Bubble bucket hydro method 101

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Big Poppa Puff, Feb 20, 2004.

1. just built a four plant setup in an 18 gallon dark blue rubbermaid container..couple ?'s

1) will the roots all get tangled with eachother--and does it matter since the container is so big?

2) the container is realllllly dark blue and i ductaped the top once with black duct tape---should that be enough?

2. also...the four net pots are semi close together..not too much tho..its just that it is a four plant setup for the 18 galon reservoir..what would be a good strain for this

3. hi im new, i want to hear more about growing hydr using buckets, can u tell me more?

4. dude, just read the thread from the beginning

5. sounds good i just started in a 4 gal tub kind of like a rubber maid but hard clear plastic an used 2 4in net pots 2$each a 12in air stone3$ an a pump for 15$ at wal mart rated for a 80gal tank opened a trash bag flat an pulled it around the tub an closed the top over the ends of the bag that hang in side the tub filled it up with 3 1/2 to start now using 4 gals of water mixed with dyna grow i have all 3 grow bloom and protekt im using protekt an grow now mixing 2 gal of protekt with 2 gal of grow an filling it up i have a 2 foot t12 flor light on 24/7 an there about a month an a half old an looking great so its workin good so far the ph is around 6-7 an ther about 6-8 in tall with some roots coming out the bottom an sides of the pots

any questions or anything i might be doing wrong please tell me

6. If you can't get a pH tester, I'd at least get a roll of pH paper and some pH up and pH down solutions (or baking soda and vinegar, respectively).

Problems I've had with my current dwc grow included problems that I believe started with a high pH (my test paper showed a color that looked like 7- I had chlorosis and leaf burn, wilting, on old growth). Deficiencies start to show with nutrient lockout, which can begin with a pH higher than 6.5 (read from GC!).

I added small capfuls of vinegar until the pH registered at the 6 color spot on. Vinegar, only because I'm on a very limited budget at the moment!

Oh and Id put in a fan too.
    peace

7. i have the ph drops an up an down but not a ppm meater keep it from 6-7 an the roots are startin to take off o have a few that are touching the bottom of the tub now

8. Nice! mad props to you bro.

Here's mine so far, 2 weeks into flowering.
    [​IMG]

As of today I spot 35 budsites that, properly tended, have the potential to grow me some biga$$ buds. Lets see some more pics from yall!

9. my pics are up on my post they look kinda small for a month but hey its my first dro ive grown dirt for about 3 years an they all had about an o a plant

10. i got 4 bubble buckets setup and ready, cant fuckin wait

but lemme get this straight
    What does a EC meter exactly do? i got a ph and tds meter but i didnt know a ec meter was mandatory
    under 250ppms for seedlings and than the ppms should gradually rise week by week?
    oh and is that 250 ppms of nutrients? like say the water from my tap is 150 ppms...i put nutrients in till it reaches 250 more?

11. if you have PH and TDS ur fine.

Raise your PPM to 250 (not 250 above 150) see how the plants do, gradualy increase

its easyer than you'd think

12. I just built myself 3 bubble buckets myself and I dont have a clue what to do. Should i put fertilizers (organic) in the water?? and how often do I need to change the water??
    Thanks

13. hey hey.
    Ok ive had my seedlings on drippers in small pots with vermiculite. they sit in the lid of my bucket. they are almost 3 inches tall now and i think the roots are ready and long enough for me to change my system to a bubbler.
    Any idea what meduim i can use instead of rockwool or clay pebbles? I say this cuz here in south africa its almost impossible to find. I know i would have to change to meshed pots but not sure what medium i could use.
    Any advice?
    Cheerz

14. another good idea is to go to ur local fish store n buy a water pump and tubing and a splitter the splitters come in 2,4,6,8 holes so they work good and make a drip system insted of having the water just sit on the bottom it help move the water with the airpump and keeps the neutrients from settling to the bottom of the resevior

15. I tryed the bubblebuckets and liked it. Simple and straight forward. But I have to admit that my airo setup is even easier and I got better growth with it. I really like it. It is very similiar to the unit shown in april Cannabas Culture Magazine. "How to Build a Aeroponic Unit" except I used 9 inch instead of 6 inch......excellent instructions and I recommend it for a person handy with a hammer.

16. BPP; excellent thread, i will try this method when I get more grow experience. This is a little off topic, but I just wanted to ask Froggy a question about his yield; you said that you got 1.5oz in 3-4 months, I have a buddy who used to grow soil who got 4oz/plant, in that smame time frame, and he kept his plants small (indoor)...??? Do you just keep your plants very small or what? Because I thought most plants averaged a higher yield than that? Thanks.

17. Bubble Buckets work great... They grow fast and well if you look after them properly...

zen_420: yield really depends on experience of the growe, strain and conditions....

18. Hi Folks,

I recently built my bubble bucket system that is located in a enclosed cupboard in spare room in my house. It all seems to be setup properly and I got the nutes added without too much confusion. The ph is a little alkaline but I am using a liquid ph tester so don't really know how accurate that is.

I have a 400 watt hid lamp and the whole space is mylar'd up with silver mylar.

I germinated a couple of seeds in damp tissue paper for a few days and the seeds cracked and the root came out. I then soaked a couple of rockwool cubes in some water over night and then made sure they were not sodden with water. I then put the seeds in to the two rockwool cubes about the seeds hight below the surface and covered them up being careful not to damage the root whch was pointing down the way.

I then put the two cubes at the bottom of my hydropot and filled in the space around it with clay pebbles.

I then put the pot into the bubbler with the water/nute solution with the level just below the pot with the bubbles popping below and spraying up some solution onto the bottom of the pot.

I put my light on and sealed up the closet, I checked each day and made sure not too much water was evaporating but the seedlings didn't grow any more. :eek:

So I wasn't sure what the problem was but after reading about lots of sites I think it may be that the room was too hot (not enough air circulation). When I opened it up it wasnt really that hot. My lizard tanks are hotter and they only use 100 watt bulbs to heat them.

So this time I want to do it right as I only have a few seeds left.

So far I have germinated another seed in tissue again in my cupboard in my bedroom which is dark and warm. This time round I put the seed in the rockwool and left it in the cupboard and I know have a little shoot with two little leaves and another couple of tiny leaves just inside these leaves.

The thing i'm scared about is putting this in the room with the lamp and killing it. Do you guys think my problem could be the heat? or lack of air circulation?

I have a fan (small office type fan) in the room which blows onto the top of the bubbler and there is a small gap along the top between the door and the top shelve that the lamp hangs from that lets any excess heat escape from the room. As I said the room doesn't seem too hot.

I'm going to put the light on tomorrow without the plant in it and measure the temps to see what they go up to.

Any ideas where I could be going wrong? Did I just put the first seeds in too early before they had the little leaves on it? and will it just kill my new seedling if I put it in the grow room now?

Any help would be great.

here's a picture of the new seedling, I'll put some pics of the setup up soon.

[​IMG]

I have never grown like this before so i'm a bit of a noob but I have grown in soil before with natural light not very successfully I may add but it still managed to get to a few feet tall.

Looking at the size of some of you guys plants after just a few weeks amazes me, that little seedling can get so big in such a short space of time?

19. Keep it under a florescent lamp until you get roots showing outside the rock wool.

Now it's time to put the sprout in the main grow area under the grow lamp of your choice. Until you have roots below your basket, keep the lamp higher then normal.

Remove half the hydrotron pebbles from a mesh basket that fits your bubbler. Place the cube and sprout into the basket. Fill the basket to incase the rock wool cube.

Bring your bubbler's nutrient level to just touch the bottom of the mesh basket. The level depends on how much bubbles you have, so some setups with low air pressure you might have to bring the level to 1/4"- 1/2" above the bottom of the basket. The key is to check on it a few times the first 24 hours.

Before walking way, fill a glass with nutrient and wet the pebbles and rock wool real good.

Your nutrient should be 50% veg.

When you see roots coming out of the basket, drop the nutrient level to 1" below the bottom of the basket. Maintain this level throughout your grow.

Change the nutrient to 100% veg. and finish your veg cycle.