Broke Cfl On Plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kcsov6, Jun 7, 2014.

1. I'm in week 1 of flowering and a CFL broke onto the leaves and soil. Toss?

2. I would probably do that. I believe CFLs contain mercury, you really don't want that on a plant you intend to smoke. If it's on the soil there's a good chance it will kill it eventually anyway...

Maybe worth waiting for someone with experience of this to come along and give their views on it though

3. Yeah im with gold on this one, toking on mercury doesnt sound to lung freindly. Plus there could be small shards of glass that stuck to buds and then you'd be smoking on that aswell.

4. Depends on the stage of growth. I had that happen early in veg and I just cleaned it up the best I could. Depends on the type of dude I guess :smoke:

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I broke a t5 4 foot bulb on my plants before. Nothing happened and research shows from a single bulb like that the mercury will evaporate in minutes. Plus the amount of mercury in a typical light is, if it were made into a single piece, about the size of a period at the end of a sentence.

+1 for keeping it.

6. Broke a 40 watter in my tent once. Cleaned it up and carried on

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Seems that we have both opinions in this thread so far! I'm a new grower myself but I haven't had this sort of problem.

I suggest you either:

A) Throw the plant away

B) Make a circular cutout from cardboard to go very tightly around your stem but cover the soil. Scoop a layer of soil off carefully with a spoon, as if you had a little mold on the top. Replace with new soil and then put the cutout on your pot. I'd then rinse the leaves down with a mister just to get any of that dust from the bulb off. The cutout will stop the rinse from getting into the fresh soil.

I don't know if this is a proper way to go about it, but I'd try my best to make sure none of that frost from the bulb is on your plant. Imagine toking on some of that bud and all the sudden you get that one that had all the bulb crap on it and you smoke that?

Gets you thinking..