Brown leaf tips. Help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by dsomers, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Hello All.  I have six plants of a few different varieties that are about five weeks into flowering.  They suddenly have brown leaf tips--just a touch but my fear is that with the sudden onset it will get worse.  (I think it's in the last day, though it's possible I just didn't notice earlier.)  A few plants have more of it, but it's fairly consistent.  The smallest, newest leaves (really tiny ones) have mostly no brown on the tips, though a bit, but it's mostly on larger leaves.  I have been using general organics fertilizer and adjusting the water (with nutrients) to pH 5.5-6.  Temp is in the low 70s, humidity 50-60%.  I've wated with Azamax a few times, do not see any pests.  It sure looks like something to do with water or nutrients, but I'm new to this and unsure how to proceed.  I don't think it would be excess nutrients--that would be more even across the leaves, right?  Any thoughts appreciated!  DS

2. Post pics, possible build up, when's the last time you've flushed.

3. Pics?

what are you growing in, soil?

Sounds like too much nutes or pH imbalance.

4. #4 dsomers, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
    Right.  Here are pictures.  Yes, growing in soil.

I have never flushed!  Should I do that, or for something mild like this is it okay to just water with no fertilizer?  Assuming that's the problem...

Attached Files:

5. #5 Baked Bread Baker, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
    Do you get any runoff when watering? Salts will build up and if you aren't getting runoff/ haven't flushed since multiple feedings then you are just compiling more salts on top of each other.

6. well. now i'm realizing that down low there are suddenly some leaves that are fading and yellowing, which sure looks like nitrogen deficiency.  pictures not working right now.  is it possible the leaf tips could also come from low nitrogen?

7. This is been happening to me too this past 10 days ,day 37 of flower for me ,next it will brown on the edges of leaves,I just flushed with 18 gallons of distilled water for a 7 gal air pot then applied a very very mild fert dose hope this helps [​IMG]

8. #8 Baked Bread Baker, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
    We may be having same issue, I'm still learning so I'm not 100% for your plants.

My vegging plant was going great, waited for n def to be visible before feeding. Fed, watered saw she was still hungry, after a few more feedings with no run off, canopy still looked great, some brown tips on lower older growth, still seeing N def at bottom and dropping bottom leaves.

I also was looking at rootbound as a factor so we have that to take into account.

I flushed and the n def issues/burn have stopped, now I'm looking at phosphorus def at very bottom growth due to flush, just transplanted. I've tried to baby this one on the nutes and watering after issues with first couple grows. If you zoom in you can see the leaf issues on the older lower growth

Pic before transplant.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433737148.779018.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433737174.382107.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433737197.945298.jpg

9. What's the relation of flushing to nutrient deficiency?  Flushing is for excess nutrients, right?  Is there an excess of some and a deficiency of others?

10. you flushed and that should have flushed the [excess built up nutrients out of the soil = salt build up ,you have no deficiencies that I can see the plants look awesome,the lower leaves will turn yellow and die and fall off threwout the flowering stage of growing that's normal

11. #11 Baked Bread Baker, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
    That photo is after flush and transplant.
    Before that I was getting rapid leaf drop on bottom growth still in veg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433792590.089775.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433792620.787101.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433792657.619404.jpg