Buck's micro CFL grow w/lST

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by mhbuckelew, Mar 6, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

Hello everyone, I'm sort of new here but not new to growing, been using GC Forums for all my growing info for about two years now; this will be my first grow journal that I share. Feel free to give advice and info if you see fit. Hope you enjoy following...

Bit of info about this grow so far: I'm playing catchup since I'm about 25 days into it already from bag seeds. Unsure of the exact strains but it looks like I'm working with two Indica Dom plants and four Sativa Dom. Currently unsure of the sex of the plants, I'm a few weeks out from that right now.
    My grow box is 37x19x34
    I'm using 12 standard 100w equivalent CFL lights with splitters on three leads.
    Ventilation is simply two desk fans and temps stay around 75f at the canopy.
    Using miracle grow organic soil mixture and I use Vigoro AP to feed the plants at different strengths throughout the grow.
    Currently in veg state at 25 days from seed.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I like to keep my plants low and bushy as possible to retain space and this time around I'm giving the SCROG method a try after some LSTing. These are small half gallon pots I use but with the right training they will easily sustain the plants throughout the entire grow. I've had great results and yields in the past with these small pot methods and would like to share this grow to explain how I make it happen...

I'm starting off tying the plants as they grow getting a good shape and canopy ready so I can keep them below the screen easier. Here is a pic of the screen I made using the lid to my tub and some hemp rope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see that the plants are a little over watered at the moment. This was due to the pot size holding more water than the plants needed for too long. I popped some more drain holes in them this morning and put a few air holes in the soil to help with that.

Currently just letting them do their thing... No nutes as of yet just been giving them tap water. I'm about to start using the Brita pitcher to filter the water a few days before I feed them due to us having some hard ass tap water here. Hoping they perk up more this week. New growth is looking great so far...

As with any grow of unknown strains I don't have any time frame as to when I'll flip to flower yet. Planning to just play this one by ear and see how long it takes to fill out the screen first.

Planning to update as things go along. Happy growing peeps. Hope you enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'm subbed man! Super excited to watch your technique. I'm on my first grow right now in a 4x4 tent with a 1000W HPS/MH looking for followers for advice and help if you're interested here's the link good luck bro I'll be around! First grow advice and help encouraged and appreciated

"Master scroller"

3. [​IMG]
    Update: getting some nice Shutes coming up for the light now after some lST.

So the plants suffered from an overwatering which led to some stunted growth and such that I've been dealing with the past weekend. Had to start giving them water from the Brita pitcher to get the ph squared away. Raised the lights a bit to start promoting a little stretch, the nodes are crazy tight on these so far. Also adding some more ventilation today to let them breathe a little more. They seem to be picking back up a bit now. Should see some serious growth coming in soon. Hoping to start lacing them into the screen this next week. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looking good bro! My lst recovery is looking good too! [​IMG]

"Master scroller"

5. Yeah I saw that. She's gonna turn out nice bro.

6. I'm hoping it's a female! I had two show signs of preflower males so I took them and put them outside for now if they show differently in a week or two then I will deal with things accordingly lol check my journal one of my plants has really mature growth but everything is miniature its are 3 weeks old my first grow with bagseeds lol but I purchased some seeds that should show better growth rates the 2 I have in the solo cups are on day 10 but idk if they are ahead or behind I've seen some plants twice the size of mine at 14 days and I just don't see my doubling in size that fast.

"Master scroller"

7. #7 mhbuckelew, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Went all out and upgraded the desk fan with a Stanley hurricane I picked up second hand today. Temps are down about 5 degrees and the plants should get some serious fresh air now.

[​IMG]

This should help them pick up a little more. I'm around the fifth node on most of the plants so I'll start watering them with Vigoro AP at 1/4 strength starting this Saturday.

I just use the directions on the box for feeding cycles. It's calls for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water every 14 days. I found it works best for me to stick to that. Having micro plants can be tedious if you over water or over feed so I try my best to avoid that whenever possible.

Quick group shot here at day 28 from seed
    [​IMG]

8. Looking good man what is your final expected plant height?

"Master scroller"

9. The last few grows have been at about 12" tall but the height was mostly straight colas. I keep them low and bushy as I can until I flower. I'm planning to do the SCROG this time so I don't really know what to expect from it height wise. Hoping for at least 6" to 8" colas from this go around.

10. Here are some better stem pics so you can see what's going on here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

You can see the shape they are in now is just past the "J" they will eventually be more of a "V". At that point I will start using the screen to spread out the canopy during the last stages of veg allowing all the sprouts to make a home within the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'll have to get some better pics of the lst I'm doing as well it's looking very good.

"Master scroller"

• Like Like x 1
  12. How are we looking? Updates on the lst?

"Master scroller"

13. Looking good today. It's been a slight battle the past week with the plants showing signs of zinc toxicity. Didn't want to chance it so I gave them a nice flush yesterday with ph balanced water. Did a little manicuring this morning allowing them to completely dry before I will start again with the nutrients. Probably wouldn't suggest using this soil to anyone in the future. lST results are looking nice. The plants have suffered from two bouts of stress from seedling now but the new growth and bud sites are all looking supreme. I'll be giving them some more time to completely recover before flipping them into flower. Fingers crossed for at least two females out of the six plants. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A few shots of the new Growth and lST.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Looking good man! I had several males myself and two hermies thus far have 4 feminized seeds growing so I'm not worried about em

"Master scroller"

15. I'll post pics when the lights come back on tomorrow

"Master scroller"

16. So here's the pics of my girls (fingers crossed on the 3 bagseed) WWBB BD BC and OGS#1 are all feminized [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Beginning lst on the blue dream
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"Master scroller"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Looking good bro. Hoping those bag seeds turn out fem for you. Wish I had the room to setup a tent like yours. My box is working good for these micro grows but I'd like to get a space suitable for at least 4 3 gallon pots. I'm in half gallon pots and I'm considering doing a transplant into 1 gallon pots before flower. Definitely want to get my plants into some better soil this next week. Considering something from the fox farms lineup as far as soil goes. Haven't ever tried it but I've heard great things so I'm gonna give it a go.

18. I'm using fox farms happy frog right now and the plants are loving it! (Since the switch) I have some questions on when to flip to flower in my tent. All of my plants are super short and bushy like one is 9 nodes 7" tall 14" wide! It's my first grow so I'm really beginning to get a headache waiting that plant is like 44 days into veg but if I'm waiting on height I feel like it's going to take another month

"Master scroller"

• Like Like x 1
  19. Height isn't really an issue since you're using lST and have a big grow space. Your plants will stay short until you flip them. I'd just keep the lST up and wait until you have at least 4 to 6 good bud spots on each plant. Those new Shutes that pop up during lST are where your plants going to grow big colas. Naturally growing the plant would have one cola but with lST you get many "main" colas. It's up to you when to flip them but your final yield will depend on how many of those bud points you allow to develop before you flip... I always seem to wish I had waited longer to flip once I do it. Lol. .......I'll check out the ff happy frog this week, I know they have quite a bit of choices. I need something that doesn't hold water quite as much as the organic mg I started with. It's really hard to manage the nutes in this soil too. My plants are turning purple due to a zinc issue I had to deal with this last week. Want to get them in slightly bigger pots with better soil for a week or so before I flip mine. Each of my plants have at least 6 bud points now and I'm shooting for at least 8 before I flip.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yea the happy frog is really good for veg and you can use in flower to but the ocean forest I hear burns up smaller plants because of the high nutes so I have some of both but not using the ocean forest till the next grow and I'll use it when I transplant to the 3 gal pots see how it does. The crazy thing is the only lst I've performed is on the blue dream the other that I was talking about 9 nodes at 7" has no lst and attempted to top and fucked up one of the new growths so still ended up with one top haha but the other bud sites caught up to it

"Master scroller"