Bubble buckets

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by budgetgrower, Nov 26, 2017.

1. So I'm new to this hydro side of growing. I've been starting to move over from soil. I'm trying bubble buckets to start since they are cheap and easy for me to make. I have 2 buckets with rockwool sprouted seeds and 2 from clones. I'm taking it real slow on the nutrients to start now (advanced nutes). My first plant got nute lock and turned to paper overnight. My question is about how long should it take for those roots to fill a 3.5 gallon bucket with a 6 inch netpot lid? I've been slowly dialing up the nutes and so far so good. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. With an 8 week veg and 8-10 week bloom they will fill with roots solid all they way up to the net pot. They'll make a suction sound when they're removed for water change. I also use 3.5 gallon buckets. They're great for headroom but you have to top off with nutrients daily because the res is so small. I have plants eating 1 gallon a day 8 weeks in veg right now. Since you can only fit maybe 2 gallons in the res it's fairly depleted after a day. It needs to be topped of with a balanced lite nutrient line or the plant will be starving in 2 days. This is only after they get big. A small plant can go a week with little top off.

Drill a hole in your net pot and let the roots get extra long on your clones before moving to the bucket. They can have roots in the res day 1 instead of taking a week to grow trough the net pot sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I run 5 gallons with a 20 gallon res and I find it takes about 4 weeks to get a good root mass maybe 6 weeks and flip it then to be honest

my one and only experience thus far was a clone vegged for 4 weeks. it filled the 5 gallon i'd say about 1/2 full and was drinking about 2 gallon of strength and a half nutes at its prime. when I put it in the flower tent it literally exploded 4x its mass, so be carful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I am just starting with the 3.5gals and am planning on moving up to 5 gals for flower.

Another question. Where do you place the airstone? Do you prefer it closer to the surface? The bottom? Does it matter at all? Lol

5. Oh, and how much of a rootmass do you let grow before transplanting from cloner to 6 inch netpot with clay pellets?

6. air stones at the bottom.

roots from a cloner pends. the longer they are the faster it's going to take to growing. as the roots wouldn't have to work to the water.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Also using AN , this underdawg OG is 15 days, if you are using RO, add a couple ml of Cal mag. I also use 2ml of roots excelerator as soon as roots are visible followed by 2ml of voodoo juice.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ok, good. I'm on track then. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm really liking this for veg so far. So much less work! I was killing myself trying to water all my plants in soil. Now I just add nutes once a week. I'm not even changing the water unless the buckets look dirty or are growing algae. So far so good!

Once I get to flower, I can just lift up the netpot lids and transfer the plants to new, clean buckets.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The only thing I would change is the location of the air tube, I would put the hole in the bucket rim instead of the lid, this allows you to rotate the plant and if the roots start growing around the Tubing it's easier to untangle.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Its funny you say that because i actually did that right after i took the pic. Lol.

12. Really should have your air pumps above your buckets even with check valves power outage or pop a line off and your bucket siphons onto your floor, I like to hang mine from the ceiling, quiets them down, can't accidentally step on/ kick off the lines, most of the time a fella gets away with it but just that one time especially right after change out you check back in an water everywhere! It truly sucks

• Like Like x 2
  13. I would suggest getting black air lines also, otherwise you may start getting algae in the lines. You’ll probably want to use something similar to hydroguard to avoid having to deal with root rot also.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I have the best roots I've ever seen this crop on my Grand Daddy Purple. They're trying to climb out of the bucket. This plant is about 10 weeks from clone.
    IMG_0815.JPG IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. That's funny! And a hack for you, drill holes in the lid lip, 3-4 inch apart, use for tying down selected branches, and you can still remove the lid with plant!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. You can see some holes drilled in the lip of my bucket in the previous picture I posted of the roots. I used to use them for strings to LSD until I switched to mostly supercropping.

I'm able to do the same thing with supercropping but with way less effort. I've switched to all that method. No strings is much easier. I'm still making similar bushes and a nice even canopy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Just fed last night. Did a doubletake and thought i had algae for a second before i realized it was just nutes that sprayed up. Lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. mother of god those roots look fucked up. what your water temps? remember you want to keep them below 68f cause that looks like a lethal case of root rot, unless its the nutes you're using