Brown spots 5 weeks into flowering *PICS*

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tubro, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Please look at my pics and see if you can help me figure out what's going on. I'm in my 5th week of flowering, and the whole grow has gone perfectly so far. Until now, that is.

2 days ago I noticed a brown spot on one of my leaves. They are multiplying fast! Today I woke up to 10-15 spots, and getting worse.

Here's my setup:

1 Bag seed, lucky as hell that it turned out to be a female

Soil: Happy Frog

Lights: 320 actual watts CFL's About half and half 2700k and 5600k

Nutes: Fox farms Grow big, and Big bloom every 3rd watering at the recommended rate

pH: my pH has never gone higher than 7.0 and never lower than 6.5 for the whole grow. I check it about every other week. and it seems really stable.

Pics:
    1126091108.jpg

This morning I went ahead and transplanted from a 3 gal to a 5 gal pot. It was a little bit root bound. Not bad, but I figured that I'd go ahead and eliminate it as a possible problem.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. My grow has gone spectacularly so far, and I'd really hate to loose this plant on the finish line!

Attached Files:

2. Nice looking plant man. :)

It certainly sounds as though you are doing everything right. :) I would recommend checking you pH more frequently though. You could have had a problem over the course of a week that you didn't detect. I say this because spots on leaves are often the first signs of wonky pH.

Did you build the nutes up to the recommended dose slowly? Or did you go straight in at the recommended dose?
    Do you measure the run off pH or just the pH of the water going in?
    Have you flushed with pH adjusted water?

Don't panic man, we'll get it sussed. :wave: FWIW, I think it's highly unlikely you'll "lose" her. :)

3. Thanks for the quick reply freedom!

When I check pH I measure the runoff. The pH this morning was right at 6.5

I gave 1/2 strength nutes from week 2 to week 5 then bumped up to full strength after that.

As far as flushing goes, I have not flushed at all yet. Do you think that it would be a good idea to flush with pH adjusted water?

4. No problem man. :) I would yeah. Stay off the nutes cos if your pH is fooked then they'll be useless anyway.

Firstly, what sort of pH meter are you using? Are you sure it's accurate? If you are sure, then flush with plain water only. Make sure you use enough water, 3 times the size of your pot, then let the soil dry out again.

What sort of light do you use? You don't foliar feed or spray the leaves do you? No bugs? (Just checking i've covered everything ;))

Keep us updated. :)

5. Check
    I use strips. I'm pretty sure they are telling the truth, but I haven't tested them in any way. Just kinda trusted them.
    I have 134 watts of 2700k CFL's and 216 watts of 5600k CFL's for a total of 350 watts.
    They are positioned above and around the plant. I keep them pretty close. within 3-6 inches.
    Never
    Not that I'm aware of, and I've looked pretty hard. The only way there could be bugs is if they are coming out of the soil at night. Otherwise I think I'd have seen them.

Thanks so much for your help. Your checklist is already helping me put things in perspective. I think that the first thing I need is a proper pH meter, or to test my strips with a known solution to be certain that they are accurate.

Here's a couple more pics of the whole plant. I'm actually quite proud of her for my first grow.
    1126091352b.jpg

The little lady next to her is a clone that I took about a month ago. If I really like how the bud turns out, I will make her a mom. :hello:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dude you are doing GREAT for a first go. :D That is a beautiful plant man.

Imo the strips are a bit shit. Get a digi pH pen, they rock. Shouldn't be too expensive but will pay you back in lovely bud.

I think a flush will see you right. :smoke: GL man.

7. I agree with every move freedom made here and also..hell of a job buddy..
    i did notice a little droop so make sure not to keep them to wet...

IMO....freedom was spot on and folowing her advise will steer ya clear of further issues..
    commonly late in flower between week 6-7 they drop off on nutes they want so ur best to knock down ur dosage...

Great job....

8. Thank you both for the very kind words!

So I have a plan of attack now. First thing tomorrow, I'm going to grab a good pH meter and check her again. Then a flush and a re-evaluation of my fertilizing schedule. I'll update the thread if the spots continue to get worse.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the confidence boost! :hello:

9. If you have the same spots that my plant developed, it is a ph problem, mine was too low and it did a large amount of damage to the foliage. I flushed her really well and she seems to have leveled off. You caught it a bit earlier than I did though, might not be as much damage. But all this assumes your ph is off.

10. :eek::poke: You big cupcake you. :D:wave:

No worries man, we're always here and happy to help. That plant deserves to do well, you have a great green thumb. ;)

11. My spots are still getting worse it seems. I know it's only been a few days, but I'm freaking out. I couldn't find a decent pH meter locally, so I ordered one online. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm still using my strips. I don't really know how to check them to see if they are actually accurate so I'm kind of flying blind.

Anyway here is a new pic of the spots......

spots.jpg

After a little research, the closest problem I could find that looked like mine was a boron deficiency. There are some pics of it here, about halfway down the page...

The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles! - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

So do you think I have an actual boron deficiency, or just lockout due to fucked up pH?

I hope my meter arrives soon!! :(

12. Check out my grow man!! I had the same problem, look at my pics! Flush her with neutral ph water and you will be fine. I had a low ph, around 5. If you just flush her with distilled water, you will be ok. The damage will spread though, if you don't address the problem. Ph problems can mimic nutrient deficiency, because the low ph locks out the nutes. Then, people think they have a nute deficiency, and feed again, compounding the ph problem. Just flush man.

13. Got my meter today!!! :hello:

yeah my pH was off. the strips were reading about .5 to .7 low, it's hard to tell cause you have to match colors up, so it's a bit interpretive. As near as I can figure tho, my plant has been hovering just above 7.0 for most of her life :eek: ...Stupid pH strips :mad:

So I flushed her out with water adjusted to about 5.0 which brought the runoff to about 6.5

I will be checking her every time I water, and be sure she stays there. Any guesses on how long it will take her to respond to the corrected pH? and how long till the soil pH stabilizes?

I also clipped off all of the badly spotted leaves, not enough to cause her problems, just to get the worst ones off since they do no good dead anyway. I figured it'd be a good idea to get rid of them so I can track her progress better. If i see more spots, I'll know that they are new ones.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thank you so much to the people that helped me here. GC is an awesome resource for noob growers!