Broken glass pipe; is it possible to salvage?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Greenlife94, Dec 29, 2016.

1. #1 Greenlife94, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    So my best friend has had this Crush bong for almost 6 years until one day he decided to give it to me as a present since he was taking a break from smoking.

A year later and I've used this pipe with absolutely no problems until tonight when a piece of glass around the down-stem randomly chipped off out of nowhere while the pipe was just sitting at my desk, I didn't even touch it. I speculate that the bowl head might've been plugged in the down-stem a little to tight which created pressure, but I have no idea.

And now of course it's impossible for the bong to hold the down-stem.

Here's what the damage looks like:
    1.jpg 2.jpg

I haven't completely given up hope yet though.The good thing is the two pieces that broke off still fit back into place like puzzle pieces as can be seen in the pic below:

3.jpg

It's also worth mentioning I have a large downstem AND an ash catcher, so if I were to repair it, no heat would be applied to the area in question while I smoke.

I've read about trying certain substances such as Epoxy glue, pig glue and silicone to mold/stick the substance

I've also thought about trying to solder the pieces together with a propane torch, but I'm a bit hesitant to try that.

What methods of repair would you guys recommend?

Any suggestions from people with experience repairing glass would be greatly appreciated, this bong belonged to my best friend and I would feel terrible if there was no way to fix it. Please don't reply if you're just going to say "melt it", looking for people who have experience repairing glass only.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 7+ years is a good life for a glass bong. Retire her with some dignity instead of piecing her back together like the $25 dollar man.

No shitty tape or glue or expoxy in my opinion, just a burial at sea. Good excuse to go out and get a new one. They can be had from inexpensive to really expensive so no matter your financial situation you should be able to find something that does the trick.

• Like Like x 2
  3. It's fixable for sure man. That's shitty that happened to you, u could either glue the piece back in with super glue if it fits or just simply diy somehow I've done it lots before, find something metal or glass that will fit and your good to go. That's a pretty clean break by the looks of it :RoorRip:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sure melt it down and blow it again

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks man, I'll definitely look into the marine epoxy, is there any in particular you recommend?

Thanks for giving me faith lol, will definitely try super glue if all else fails. I do think it's a clean break.

I'd agree if this piece didn't have significance to not only me but the friend who lent it to me, I need to at least try to fix it for his sake. Not to mention if I can salvage it for less than $50, it will be well worth it, even if it breaks again a year from now.

6. Make her into one of these..

IMG_4254.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. I second Lil Dickys idea op

8. Also my God put some acetone and salt in that bong

• Like Like x 1
  9. Good god man use your common sense. That break is waaay to close to the bowl. You will be smoking any type of glue that you use. Buy a new bong.

10. #11 Greenlife94, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    The break is nowhere near the bowl. The area in question holds the downstem (and I'm talking about a large one) which holds the bowl head, PLUS I have an ash-catcher which will provide even more lee-way; no heat would be applied to the area in question, especially if I use my ash-catcher, which I would.

Maybe you guys have a disposable income to blow $300 dollars on glass every time one breaks, at the moment, I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. No. I have about $20 to blow on a new bong and I can get it. It may not say Roor on it but IDC. Go ahead and glue it. Tell all your friends and anyone that smokes from it that it was glued. Have fun.

12. I don't get the hype about ROOR they're super average at a premium price.

OP, my suggestion is to get yourself a cheap but durable bong don't skimp on it though. Get something decent about the same as what you have now; it's time to move up from that style of pipe to something a little better in my opinion, but you can spend 40 now to keep you going and save up for your 150 piece.

peace

13. #14 Greenlife94, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    If you think you can buy a good glass bong with $20 I really don't care for your opinion since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

There are other reliable substances that work, nobody said I have to use glue...As long as it still rips, I doubt my friends will even ask how I repaired it. Plus It's not like they'd be smoking the repaired part...As long as it holds up, who gives a shit?

People have repaired pieces before, I don't know why everyone's acting like it's such an impossibility, I would really only prefer to hear from people with experience in repairing glass, as I stated in the op.

But I will have fun, even if I have to spend $15 on supplies and totally fail at repair at least I can still say I tried to salvage a killer $280 piece that my best friend gave me. You enjoy your $20 "bong" as well, I'm sure your friends are equally thrilled to rip it.

14. You spent $280 on that? Or if your friend did he's fucking stupid. I could order 10 identical bongs of what you have for $280.

Stoner at heart

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oh I'm not going to argue with that, hahaha. He did pay wayyy too much for it, he bought it at your typical overpriced glass shop.

It's still a nice bong though. Like I said, if I can get it to rip again, that's all that matters.

16. West systems 105/ 206 marine epoxy Is thin almost like water . I use it almost once a week .
    It doesn't have a scent ..

Super glue or CA will stink for ever .
    Store bought epoxies like Devcon Or 3M epoxies will stink for months.

You might try liquid plastic by Devcon .
    If you use epoxy, use chewing gum and make a little chewing gum ring around the area that is cracked.
    That will keep the epoxy from running all over your bong .

You could try JB weld from your local hardware store .

17. Holy crap, thank you for the super helpful and informative response. I like the liquid plastic idea and I'll definitely take your advice about the chewing gum if I do use epoxy.

Have a better idea of what I should be looking for, thank you so much my friend!

18. Your welcome .

Way back in in 1980 I used clear silicone to glue a beer can to a respirator face mask .
    The beer can had a hole punched into it for a joint to fit in an had a big carb hole .like bong .
    The silicone stunk for a solid year , but talk about a kick to smoke out of .
    It hit great .....

In my wood shop I only use glue or wooden dowels and everything is a machine fit .

I have used a ton of different glue and epoxies..

I am sorry about your bong breaking .....but your best bet might be to just get another bong or make your own .
    I am old school and own a machine shop and one of those guys who can make allot things and make things that are durable and user friendly ..

I buy materials world wide for my wood shop or my machine shop .
    I don't think I would have any issues with making a first class bong .
    With that in mind , a plastics store might have allot of the pieces you need to make your own bong .
    And most plastics store will machine plastic pieces to your specs or just make what you want made .

Then go to the head shop get a new glass bowl and stem .
    Hardware store for a rubber grommet for the bowl .

Its free to walk into a plastic store and ask .
    Ps You might call a glass shop up and ask about what glue they would use .

You might go online and look at thick walled plastic tubing or go to a plastics store and ask to look at like a 3 ID
    thick walled hi pressure plastic tubing .

Design your own bong and have a bottom piece machined out for a base

19. Wow, that sounds like quite the piece lol.

Yeah, if I fail in repair I do like the idea of making my own. I've never been a good craftsman but maybe it's time to get into it, plus it might be nice to have a non glass piece that doesn't have nearly as high of a risk as breaking.

And yeah, good tip, I'll call my local pipe shop and explain the situation to them, they may recommend a specific brand for fixing glass.

Thanks for the help and the condolences man, I really appreciate everything.

• Like Like x 1