Broken 400 watt hps sun system

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by growburn, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Hey guys went into my room the other day and my 400 watt hps was not working.. thought it was maybe the bulb... after trying a new bulb it was obvious that this wasnt the cluprit the light still humms when tuned on but no light... i belive it is the same model as in the picture. 400 watt sun system with the attached ballast. ( the attached ballast is a real pain btw) ... anyone know whats wrong... could a novice fix it?

thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. Is your bulb screwed all the way in? This happened to me before and I didn't have the bulb all the way in:smoke:

3. Unfortunatly.. yes it is.

4. Where did you purchase the light ?

5. I got it from our local grow shop but it was a couple years ago

6. #6 redfodora, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
    stick a MH bulb in it. If it lights the ignitor is gone. It's pretty easy to replace. If it doesn't light then the capacitor or transformer is whacked. All that is predicated on the bulb being known good.

I recently had a 400 that buzzed but got no light. Replaced the cap and the ignitor only to find out the long side of the transformer was blown. Got a new ballast kit from 1000bulbs.com and installed in 5 minutes. 400 works fine now. They were so cheap I bought a 2nd one just to have on hand. Also found steel mailboxes at Lowes for 10 bucks and mogul socket pendants for 10 bucks. Makes it easy to make myself a 70 dollar 400W HPS/MH

7. Is sticking a halide bulb in the only way to tell?? i do have a halide bulb that works as well as a new hps bulb ....Steel mailboxes? whats that for? i also dont know what the mogul socket pendant is?

8. unless you know your way around a multi-meter and high voltage, yeah that's the best way to tell.

the mailboxes are for cases. Build-your-own style remote ballast cases.

9. Ahhh.... that sounds nifty!!! you should do a tutorial.... I will let you know the results when i get a chance to plug in the MH bulb.... would you be willing to help walk me through replacing the necessary parts??

10. nope. You'll be able to do this one on your own. It's really pretty simple and i'm not going to be to blame when you nuke your ass on the capacitor. The kits from 1000bulbs.com come pre-wired, so you just pull out your ballast's old guts and twist in the new guts. 3 wires total to connect and 3 to tape up and put aside.

11. pretty sure every reputable vedor/ shop/ website has a 5 year waraanty. get ur shit fixed propper son

12. ok, thanx much!!!

13. I would, but my receipt and my box are long gone