Bubble Buckets

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CSn0w, Nov 21, 2010.

1. so im wanting to create a bubble bucket aka DWC, im new to Hydroponics, so what i have right now is 2 6" Air stones, and 2 air pumps. Net pot, and all the other stuff, but im not wanting to hook it up to a water res. im just wanting a simple old bucket, anything else im missing besides the Water and nutes?

and yes i know how to check PH and keep it in check.

2. All the other stuff?????? Does that include a drain valve and fluid level sight tube?

3. i have the drain valve yes, and the fluid level sight tube yes.

4. I don't suppose you have checked the two DIY stickies for Bubble Buckets ...

5. How bout a feed valve up top? Makes feeding SO much easier than having to try to pour it through the plants, or lifting the lid.

Also, for your sight tube, take a black sock, cut a hole in the foot area, put that on your site tube and keep it covered. Otherwise you will get algae in the sight tube. I got algae in the first 3 weeks of using my bubblebuckets. Since I cleaned them out, and now use black socks as a cover, no sign of algae at all.

6. If he has the drain valve and sight tubes, I imagine that he did see the DIY stickies. :)

7. Indeed i did, i was jyst making sure there wasnt anything i left out since mine isnt going to be hooked up to a water resevior. Mine is going to be just a single bucket

8. a drain valve.. is a must..
    covering the tube is a must..

and you will end up putting a controller bucket... it makes things so much easier...

no brass...

bulk head fittings ftw

9. I have 2 buckets. They are not hooked up for auto circulating either. For feeding, I have another 5 gallon bucket, with the ball valve at the bottom. I prepare feed water in there, hook tubing up from the ball valve to the feed valve at the top of my plant buckets. I just raise the bucket up and let gravity do the work.

For draining I have a 18 gallon rubbermaid bin with a ballvalve setup. This way I can drain the whole bucket in one shot. When I first used just another 5 gallon bucket for draining, it took several attempts, for as soon as the levels were equal, the draining stops. lol. So now I use a container big enough to drain in one shot.

10. pics or it never happen... hahahaha

how does the not recirc thing work out for you????.. i know you have a journal.. going there now

11. im a soil grower, and im trying my greenthumb on Hydroponics. so this more than likely will fail. but it's atleast an attempt.

12. i've seen your grows. man.. your good.. hydro is easier...

get a ph pen.. make sure its calibrated, if you don't have one already...

ph is the most important thing with hydro... ph twice a day till you know your grow..

5.8 for hydro

everything else is just a bonus

13. You misread. I do not use recirculating. I use a separate bucket for feeding and use gravity. And I use a bin for draining.

Eventually when i find my favorite strains and grow one strain per grow, I will do the recirculating buckets. But while I am growing multiple strains, I want to be able to tend to each bucket on their own, because I find different strains like different nute levels.

My main goal in a few years is to house a mother room with 4 or 5 different mothers, all of my favorite strains. Then I will grow one strain at a time, from clones. Then I will definitely have recirculating buckets to make things even easier then they are now. But I love my current setup. The only thing I have to worry about is cracking the buckets when turning the ball valves. Those things are sticky as hell. I actually cracked 2 buckets early on, developed a very slow but constant leak. I do not know what I would do if that happened now, in the grow's current state. Would be really hard to have to move my plants now. So I am very careful when turning the valves on, and I try to apply equal opposite pressure with my hand when turning them on. So far so good.

I was thinking of trying square buckets as well, for a more flush fit of the PVC fittings,thinking that may make them a little more durable to the ball valves, but I don't know. I also have not been able to find black or gray square 5 gallon buckets, so I will have to wrap them in aluminum tape if I go that route.

14. You misread. I do not use recirculating. I use a separate bucket for feeding and use gravity. And I use a bin for draining.

Eventually when i find my favorite strains and grow one strain per grow, I will do the recirculating buckets. But while I am growing multiple strains, I want to be able to tend to each bucket on their own, because I find different strains like different nute levels.

My main goal in a few years is to house a mother room with 4 or 5 different mothers, all of my favorite strains. Then I will grow one strain at a time, from clones. Then I will definitely have recirculating buckets to make things even easier then they are now. But I love my current setup. The only thing I have to worry about is cracking the buckets when turning the ball valves. Those things are sticky as hell. I actually cracked 2 buckets early on, developed a very slow but constant leak. I do not know what I would do if that happened now, in the grow's current state. Would be really hard to have to move my plants now. So I am very careful when turning the valves on, and I try to apply equal opposite pressure with my hand when turning them on. So far so good.

I was thinking of trying square buckets as well, for a more flush fit of the PVC fittings,thinking that may make them a little more durable to the ball valves, but I don't know. I also have not been able to find black or gray square 5 gallon buckets, so I will have to wrap them in aluminum tape if I go that route.

P.S. You know what, I have never posted pics of my feeding or draining. I will do that in my current journal. I will not drain it for another couple of weeks, but I will take pics of my next feeding, then again when I do drain. Might make it easier for some to see how easy it is to feed and drain with the buckets.

15. didn't misread.. your description made it sound like you used a res.... so i assumed you just had a ebb and grow... my bad bro

visit a local hydro store... get a thicker bucket... or.. put an extension of hose before the ball valve.. this would mess up your beautiful room....

i would get new buckets... lowes buckets(that appears what you have) are thin and shitty

good luck...

16. Thanks brother. :smoke: