Bt for Caterpillars

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by adillon1690, Sep 28, 2016.

1. So I'm in the middle of flush about to pull my plants in a week or two depends how fast I start yellowing I quit feeding nutrients but today I noticed a rotten bud on my plant I pull the infected area out and start to break the bud apart and behold I have a bud worm!!!!

So my question is what should I do is the BT made by safer okay to use. I'm about to harvest in a week or two like I said and idk what route to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2. @adillon1690
    You should have been using BT weekly all through flower right up to a couple of days before harvest..
    Green Cure is another one to use outside on a weekly basis to keep the Powdery Mildew to a minimum..
    Running a bug zapper close by helps limit the moths that are the trouble in the first place..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is my first grow so it's a learning curve here for me. I'd hate to see this thing rotten. [​IMG]

4. I agree with the previous post, if they're inside the buds by now and you've found one I would bet there are more... BT, green cure, they may help some but they don't these products are mostly only effective on the surface they're sprayed on and BT works inside the intestinal tract of the caterpillars so they have to eat it so your looking at about 3 days for it to become effective. I would definitely recommend using a spreader, sticker to keep the product as effective as possible. Optic foliar transport is a good product, I only add a teaspoon per litre and it works great for me. Some will also say you shouldn't spray for the last two weeks, I've had it sprayed up until the last days with no ill effect. I would spend some time going through the entire plant digging deep to manually remove them... Next year use BT and neem or Azamax rotate the two and you should have better results... Good luck on the way the girls look great btw

Sent from my LGMS345 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. How often should I spray with the BT during the week?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. I found just the one. I did a quick look threw looking for more rotten buds but I didn't notice any more infected areas. I know these little bastards burrow into your nugs and eat and then drop poo inside them making them rot/ grow mold.

Everytime I seen this I removed the bad area and threw out the rotten buds which may had these things in them. I didn't check inside them . I didn't think this would be an issue for me beings my nights drop down to a low of 40-55*F. I figured by this time of year temps drop at night and bugs won't lay any more eggs. Obviously not the case.

Should I rinse this stuff off my plants b4 I harvest or how would you do it?

7. I'd spray only once a week but I wouldn't spray it the last 3-4 days before harvest. When I personally grow outdoor I spray my plants with just plain tap water to remove any dust or debris off the plant 24 hours before the chop... I've done this with and without and I've never noticed any difference in the finished product. Also remember that these moldy areas obviously have spores that spread very easily throughout your garden and you'll notice alot more areas that you didn't see when you do cut them down... Just keep a very close eye on it and you should be okay... Caterpillars suck

• Like Like x 3
  8. I appreciate the reply very helpful, Thanks

9. Best thing to do is mix a tablespoon of sesame oil per gallon of water when you're making your BT mix, and the best time to spray is at dawn. Caterpillars feed at night, so having fresh BT on the leaves when they're feeding seems to have the best results. The sesame oil helps the BT stick to the leaves better, and make sure you focus on spraying the under-side of the leaves, as this will have the best results. Can spray twice a week if they're spreading, or once a week if the situation is contained.

Having a bug zapper is also a very good tool to have. Helps deter the moths from the garden and greatly limits the amount of eggs laid.

10. I'm going to try the Bt and see what happens. Trichomes are about 80cloudy/20amber. Im trying to keep it going another 2 weeks depending on the Caterpillars and bud rotting.

It's to rain here where I'm at for the next 2-3 days and I been debating to put them in my garage to prevent unwanted moisture to my budZ. Any suggestions?

Outdoor season is near in my parts so I've been considering trying a single plant indoors.

Where do I begin?
    I'm not trying to get all crazy just enough to get myself by.

Debating wether to do LED or T5s. I know MH and Hps is the way to go but I don't need a huge yield just playing around with it trying to save a little money doing my own.

11. This is a week ago what y'all think?

[​IMG]

12. Looks great, from what I can see your trichomes are nice and milky. I'd start flushing now... Two weeks might be good and might not if you don't want couch lock bud. I read somewhere recently that said that thc production is at its maximum when trichomes are cloudy. Once they're amber they are becoming oxidized and losing potency... I researched it and believe what I've read and have now tried this on my first 2 plants and the high is awesome. Though I am trying this method now this grow and will be running my final plant to about 50% amber and test the difference if any...

Truly beautiful plant btw, very nice job... What's the strain?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I was debating on pulling now because of these Caterpillars. . . I have two plants I was gunna pull one if anyone though it may be done at this time. Then let the other go treat with bt and see what happens for another week

The strain Idk I grabbed some clones from my cousin. I forgot what he had told me and I doubt he remembers what they are. Next grow I'm looking to get some indoor seeds and see where that takes me. Idea on a good strain?

14. Also I forgot to ask would pulling them with Caterpillars hurt anything with my budZ? Or should I treat them and pull. I killed about 5 today after work going threw the plant...

15. Oh yeah, get as many of the little fuckers off that you can and treat the plant... As far as a strain indoors there's just too many to choose from... Depends on what you like really... I love chemdawg, sour diesel, lemon haze, gg4 but those are ones that I like the best, some have longer flowering cycles some don't, some yield more than others, some are known to produce higher thc levels, etc. it really depends on what your liking for

16. So I should treat plant b4 I pull. I don't want then to rotten away. I can't get to my local hydro store until Friday and alot can happen between now and then

17. They dont look ready to me.

18. We have something we've used for years called "Seven Dust." It's a white powder that you sprinkle all over your plants. It will kill any caterpillars/bud worms you have and will prevent the hatching and growth of new ones. I put this stuff on my plants for about the last month of the outdoor grow season before I plan to pull. The white butterflies lay their eggs on the buds and the larvae hatch out and you get caterpillars and bud rot. You better take the plant and be thankful you get what you get because it's just going to spread and get worse. We got it for the first time about 3 years ago and lost a lot of 4 beautiful plants I had grown off on the deck. But next grow, get you some of that stuff. You can rinse it off the plant when you harvest and it works like a charm. Sorry...what a total bummer!! TWW

19. What's gunna happen when I pull these plants? Am I gunna have Caterpillars crawling out of my buds? I'm a nervous wreck. I got enough on this plant to last me a few months.

20. You need to spray with Spinosad or Bt or both on 4-5 day intervals until harvest. Do not use Sevin on your cannabis. You should look at the SDS toxicology sheets before smoking Sevin treated plants. Especially read section 3.1 about inhaling fumes from this chemical. Spinosad and Bt are harmless to humans and will achieve control of the insects. If you don't treat, you will have caterpillars eating and shitting in your buds.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/...rand_XLR_Plus_Carbaryl_Insecticide_MSDS1t.pdf

PW