brown spots on 1 leaf

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by 5mokestacks, Jan 24, 2011.

1. #1 5mokestacks, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
    i know my camera sucks and you cant really see the spots but they are there.there is only 1 leaf that has brown spots on it but the rest of the plant looks fine.i woke up this morning and checked the plant and the spots got worse.but still the rest of the plant looks fine.im not giving any nutes yet just water and the ph is in the 5's.i am using the liquid ph testing kit so i cant get a accurate number.but it is in the 5's.also that 1 leaf is turning yellowish in color.does anyone have any clue what might be happening....i hope it doesnt spread through out the whole plant.

Attached Files:

• iu.jpg
      iu.jpg
      File size:
      545.9 KB
      Views:
  2. so i just read that it could be due to chlorine in the water.but could it also be due to over watering.i wouldnt think it would be due to nutes but at the time im not giving any yet.

3. If you plan to transfer to a bubble bucket or something, now would be the time to do that and start using 1/4 strength nutrients.

4. Agree....unless you set out your water for 24 hours, possible chlorine problems

Please post again how your adjusting ph...using a ph pen? Calibrated?

5.8 get there......gotta get your water to 5.8

Once again posting from the phone

5. get it planted then start giving it 1/4 strength nutes. Wait till medium is dry before watering. If your going to soil get ph up to 6.5

6. ok in this pic you can see the leaf turned brown.but is it normal for the other leaves to be droopy like this i know its still early..

Attached Files:

7. yeah its really early to tell... a little stretch but thats normal some times

your camera takes good pictures... its just not focusing well

put a sheet of white paper behind the plant and take a pic... make sure to focus on the plant... because i can see divots on the hydroten... i know you can take a better picture of the plant

keep the updates coming

8. thank i just learned something new this on should be better

Attached Files:

9. If that's tin foil, get rid of it. Tin foil will burn your plant.

What type of lights are you using and how close are they? Have you added nutrients yet?

10. #10 Tihspeed, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
    looks like a balloon... cheap mylar... if it is.. thats ok

but like bullistic says.. if its tinfoil, get rid of it

nice camera skills... nice improvement...

your plant looks really good... some drooping is fine... your stressing your plant out moving it and stuff... so a watched clock does not move... check your baby twice a day... and all should be fine

nice update

11. it was tin foil and i got rid of it asap.dont need anything else making her get worse.i appreciate all that you guys are telling me.

12. hydro stores sell a white plastic shield exactly like what you were trying to do... cover the hydroten

13. i just made my own to from the top of a cottage cheese container.

Attached Files:

14. That works, however with something white you not only benefit from light not getting in your res, but also light will reflect back off it. You had the right concept with the tin foil, just wrong material.

15. Your plant needs nutrients to grow and watch for heat (lamp, foil)

16. i put nutes in it and just now had to dump it and replace it with just water cuase the tips were turning yellowish brown.which i assumed was nute burn

17. I started using nutrients when mine was smaller then that. Are you sure you didnt have too much nutrients? What I did was mix up 1 gal of nutrient solution as it said on the instructions, then poured it in my bubble bucket and added 3 more gals of pure water. Do you have a pic of what your seeing?

Edit: How about give us a run down on what you all got now. Lights, temps, PH levels, etc...

18. #18 5mokestacks, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
    what you think nute burn.it was at 1/4 strenth strain is super lemon haze using 2 100 watt cfl lights was just 1 til yesterday..am using the liquid ph tester til my digital one gets here.ph is in the 5's. in a big storage container

Attached Files:

19. That almost looks like a nitrogen deficiency based on this link: Marijuana Plant Abuse

Although if you mixed up your nutrients right then I cant imagine a plant in a hydro system having a nitrogen deficiency. What nutrients are you using? Are you sure you followed the exact recipe and correctly calculated the percentages? Remember, the recipe usually says what it calls for per gallon, if you want 1/4 of this you have to make sure you do the math right. It might be easier for you to do it like I did, figure out how many gals of water you have, divide by 4 and you have the number of gals of full nutrient solutions to add. Example: if res is 10 gal, divide by 4 is 2.5 gals. So you will need 2.5 gals of 100% nutrient solution and the rest (7.5 gals) will be pure water.

Im wondering if you looked at the recipe and lets say it said add 4 ml of x, did you say "ok gotta do 1/4th so use 1 ml." not thinking that it means per gal?

20. here is what i did my container is filled with 1 and a half gallons.i took the number of nutes per gallonand split it into 4 and i took the half a gallon and split that into 4 also.