$@%&!! Broken nipples

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by DT4, Jan 10, 2013.

1. FUUUUCK!!! Don't even know how I did it, but it happened while changing my res. This was from a mail ordered flood and drain kit - it's a little bit longer than anything I've seen in a local hardware store - and it's on the 1/2" flood side (vs. the 3/4" drain side). Any clever ideas for a permanent fix to get me through the next 9-10 weeks??? I know I could just jerry rig it and order another but if i can fix it permanently... silicon maybe? Shove a skinnier tube inside?

Attached Files:

2. #3 DT4, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013

Thank you! Didn't even think of that...

A metal two sided barb fitting would be perfect, is there anything safe to use? I might be able to make a plastic one work...

3. Do not use metal barbs unless they are stainless.

Use plastic to keep the stuff from reacting with the soup as it (the soup) is very caustic.

4. Gotcha. I'm going with a two sided plastic barb and silicone. If it doesn't hold I'm going to have to purchase a $26 tap. :-/

5. Booyah! Hope it holds. And I hope the 3 hr fast set silicone doesn't poison me and my friends. :eek:

Attached Files:

6. You can use a hot glue gun to also stop leaks etc...Give it more strength maybe

7. Nice, haven't heard that suggestion before. How fast does that stuff cure and is it non-toxic/inert? I think the silicone will do it, the nipple actually fit quite snugly into the hole I drilled out, but it was a little rough so I hope the silicone will fill in any gaps.

8. Update... fast set silicone did not work. I set it, waited three hours, tested, everything seemed fine, then I slightly bumped the barb and it popped off. Maybe if I had 24-48 hours to wait, but my girls would not have been happy. So I tried hot glue... not even close. It wouldn't even stick to the plastic, and it's not advertised as being good for plastic. So that didn't work. Decided to go with the tap and wound up buying a $40 set of 6 sizes... I figure they will come in handy in the future. This is what finally worked, no glue, no thread seal, just tap it and screw it! Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys.

Attached Files:

9. I use the hot glue and gun to go around my rubber groments on the outside of my buckets and reseivor, seems to hold ok on them, and stop any leak, but your fixed now and that is all that matters.

10. Yeah, those taps work great though, i've been thinking of all sorts of ways I could use them :D. I appreciate the suggestion.