Bubbleponics Seedlings: To Light or not To Light?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Hexum, Dec 13, 2009.

1. I have recently started my first indoor grow. I have two White Dawrfs and one Lemon Skunk, all feminized. I am using a Bubbleponics setup, and I have both fluorescent and a 600w MH/HPS Fixture & Dual Lumatek Ballast. Recently I germinated my seedlings in a paper towel and added them to the cubes about three days ago. After 24hrs, the first seedling sprouted. 48 hours in the second seedling sprouted. Due to reading someones cannabis Bubbleponics grow technique, I have the ¼ nutrient solution mixed into the tank already, so the irrigation pumps are turned off with the air stone on to keep the water fresh, and I keep the cubes and clay moist with a spray bottle of pH balanced water. The bottoms of the pots get a little spritz from the bubbles caused by the air stone, but they are not getting the nutrients directly pumped to them at this point.

I still have one seedling left to sprout, but I decided to switch on my lights for the two that already have. I have a home-made CO2 generator using the dry active yeast/sugar method, and purchased a ventilation fan that pulls air out of the room. A high-powered fan for a server supplies the air flow to the system at this time. After just a little time under the 600w MH, I soon noticed that the seedlings grew very weak and sort of fell over with bendy-stems. So, after deciding that they are not ready for such power yet, I have rigged a couple of fluorescent fixtures to hang down very close to them, and cut a circle with a little square out of the middle using some Styrofoam plates, cutting and covering them with Mylar as well, and then put them over the seedlings to help prop them up closer to the cool fixtures. The un-sprouted seedling is still under a clear-green plastic cup, in hopes that the light will be filtered through this green cup enough to confuse the fluorescent light as unusable for plant growth, thus forcing the seedling to continue up in search of light.

I would not have added nutrients to my water yet, but I read someone's guide that told me to do so and my first batch of seeds did not sprout due to it. Now with my second try, the outcome has been great, but I was hesitant on turning on the lights too early so the sprouts are around two and a half inches tall, but very healthy. The green pedals are just now showing the first signs of foliage inside of them. I figured that they would be fine with my constant care under the fluorescents until the plants are a little bit stronger and I can turn on the MH. I was planning on delivering the pH-balanced water in the spray to the cubes until the roots begin to show at the bottom of the net pots, and then I will turn the pumps on. I would drain the tank but I am on a tight budget and it would be a waste of nutrients and bottled water, so I was told that this should be fine until the plants are ready.

When should the plants be ready for the 600w lamp and not become weak and bendy under the power of it? Should the much lower wattage of two or three fluorescent stick fixtures help to support growth long enough for the plants to get their strength up? Also, will the last plant be alright with the lights on underneath of the opaque-green cup until it sprouts? Just wanted to make sure that they will be alright, as I do not want to waste my nutrient mix and store-bought water that is in the tank, especially my feminized seeds. I have been spraying them about three times a day just to keep good water flow through the pots, and I will continue doing so until they are a little larger. Thanks for the help, and hopefully next time around I will have more money to spare.