Broken bubbler/glass repair

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by VacuousCL, Jun 26, 2013.

1. #1 VacuousCL, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    I bought a Black Leaf bubbler from GC roughly a year ago. I am unable to find it on the site currently so I attached an image that I found elsewhere.

The piece was hooked up to my Extreme Q, tipped, and shattered on my glass desktop.

Fortunately, the piece (primarily) broke into two large pieces: the neck and the can. The neck is intact with a few chunks missing but I plan on scrapping it. However, the can itself is completely intact. I attached an image with a red jagged line showing roughly what glass is left (sorry, no camera or phone with picture capability on hand).

Anyway, I am fairly ignorant when it comes to glass-blowing but I am aware that joints are often blown separately and attached.

I am curious as to how difficult it would be for an experienced glass-blower to attach an angled joint (45 degree) to convert the can into an ash-catcher.

I've found such services online but I'd rather go through someone privately to avoid a lot of extra costs. I live in a fairly rural area so finding someone local isn't practical but I do a lot of traveling and would likely come across someone in my travels capable of fixing it (providing such a fix is even possible).

Basically, I'm asking two things:
    1) Is it able to be salvaged/is it worth it? I have zero ash-catchers but have pieces it would fit into perfectly (ones heavy enough not to tip).
    2) How much would you imagine it would cost me? Joint cost + labor, presumably.

I know answers will be speculative but for the price I paid, it seems like converting it to an ash-catcher would be a good idea as most Toro ash catchers and such are very similar but much more costly (which I realize has much to do with glass thickness/quality and craftmanship).

Attached Files:

2. #2 InstaBlaze, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
    Most glassblowers won't touch that because its an import. I'm sure plenty of them are capable of doing it, but you're gonna have a hard time finding someone who will. + its probably not worth it. A repair like that could be anywhere from $25 to $75 depending on who you talk to.Sent from my MB886 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Doesn't look like it can be fixed, once a piece has been blow it gets thrown into a oven to harden it. Even if you find some one who can fix it, it might break again just due to the fact that's its two hardened pieces fused together.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Grasscity Forum mobile app