Broken Stem PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sizzle420, Oct 7, 2011.

1. This is my first time growoing period. Iv'e done quite a bit of homework and also "helped." I have 3 dank plants (don't know exactly what yet). When i transplanted one of them the stem "folded". Will it heal over time or is it not worth trying to save? Also if someone could give me a little more info on watering it would be most appreciated.

2. Can't really help without a picture .

3. You can try to splint it with a tongue depressor (or anything similar. A wooden kabob stick would do nicely) like a doctor would a broken arm or leg. Just don't tie it on super tight. Snug will do. Marijuana is pretty resilient so it might heal if splinted.

As for watering, let the soil dry out (but not bone dry or it will kill the roots) between waterings, and then only give the plants the amount of water that they will use in 24 hours. GL!

4. Depends where you bent the stem. Super cropping is a method of bending/breaking stems and can produce a lot more yield, google it ... may be a beneficial mistake. So, you may not want to do anything with it, no splint or support, and let it heal on it's own. The stem will get real fat and improve water/nutrient uptake. Again, depends on where you bent it. Pic?

5. Tape should work too, if it's real bad. But like Bud said, it should heal over some time. These plants are very hardy and do better once healed.

6. Rally bad camera but, you should be able to see where its bent. This baby will be two weeks old on wednesday. As far as the watering, i was told 2-3 times a day. And now what i've read from this site its 2-3 times a week. I was also wondering how to identify what type of plant it is...?

Attached Files:

7. For seedlings I would recommend keeping the soil constantly moist (but not waterlogged) until it enters veg state. At that point you can use the rule of thumb (two three times a week as needed), but it really depends on a variety of factors, including humidity, temp, soil type, etc. For example, I have to water to some degree every day. But then I live in Colorado where the humidity is quite low and things can dry out fast! I'm rockin' a high-end humidifier 24/7 and struggle to keep the humidity in the grow room above 35%. Also, different strains may be happier with differing levels of moisture. Just avoid bone-dry and waterlogged or pay the price.

As for "type of plant", are you asking strain type or male/female? If you don't already know what strain(s) you have, probably the closest you're going to be able to figure out is whether its Indica or sativa dominant, but you'll have to wait until the plants develop true leaves to make that determination.

8. Looks like it is already starting to heal from the break ... I actually did this 2 weeks ago by accident to one of my seedlings as well and she is the largest one of 4 now!

Watering .... DO NOT use a watering "schedule"! Water when the plant needs it and no more. Basically when the top 2 inches (approx.) of the soil is dry then water. So, yeah, 2-3 times a week is right in line with that. Also, too early to tell if it's mainly Sativa or Indica.

Also, it looks stretchy .... I think your lights may be too far away or you don't have enough lighting.

9. I agree with Bud on all accounts. I'd just leave it alone. Should heal up nicely! And yeah, adjust (or preferably) improve your lighting.

10. I have a 27w flourescent. My buddy used the same bulb and it worked great. and i have the light about 2 ft above them. The other two look much better.

Attached Files:

11. Yeah, move that light to about 3-6 inches above the plant.... fluorescent's don't give off much heat so you don't have to worry about burning them. 2 feet is way to far away. The issue is that if the stem is stretchy like that it will not be strong enough to support big nugs later on.

..... and I suggest a lot more lighting .... especially for vegging and flowering.

12. Yeah, like 600 watts more! :cool:

13. Yeah ... um.... that would work good :smoke:

14. Is there a bulb where i can just leave it at that height? It's kind of not moveable. I mean i could rig something, i'm sure. Just to save me the trouble.

15. Tape works 90% of the time, ive bent and broken many a branches in my time and tape and a lil splint to help hold it upright works very well!

Watering on the other hand is a learning process really and its quite simple, Pick up your pots and feel the weight of them when theyre dry and then pick them back up after you water them and this is how one judges (atleast how i do it), or ya can water til it starts too run off out of the bottom

As for the light if it cannot be moved up and down, Improvise and use something to boost ya plants like tubware bowls, books, concrete blocks, whatever it is you can use :D

16. Oh nice, i never would have thought of such a simple solution.

17. Yes sir regular scotch tape is a miracle solution for our lovely herb, A few years back I had a few plants snap in half outdoors because of high winds and I simply just took some tape and a bandaged where the plants snapped in half and then took some big sticks and used them for support too keep the plants upright, in about 2 weeks time they where all better and way more bushy then before :)

18. I dont like using tape and shit .. Stops the water from flowing if its wrapped too tight.. with my plant i just gave it a support stick and some string and let it heal .. now the stem is fat in the spot it bended .. lol