Bubble bucket hydro method 101

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Big Poppa Puff, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Cheers mate your a star!!!

I will do that, my mate has just cropped his first ever grow which was grown under florescent and with soil. He only got about 1oz worth of bud though so he is going to give me his florescent lamp to use for this. It's sitting on my window sill just now and we have some lovely Scottish weather just now so i'm sure it will be fine till tommorrow.

Thanks so much for the help, i'll try out your tips.

I use a two part multi nute that i got from growell so i should just use quarter of the amount required for a litre and then just use some of the water from the solution made up to water it while its in the cube?

Cheers buddy:hello:

2. Got the florescent tube in to my grow room and have that on 24/7 seems to be doing the trick. I now have four little leaves. Two rounded ones and two little jaggy ones. :p

How long does it normally take for the roots to start showing through the bottom of the small rock wool cubes?

Amazing how much the seedling can move during the day. I have the florescent tube to the left of my room as its too big to run across the top and the seedling moves the head of it too point to the light and ends up bending the stock so i turn it round and next time i check it has bent itself all the way round again to the light. It amazes me ;)

3. Hi i would like to know roughly how much less nutrients should i use as i have been told that you MUST use less than stated on bottle is that right? i have a 20litre bubbler with the IONIC grow,bloom and boost also cannazyme,superthrive and pk1314 would really like some help on this as i want good results.
    :D:hello::hello::wave::smoke::smoke:

4. Ok so i have the above mentioned system, comes with all you need pots are 15lts per peice(5 gls i think) and the Resivor is 100ltr. It also comes with a 550lt per hr air pump, 6 airstones and all the pipe, airline and conncetions you need.

So i got it set up no problmes, (6 was too big for my space if i wanted to be able to move in there so i reduced to 4). I had to build the float from the parts which again was no problem, the problem is the water in the pots and head tank only fill maybe 2/3 or the way full. leaving at least 6 inc between the next pots and the water.

I spoke to the fella in the shop, and told him my problem, he said he will send me a 1500lt per hr pump and 4 bigger, pond style air stones, Hopefull this will crated enough splash for the water to reach the next pots. Additionaly i can top up the pots manualy to get water level higher if need be.

My main question is i have sorta decided that this system isnt great for plants under 2 weeks old, I was thinking start the seeds in a propagation tank in some rockwool, then when the root starts to bust through the rockwool, transplant into the DWC.

If i choose to do this would a tank and rockwool be all i need to get, or am i making things to complictaed.

This is my first hydro grow and although i have grown with vemiculate and perlite before never with anything that envolved this much water. better just mention i use Feminized seeds so i dont need to worry about sex.

5. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Most all threads about BB will say to wait to use them after the cubes have well developed roots,so yes root em well then add em to the BB system,and the more air (surface area agitated) the better o2 exchange and the happier your girls will be.:D</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. For you guys who say you cant get a seed up to medium sized plant in the bubble bucket.

I don't know if this would work just as good as using another system for the small plant until its more mature, but what I do is put my sprouts in the grow meduim and then slowly raise the ph accurate water until it is covering the small roots. As the plant starts to develope a strong root system, I then lower the water level to the normal size. I do not use rockwool so I do not know how this wil work for that, just seedling in the hydroton.

Also, i would like to note that I put my airstones directly under my netpots and i can see bubbles coming out of the top of the hydroton and touching ym seedling, I do this to make sure the little seedling doesnt drown!

Hope thsi helps someone : )

7. all I know is I looked at the thread in the indoor grow for a bubble bucket and then looked at this one and after seeing the list of items needed for the other one I decided this was much simpler :) thx 4 thread

8. i was wondering about this too...

9. I just purchased a water farm by GH, its got 8 bukcets and a res.. drip system everythign came with it! for only 300$ .. I will put this under a 1000w.. its just like what is described here.

10. I am wondering about trying an 18gal. [rubber maid] type container in place of the bucket? It is 24 in.wide x 32 in Long x 20 in. deep. Thinking of trying 4 plants??Love the article and the 3 seed thing makes me wonder why I never thought of it before..Guess thats why I am a grasshopper and you are Master Puff..:hello:

11. What's the point of having a reservoir tank and flood/drain parts of the bubble bucket? Can't you just keep the nute water in the bucket throughout time? Just switch out water when diff nutes are required?

Or do you have to fill/drain each bubble bucket at specific times? If so, how often do you do this?

Can someone explain the fill/drain/watering part of the bubble bucket for me.. pretty please?

12. I have found using a res for the Bubble Bucket system is bloody important, as the plants grow, the root mass takes up a lot of room in the buckets, so eventually you can only get a few litres in the bucket, the PH swings are also insane due to lack of water. A nice big res and you will hardly notice PH swings.

Its allright when they are small to just use the bucket, i find my 20litre buckets are totally full by the end.

The fill drain, i basically just keep topping up my res to keep the nute strength and PH perfect. About every 20 days i will do a full flush of system, quick clean, and start again. I have no idea if you even have to flush but i am sure salts build up.

Hope that helps.

13. hey guys im starting my first DWC grow, and i was wondering what the ratio of gallons of water to gallons per hour(air pump) is?? With my current setup im averaging about 8 GPH of air for every gallon of water. There seems to be a sufficient amount of bubbles, but like i said, this is my first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. Hi there folks. I have a 20 Gal rubbermaid container with 5 net pots. What I was wondering is can you root prune in DWC? I know in soil Bonsai will be dry enough to heal a pruning, Will DWC roots heal properly.

I'll be growing clones for a SOG. I've been reading a lot about Aquaponics. If root pruning is an option I'd like to keep fish in the reservoir. If not I'm gonna need to setup a seperate "pond" reservoir.

I'd like to grow organic so please no mention of nutes or debating hydroponic vs aquaponic. Just SOG and root pruning tips.

15. 24/7 for any size

16. If I'm supposed to keep the roots out of light to discourage algae growth how would I top off water levels and nute levels? Also when I'm topping off, where do I place the plant? I don't want to destroy it by doing something like just placing the roots on the floor, I doubt balancing the plant itself will be much of a problem since I plan to LST.

17. whats your recommendation on where to get seeds from big poppa puff? it would be a shame to go through all that work and use seeds that come from a cheap bag of weed.
    what strains do well with this kind of set up and and what are your feelings on LED lights vs CFL vs HPS and MH lights.
    im a super newbie to all this and want to get all the facts straight before i start my 1st ever grow.

18. im just learning but.. topping off means.. filling it to the top? i looked around but no ones really said what topping off was.. so im assuming its just filling it to the top.. correct me if im wrong

19. You are correct. I normally fill my rez to the desired level and then 'mark' it with a permanent marker. This is the 'top' of my water level... as it drops and I 'top it off', I just fill it back up to the marker.

Funny how us stoners complicate even the most simple topics... I'm just as guilty. heh...