BT Killer with 3 weeks to go???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Furyus01, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I sprayed last about 2 1/2 weeks ago with the hopes of not having any issues this season. I just found 2 small green "worms" on a bud this morning... Fearing the BT I last sprayed has deteriorated I want to spray one last time but fear whether it will effect the flavor of my herb? I don't want to effect the taste but I also don't want to lose any yield to these bastards either. Is BT safe to spray with 3 weeks left???

PS: I inspected my 6 plants the best I could (over 10' tall) and didn't find any "poop" anywhere beside where I found the 2 but with so much to inspect I could easily have missed more.....

2. NO

Just pick them off

3. "No" what? It will effect taste? You have experience with using it late and it effecting the taste? Your response couldn't have been less informative to be honest. They get into the middle of buds and rot them from the inside out so picking them off is not a good option. Im specifically asking about peoples experience with BT during bud...

4. I to have found 2 worms on my only girl, I dont know what BT is but the stuff I got to spray said on the lable that you could use it up to "day of harvest" as far as taste goes, ?? I worry most about what it will do to my lungs not to mention the tricombs. With plants as big as yours picking them off doesn't sound reasonable. Sorry I couldn't be more help,luck be on you.

5. No worries, at least you had some info ha ha. BT is short for Bacterium Thuringiensis and is a naturally occurring bacteria that pretty much melts the stomachs of the worms that feed off of it. It works awesome and I love to see the little shriveled bodies of the dead. Especially cuz you know they suffered :) but can't find any credible information on effecting the taste with 3 weeks to go.....

6. Yeah, to bad we can't just go to Navlet's and say I'm growing "this" and how will "that" affect the taste? The old lady at the counter would crap!

7. If you dont know what the possible side effects of BT are when smoked you should not just assume there ar not any. Also assuming the company tested the things they are stating is not a good idea. I dont believe anything you would not drink should be sprayed on them at this point, for safety.

So, no just pick them off, was the short answer. If I can handle my worm infestation without spraying, anyone can.

8. The side effects aren't in question. Its a totally organic naturally occurring part of nature that has been utilized since the early 1900's so the science is in. My question was on the possible effects to flavor if sprayed on buds with 3 weeks to go... You aren't the source Im looking for if your not even familiar with BT.

9. I bought some BT about 2 weeks ago and used it then. I found about 5 eggs 2 days ago and one pillar yesterday morning. I havested them, 4 clones eight weeks into flower, when I came home from work. So I'll let you know how it is when they dry.

10. I would appreciate that but unfortunately time is my enemy so ASAP would be epic on your part! Thanks :)

11. #11 stupidstuff, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
    Ok well show me the data on inhaling the burnt form Of BT? I thought so.

I love the occurring in nature part. You forgot to mention that it occurs in small concentrations, not the % by volume you get. But hay, natural nicotine is the same as the concentrated stuff right;) oops it kills when concentrated. Which makes it NOT ORGANIC because its concentrated and not derived from nature but from cultures. NOT ORGANIC.

In fact the ingestion of BT producing GMO crops is a HUGE debate right now. Just look up the side effects of eating it. lol. So your way arong on what you know about BT.:p

Apparently you are the one needing to familiarize yourself with Bacillus thuringiensis and the side effects of high levels in your system.

12. #12 Furyus01, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
    Im very familiar with it and its been being used for long enough that if it caused serious health problems we would have seen it. Take your ego somewhere else because I was looking for specific answers that you don't have...

BTW: You may want to contact Wiki cuz their page calls it harmless. Cites the only study claiming ill effects (run by Greenpeace) and discounts it for bad science. Your wrong! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

13. if you use it wait a while and hose off your plants with water

14. it may be harmless to eat but we don't know about smoking

15. i used some insectiside stuff made from flowers...Seemed to kill some worms but i had one that just kept walking and didn't die

16. i myself picked worms for 3 days

17. Its supposed to metabolize completely within 2 weeks and even faster in sunlight. I sprayed it today considering I have at least 3 weeks left I feel ok about it. Not like its neem oil :D BT is such a common product and has been used by growers for decades so if there were significant issues I can't help but feel that they're probably not significant. I will definitely post back here as it develops, whether it took care of the problem (should), and the effect on flavor if there is any.

18. There is a GMO cotton plant that produces BT 'naturally' it works great, unless conditions get less than ideal then a plague of disease sweeps across the GMO cotton while natural cotton is untouched. Just thought I would throw out the fun fact. Azamax is good up to day of harvest, same with organacide but like most I would prefer to not use it the last week to two weeks

19. BT is also a key component in agent orange along with DDT