Grasscity - Black Friday Sale - up to 70% Discount

BT experiment - Bud Worms

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by NorthBayNugs, Sep 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. so yesterday my neighbor tells me he is getting destroyed by worms this last week so I scour my garden and find on plant with damage so I doused (1/2 G plant) them with BT last night using a sprayer. Starting at the bottom and getting the underside all the way up and then going back and blasting each cola (I grow Sativa dominant strains so this is feasible) with the BT solution. This morning I went out and found two baby worms and one adult. I have placed the worm and a chunk of damaged flower in a jar to see if the BT has already taken effect (they stop eating upon consumption of BT). Curious to see how quickly they stop eating....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. When you catch them do they have a sticky string /web attached to them. Sometimes they fall and hang by it???

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

3. Isn't there a three day period for heavy infestation?
    Hold on... lemme look..... I didn't write it down....
    Got it.
    Thuricide; every three days with active caterpillars; from their PDF.

Pinch those adults! BT works on the larvae.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nope. They are always buried in the bud spiraling there way up the cola...

5. #6 NorthBayNugs, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Update -48 hours after applying BT worms is alive but definitely not eating and hardly moving and there is only one turd in the jar.

I’ll apply every 3-4 days till harvest.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cool experiment, I’m curious to see how it goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I sprayed BT directly on a caterpillar that was on my plant when I was spraying in general and I watched it die. It injested it and started like jerking its body you could tell it was being killed. The bacteria destroys the caterpillars stomach from the inside out.

Heres an excerpt from an article:
    When the bacteria is consumed by certain insects, the toxic crystal is released in the insects highly alkaline gut, blocking the system which protects the pest’s stomach from its own digestive juices. The stomach is penetrated, and the insect dies by poisoning from the stomach contents and the spores themselves

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. I saw it happen almost immediately..I legit sprayed my nozzle straight into the caterpillars face cause I was curious too how fast it would work

• Like Like x 1
  9. Update - worm is still alive but not eating, there are two little white turds in there so I’m thinking that’s a result of the pH chance in his gut. I threw a little chunk of fresh flower and he didn’t eat it.

My understanding is the BT changes the alkaline gut and then they are unable to digest anything and they starve to death.

Hypknos - are you sure you didn’t drown him? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cool stuff to know man. You're in my area, what's your timeline looking for harvest? It's going to start getting cold in the next week.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BT weekly once in flower and you wont have any worms. Great stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. My garden this year was started from seeds that were F2’s so I have a ton of variability going on. All strains are very Sativa dominant and look to need another ~3-4 weeks. I have a few Black Jacks that look like they will be done in a week or two and a few Sativa Blueberries that look like they need 6 more weeks!

Everyone I’ve talked to agrees that this season seems to be running a few weeks later than usual...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Right on, so I'm not crazy. I've got some "quick" stuff looking like it needs another 2-3 weeks, and a sativa that literally could probably grow another month if weather allows.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fucker is still alive - barely. I thought he was dead but disturbed him and he started moving around...6 days after spraying.

Haven’t seen any other damage or worms and sprayed again yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  15. Thanks for the info. Useful to add to my notes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Good info, I guess they don't die right away. Best to apply the BT early in flower

17. ive had the pillar problems maybe times, this year i used a neem in mid veg to like mid flower and i used a bt solution in flower as well before the pillers were really a problem. havent had nearly as many problems this year. prevention is the best cure. ipm in early veg thru with neem or other organic methods . bt flower is good for bud worms.

also outdoor growers particularly look up doc buds bud wash technique i hear good things ;) cleans your buds like you would produce for cleaner smoke/buds with little to no loss of terps and thc if done right

• Like Like x 1
  18. So the worm eventually starved to death at day 8. Been applying BT 5-7 days at 3/4 teaspoon / G. First worm I’ve seen since then is below - looks like he hatched ate a few bites of BT coated flower and proceeded to starve to death. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1