Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Brownie Edibles, What'd I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by beyobe, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Hello, so I made my first batch of edibles the other day.
    I used only 6 grams of Tahoe OG in 1/2 cup of coconut oil for 2 hours and 30 minutes at 250 degrees.

Then poured that coconut oil into the pre-packaged brownie mix, added the eggs+water and baked them.

The taste of the weed is there slightly, especially after they cooled off.
    But I had just about 2-4 brownies worth depending upon how large you cut your brownies, and I got a light buzz after about 1-2 hours and that's it, never got an actual high one hit from a bong would have done more.

This being said. Did I use too little weed for an entire pan of brownies? Or what was the issue.

2. Did you decarb the weed before Infusing it with the oil?? If you didn't that could be why you didn't get very high..

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Maybe they were too weak, and you need to eat more, but that depends on how many you made.
    The total THC in those brownies was about (0.15)*(6000 mg) = 900 mg thc

If you made the common number of 16, then each would have about
    1 Brownie = 900 mg/16 = 56 mg, assuming a good decarb, which you might not have had.

It's possible that something went wrong, and decarb was bad in some cases.
    My experience is that the first use of a new herb is the best use, and the body quickly builds up a tolerance to a strain. I rotate among several different strains to avoid this.

Next time decarb in air @ 240 F for 40 min, grind to fine powder, add an approximately equal weight of lecithin, pre-heat the mixture to 220 F on a stove top, and bake the herb, oil, and lecithin together for about 20 min @ 220 F. Then quickly cool, and use.

You can do this with a tiny batch of herb, even 1 gram, but in that case it's easier to use nut butter instead of a too-big box mix. If you decide to do a test run of this nut butter method, which is based on BrassNwood's excellent methods, he recommends freezing the mixture, then doing another 20 min @ 220 F. I've made thousands of doses of this stuff doing that, and it's excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You didn't decarb it sounds like

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. A decent in-oil decarb can be done the way beyobe did it, so he did decarb.
    The longer heating time needed to decarb in oil isn't as efficient as the shorter in-air decarb, because too much herb is destroyed over that long time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Decarb the weed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Did you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Decarboxylation is a chemical reaction that removes a carboxyl group and releases carbon dioxide (CO2). Usually, decarboxylation refers to a reaction of carboxylic acids, removing a carbon atom from a carbon chain.

You need put whatever weed/hash/dabs ect in the oven at 240 F/ 115.5 C for 40 minutes to decarb it.. you should also get an oven thermometer to make sure your temps are accurate

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Noted for next time, I should have jsut come here instead of going on youtube.

Youtube told me to grind bud into the pan once my oil was 250 degrees and cook it for 2-3 hours then strain, and it's ready.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. The straining process can lose a significant fraction of the medicine.
    All the oil can't be separated from the residue, and the residue will still have medicine.
    Strained oils can be anywhere from 30-80% efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  11. You pretty much did everything right apart from the decarb dude.. I learnt the hard way to man it sucks lol:laughing:

If you do make edibles again eat 1/4 of a brownie then wait 1-2 hours & eat more if needed.. that way you'll find ur sweet spot & won't green out or anything lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. While there are many ways to make edibles some are much more efficient then others. Several things factor into the experience. Decarb, Oil used, Lecithin, Binding, Strained or not and this is just the canna oil part. The food is a separate issue.

Decarb = chop buds into pea sized nuggets, Bake uncovered in oven 240 F for 40 minutes.
    Grind to flour grade dust.

5 grams decarbed Cannabis. Kief, Hash, Concentrates, Powdered buds.
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin (any kind)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (skip if you didn't freeze)
    Done.

This gives you a tablespoon of high strength mud. Can use it as is or add to more oil for cooking.
    Fills about 30 (0) sized caps if you go that route.
    This does the best job of binding the lecithin, oil and cannabis.

[​IMG]

The Mr. Coffee mug warmer keep the mud like mixture hot so it flows easy in an eyedropper.

[​IMG]
    Mine are done with 160 micron Kief and are in the 80mg range.
    Simple effective recipe I've used for several years and thousands of capsules.
    They keep my medical issues well under control. The side effect is a hell of a wicked stone that last and lasts and. :)
    Even with bud I'd start with 1-5 drops if your using it directly.
    5 grams @ 15% THC = 750mg for the tablespoon made with buds.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. I will tell you my way. First, I only use leaf for making butter. I never throw leaves away. They make great butter. Decarb takes place while your plant matter is in the butter and water at about170-80 degrees Fahrenheit. I limit my extraction simmering to about 30 minutes or less. I let it cool to the point that it won’t hurt my hands to squeeze the plant matter over a sieve to drain right back in the cook pot. Once the cook pot only contains the nasty water with the melted butter or margarine floating on top, it goes into the fridge long enough for the butter to harden. I poke 2 holes, one on each side of the solid butter and pour the water off. I collect the butter and put it in plastic containers and then to the fridge or freezer.
    The butter will get you plenty stoned already. At first I made brownies and back in the 70’s and 80’s one of my brownies would overpower a qualude. My brownies were the stuff of legend and were written up in Biker Lifestyle magazine by Bob Bitchin. I quit making brownies and started making cookies because the brownies were 8 hours of paralysis. Brownies are in the oven for 30 minutes while cookies can be out in less than ten minutes and the difference in the buzz is dramatic. I can enjoy a cookie high much more than a brownie high. Currently I am just mixing honey with my green butter and spreading it on a piece of bread and it’s a very good 8 hour buzz. Oatmeal cookies are my go to recipe for cooking.
    Don’t let the water boil but realize that170-180f is hot enough to decarb and infuse the butter and 20-30 minutes is plenty of time at that temperature. Stir it while it’s simmering.

• Funny Funny x 1

14. Decarb doesn't work like that you have to put whatever your using to make the butter in the oven for 40 minutes at 240 F lol, you're wasting your trim if you don't decarb.

15. If I wasn't getting me or anyone else high I might wonder about decarbing but I know from experience that the longer it is exposed to that much heat the quality of the high goes from breathtaking to pure couch lock with extra drool. And don't even think you can use that time to watch a movie. it may take 30-40 minutes of heat, but if you are exposing to heat during the boiling down for half an hour and then heat again for 10 minutes to bake an oatmeal cookie, you have done your decarb. Sure the waterbath is aiming for under 200f, but the cookie is exposed to 350f for just a tad under 10 minutes but I'm pretty certain the temp remains in the zone for a minute after removing. Doing a separate decarb just means that you can eat the plant and get high right then. Any cooking you do aftter that just makes the outcome sleepier and sleepier.

16. You should go back to the drawing board, and use BrassNwood's excellent method, or a simplified version like I posted above.

I've made thousands of cookies this way, and they are excellent.
    I do cool the cookies rapidly.
    10 min in a 350 oven won't over-decarb significantly, because the oil "protects" the thc, and internal temps don't get that hot. There will be slight over-decarb of the cookies' outer layers.
    I also make other things (tincture and nut butter spread) using similar recipes and exactly the same herb amounts, and they all work about the same.