to be father, I don't think I'd appreciate her smoking while pregnant. At least not heavily or regularly.

5. smoke in general is NOT good for the body, even if it carries thc.

If you are pregnant you should stop altogether or switch to making edibles

6. It's ironic how everyone around here is all "Cannabis! It's not harmful at allllll", but then the thought of our mothers doing it puts it into a whole other perspective.

You could apply your logic to anything when you're pregnant:

If I drive in a car I could get in an accident and kill the baby. Better be safe than sorry.

If I walk on uneven ground, I could fall and kill the baby. Better safe than sorry.

If I take a shower, I could slip and kill the baby. Better safe than sorry.

Don't change the litter box or eat that piece of fish or smoke a joint... you could kill the baby. Better safe than sorry.

Car accidents, household accidents, and toxoplasmosis harm more pregnant women and fetuses every year, than cannabis does.

Drive a car, but don't go 120mph w/ no seat belt. Take a hike in the woods, but don't try to climb a 10,000 foot peak alone. Change the liter box if necessary, but don't make it a daily habit.

Cannabis shouldn't even be compared to alcohol. It's not the same thing, and you know that. Alcohol in large amounts has been scientifically proven, over and over, to be harmful to fetuses. The same results have never, ever been proven with cannabis. You don't think it's been researched?

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying (and I know most of you will). Pregnant women shouldn't smoke heavily... they probably shouldn't smoke at all. It's just not so black and white. In the grand scheme of things... if it's used very, verrrry occasionally, it's less risky then eating a piece of fish. Unless you have evidence to prove otherwise...

7. good to know....

8. It's up to the mother. If I were about to be a mother, I'd lay off the shit until after the baby was born. It's not like you're making a huge sacrifice or anything. I don't know what point you were trying to make Penelope, but you single handedly labeled everyone here as someone who worships cannabis and thinks there aren't any adverse effects.

Taking 1 hit off a joint during your pregnancy is not likely to cause any adverse effects, or maybe it will. "Why take the chance of screwing up your pregnancy at all?" is how I see it.

9. i find this very interesting and i cant seem to choose a side of the argument

10. I understand what your trying to say but still, walking, driving and showering are (pretty much) something that you HAVE to do. I know there are people that don't always shower or drive or walk but in most lives walking driving and showering are things you need to do to live. Smoking pot however is a choice, thats why when having a baby its a choice that can be gone without a lot easier then say driving or showering.

You dont HAVE to do it so you can give it up for the benefit of the baby. It's not even the risk factor really its just that why would you want to take any chance of hurting your baby when you dont really need to.

11. In other words, Penelope was applying my logic to things we don't have much control over. You could be pregnant, driving your car, and a fucking alien mothership abduct you and do all kinds of crazy shit to you.

But nobody forces you to smoke or drink.

12. its only nine months, thats less than 1/100th of your life. And I also feel that this should not be done because does the baby really want to be smoked up? That should be the kids choice.

13. yeah ive heard that its the smoke thats bad for the fetus. edibles are okay right?

14. I've never read one article that said THC was bad.

Edibles should be fine.

15. Some people use cannabis for religious, medical and/or spiritual reasons. To give it up IS a huge sacrifice.

Not everyone is a 19 year old kid using it to get high. Expand your world views a tad. The study in the original link is about Jamaican women, after all.

16. I agree, but maybe an edible here or there, or if it was a special event like her birthday.

17. Guess it depends on how much you care about the health of your child.

18. My point exactly.

19. And you...

20. Seeing as THC can have a detrimental effect on developing brains during adolescence, I can only assume that it would be at least slightly detrimental to a developing fetus inside of a toking mother.

Everything that the mother ingests gets absorbed by the baby one way or another. I just can't see it as a reasonable idea if it's completely avoidable.