Brodman's Organic Ganja Farm

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by BrodMan Organics, May 14, 2017.

1. Hey all :wave:

Pretty excited right now about my indoor garden. I hope this is where the journal takes a turn and actually starts to become informative!

Went out the other night when I took these pictures and got a feeling of comfort. I realized that I've been at this point numerous times, and I know what to do. I guess nothing really can replace experience...

Went out two nights ago and took these pictures. This has happened the last two nights when I've gone out...

IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1915.JPG

They're growing into the light consistently...not good. The structure really isn't all that desirable on 5 out of 7 of the ladies... so new grow plan...

I don't see myself any of these as they would be 5 feet by the time I put them in the flower room. Not too mention the structure is just awful. Really stretched out.

IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1917.JPG

So plan is to keep the one lady with good structure (possibly two) and clone her. This will help in two ways finally give me a room full of one plant for simplicity and ease of care, and it will allow me to start some seeds of something I'll be attempting to keep.

Only real issue this leaves me is what to do with the other 5 plants... I really don't want to throw them away but really don't want to put them in flower. At this point I really don't see much good that will come from them, definitely won't be keeping any of them so I'll probably just toss them and get some seeds going...we'll see

One thing that is a little astonishing to me is the difference between some of the plants...I did a little experiment on these since I wasn't planning on keeping any. I stated 1/2 of the seeds in depleted old soil mix, and I started 1/2 of the seeds in seedling soil I mixed up from wetdogs post about gimiks recipe...

Definitely true about depleted soil mix being the best seed starter. I'm thinking the fact that mycorrhizal fungi was present in the depleted mix is one of the reasons for such a difference in plant growth and size. The depleted mix ladies are twice as big as the seedling soil mix. Pretty shocking!

These pics are a few days old so they're noticeably bigger now. Plan is to start ipm spray on Saturday, then water with aloe Sunday, and transplant before lights out on Monday!

Good to have things growing again, Here we go!

:weed::weed::weed:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey all! :wave:

Been a crazy and life altering couple of months! It started when my work gave a promotion they've been promising me for a year away without so much as a peep...Then they tried to fire me after I got mad and let a few upper management know what I thought of that decision...:lmafoe:

I started to look for work immediately and was lucky enough to find myself a job and career path I'm really excited about! :yay: I got a job as a bud tender. I’m Really excited for this career path and the opportunities it might provide!

The indoor garden also has been a struggle. The expansion has not gone as well as I anticipated. Turns out the 10" fan was WAY too big and it just took way too much air. It was causing serious issues.

I hooked the 8" fan back up and also hooked up and AC unit that is in the room. First time I've ever had a room big enough to have a piece of equipment in there with the ladies!

The last couple days the lights on temp has been hovering in the 78 range and at nights has been 63-68 range. I'm learning I might need to also put a small heater in the room but I can worry about that in the fall when it starts to get cold again.

Things are looking good now! I also hooked up two hoods. It goes against my vertical approach, but space wise things were too cramped and I need the extra canopy space...I am really excited about the way the room has turned out.

55505E27-489C-4B30-A3A3-95E417A8407E.jpeg

I have 5 G-13 haze that have been flowering for the last two weeks.

7AE51E3B-CC9E-4E6D-9229-689D82191401.jpeg DDC4D42D-2291-4EAA-954A-AC225B282373.jpeg 737BF87B-2FE1-47A2-BEAD-C07005ED33D7.jpeg

They are looking pretty good and I ended up keeping the best looking lady and took a few cuttings of her in case she's a keeper.

B35367C0-9324-4F2E-8F8E-88C03CE4D260.jpeg 82808B94-6AFC-4FD3-9214-A0FCB7FA4AE0.jpeg

I also have 4 PAK seedlings I started on 2-14-18. I tranplanted them into 1 gallons 3 days ago and they seem to be making the adjustment to there new homes!

8F2E2D79-154A-4AB5-AE78-C63E0196617C.jpeg

Really looking forward to this spring and summer! Still hoping to put a plant outside but I'm not sure. I lost a lot of privacy this year when the neighbor took his trees down!

Here’s to the process :weed::weed::weed:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey all, :wave:

Hope everyone is doing good! The garden is looking pretty good. I'm quickly learning how important genetics are, and am now at a point where I have everything dialed in. I just need to find my winning ladies!

I did have to chop 2 of the ladies in flower as they just weren't doing good and I needed the extra plants in veg. It's getting full in there!

E95105D8-3D2F-4751-A26C-421A9BB0AA3B.jpeg

Flower is looking good. Especially considering these plants have 7, and 8 weeks left. :blink: Like I said earlier they are an 11 week strain. I really don't think they'll go that long. But they should be nice by finish!

Two of my ladies are 4 weeks in flower,

7E28D01F-0B75-40B1-B756-34919CC5B97B.jpeg E02C16A6-1102-4073-9C8A-222377A2884C.jpeg

and the other that I cloned I put her in a week behind that. So she's at 3 weeks of flower.

4B5F3F91-B0E1-404A-89F5-B09BAE051716.jpeg

After getting the AC unit and the smaller fan hooked up, the enviornment has been very steady. I didn't realize how important environmental control is! I believe I was causing too much stress on the ladies from the start of flower. These ladies really have taken to the new room, I feel pretty confident I got it dialed in.

Only thing left to do now is order some beneficials for the rest of the flower journey.

Have a great weekend everyone! Here's to the process!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. hey brodman, how's the new room working out?
    did you get a nice harvest off those g13 hazes?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hey zephyr! Thank you for stopping by! How are you?!

The new room really is working out nice! I changed my light set up a little bit and have two hoods in now. It goes a little against my normal approach but it really has opened up my canopy space and how many plants I can fit in there.

I definitely feel like I'm at a point where I know what's going on in my space and can make decisions and problem solve.

I definitely had a steep learning learning curve again but it's really dialed in now! It did cause me the round with the g-13 haze. It got hot for two days and two plants hermies and sprayed pollen.

Two plants looked awful from the jump and I chopped them at week 6 of 10 and made hash. The 3 that did finish look really nice but did get hit with some pollen and have a few seeds in them...

I learned a super valuable lesson that good genetics are priceless...I started with 10 plants and only had 3 that went to full maturity. I got 370+ grams from the 3 plants, but again that's pretty awful considering that's technically for 10 plants

I've been messing with seeds for the last two years trying to find a "winner". I still haven't found one and my yields are just laughable. So the new hunt is to find some good CLEAN clones!

I actually just put more round in a few weeks ago...After that round is done I'm planning on taking the summer off from growing. Going to throw a few auto seeds outside and see what happens. Plus, the wife needed me to take a break so we can get some camping in this summer!

I'll get some pictures up in the next couple of days. Work has kept me crazy busy! Been trying to study so much about strains and which is good for which ailments!

Hope you're doing good sir! :weed::weed::weed:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey all :wave:

Things are looking good! I have two strains in the room at the moment. Purple Afghan Kush, and CBD yummy. Here’s the whole room now...much more space!

9DDDF460-75FF-478B-8501-6D166392B691.jpeg

The PAK is much older and vegged for about a month before I put them in here. They've been in flower for a week now...(there’s one CBD yummy at the bottom off this photo also)

AF27E7F9-298A-40F0-BADF-AB1C1AEBC15D.jpeg

The CBD yummy didn't get a chance to veg because I decided to take a break for the summer. Not really a big deal, but they are noticeably smaller than the PAK's. They definetely look happier though!

06E22553-F305-4264-BFF2-73506D48DC08.jpeg

Looking forward to this round. Things are dialed in to this point!
    Hope everyone is enjoying spring!

• Like Like x 2
  7. #87 thezephyr, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    I've been doing pretty well recently, it was also a learning curve for me with the new cmh lighting in flower. I needed to adjust my indoor veg period going forward, because the last set of plants was totally overgrowing the tent and got a lot of light burn on the tops. I'm finishing up my bodhi testing, running everything from clones this time.

In terms of stable genetics, I think regular un-femenized seeds are a really good option. I haven't been impressed by the european/amsterdam genetics or seed companies. I have gotten herms from femenized seeds, but I've very had good results with regular seeds.
    this is where I got a lot of my seeds from:
    Home page
    So far I've really liked everything I've grown from bodhi. they have a lot of variety from pure sativas, to elite cut polyhybrids, to pure indicas, to landraces. Basically, I think you'd have way better luck with regular seeds and american breeders.

I'm can't remember what you're looking for medicinally, but a lot of people have grown out and documented this blue dream hybrid and it seems high yielding and reliable:
    Blue Sunshine

and if you were looking for something similar to your g13 haze:
    Herer Hashplant (Jack Herer x 88g13/hp)
    Super Silver Hashplant SSH X 88G13/HP

They've added a lot more breeders since I last checked the site, I'm sure some of them are worth looking into.

I'd also recommend avoiding unstable strains like girl scout cookies and gorilla glue, which both have herms in their lineage.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Thank you for the spot on guidance as always zephyr!

I'm looking for all three actually...a clear headed uplifting sativa like the super silver haze, a hybrid like white widow, and a real knock you out indica.

I'll definetely be looking into that seed bank! Thank you, not being in the know I'm pretty much left to believe the breeders which is proving to be marginal at best...:bang: lol! I just wanna find my meds!

I really don't want to get cuts from others as I'm worried enough about pests and diseases...so I think the regular seeds are definetely the place to go. Thank you!

I do have an afghani #1 from sensi that's regular and not feminized. I'll definitely start with those first round!

• Like Like x 1
  9. awesome, the afghani #1 should be perfect for a knock out indica. I have some sensi maple leaf hash plant seeds that I'm really looking forward to trying out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey all, :wave:

Finished up my last round and am now on a much needed indoor break for the summer. I tend to get overwhelmed this time of year and my outdoor garden usually suffers so I decided to take a break and focus on the mini-farm this summer.

I wanted to put together a post about all of the things I’ve learned to this point that should help out growers just starting on this organic journey...once again these are things I’VE noticed and shouldn’t be followed as guidelines....more like I’ve made a lot of these mistakes multiple times and finally learned my lesson.

1.) Organic soil really does hold more water than you’d think/ you’re used to, which is why I believe there’s a tendency to overwater with organic mixes. (It’s the reason the aeration in my mix is in the 40% range)
    2.) Things can go bad very quickly. Get lazy for a couple days in a row and things can turn from great to awful really fast. Always stay on top of your garden
    3.) Don’t wait, if you see an issue in your garden, Handle it immediately. (Not listening to this and #2 caused me 2 rounds because of not taking plants out that were showing what I thought were hermies or just unhappy. It turned an really good looking room into seedy bomb.
    4.) If top watering, the easiest way to check if need water is the lift method. (Lifting the pot to see how heavy/light it is)
    5.) There is NOTHING that can substitute for home made castings. Start a worm bin immediately and then start another one, so you have a back up.
    6.) Adding bone meal really was the biggest difference maker in my ladies looking better and being happy
    7.) Genetics are so important it’s unreal. I’ve spent two years messing with fem seeds. In my experience, they are more hastle then they are worth. They are very prone to hermies. Get seeds from a reputable breeder, and as I said in my experience I’d go with regular and not feminized seeds.
    8.) Don’t get discouraged. There will definitely be problems, and things will go wrong. Learn to think ahead, look around your room and see what problems could potentially pop up. Being pro-active is a very good thing.
    9.). Going along with #8...there’s nothings like trial and error to see what works for you in your space. A lot of factors go into this and sometimes there nothings just like getting in there and getting your hands dirty. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
    10.) IPM is crucial. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! This is the most important thing we as growers can do and have in place for your gardens to make sure things stay pest free.

That being said, If you’re following the think ahead advice you would know what you were going to do when pests get in, because they will. Having that sort of plan and preparation in place is worth it’s weight in gold. That really is a full IPM to me.

That’s enough rambling for now. There’s a few more things but I’ll save it when I post a pic of my outdoor babies. Planted a few auto seeds outside to see if I can get anything to come up!

Here’s to the process!! :weed::weed::weed:

• Like Like x 2
  11. hey man. thought i'd jump over here to gab about your greenhouse. have you got a picture of the structure? either actual pic or an ad pic. measurements would be nice also.

:bongin::bongin::bongin:... if you want to chat about it that is.... :smoke:

great looking job on your previous harvests. have you ever thought about insulating those saucers from the concrete? cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  12. I’m in the process of building it at the moment. The hoop house is going to be 12 x 25 and if I figured things out right the roof will be 8-10 feet high (8 feet sides, 10 feet center) give or take a foot or two on that calculation though...:smoking: I was maybe thinking some sort of rail system along the roof. Or that I put up after it’s built. I would really like it to be automated and can definitely get an extension cord out that way too, or I can buy a little solar panel and stick it out there!

I’ll take a picture and put get things updated when I get my next round of ladies in. I have the foam insulation on the floor so there’s really no exposed concrete, at least where the plants are!

Thank you as always @Possuum much appreciated sir!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. are you purchasing a kit or are you building this from scratch? i'm sure you've seen the automated blackout kits for other greenhouses - they're $$$$!

if you're building from scratch i can see a few ideas. if you're buying a kit it's just a matter of shopping for you need.

i used to receive this catalog. they'll send you one post haste if you contact them. it's great for ideas, concepts, and price baselines. they've got a bunch of stuff for greenhouse operations.

Greenhouse Kits, Commercial & Hobby Greenhouses and Hydroponic Systems from Growers Supply

but again if you're building from scratch and have a realistic budget for motors, controls, and hardware, i think one could be engineered and/or pieced together to fit your size needs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thank you @Possuum

I wish I could afford a kit! Definitely not in my price range! I have a few ideas I’m going to see if will pan out. I definitely don’t think I’ll be able to do the automated thing.

One thing I forgot to mention is I’m only really needing to light dep a 10-15 foot section of the hoop house. It’s my where I grow my tomatoes and melons but just wanted to throw a few plants out there that actually worked. After last years debacle...

Only thing I can come up with is a garage door opener type system? It would be pretty loud so I don’t know if I’ll do that. I just might have to pull tarps inside if I can’t come up with anything I guess. Going to have the structure finished this month so I should have a better idea of what I’m working with!

:thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hello Everyone!! :wave:

Finally time to get back to it! The break was very nice, but if working in the cannabis industry has taught me anything...it’s to grow your own!

I’m still making my own EWC from my outdoor worm bin, and have added composted chicken manure to my. Mixes... A few things different about this time around...

I’ve gone notill. The soil is the same soil I’ve been recycling for the last 2 years. I have re-amended all pots and have mulched with rice hulls. I am adding MBP every week, watered in with coconut water.

I have also added mountain Organics botanical tinctures to my spraying regimen. I spray every three days and have a neem/karanja spray sandwiched in between. (Stopped after week 2 of flower)

I just transplanted all my plants and here’s what the new set up looks like. The couple extra spots will be for the clones that don’t get put outside...

2C582148-4493-4BD9-8EE0-EE470E0D7CA6.jpeg

If you followed along last time you know genetics were a bit of an issue for me. I am still on the search and this round I will be hunting! This round I have TOBC2 from Mountian Organics Botanical seeds, Super Silver Haze from green house seeds, and afghani #1 from sensi seeds. I also have Eros from MOB seeds, that I will be starting the pheno hunt for this month.

Five, 5 weeks from seed, of TOBC2

67E46D52-D6D5-4050-A65C-4F2287665A17.jpeg

4, 5 weeks from seed, SSH

E6E0705F-6A75-4A3F-B36C-0295F747A3BC.jpeg

And Afghani #1 clones, (been in the dome 6 days)

6C5AC367-6E0E-4F48-AEEC-AEA44A641B86.jpeg 47D806AF-7E2F-4CC3-BDF0-F706F8AA6692.jpeg

I’m planning on setting up blumats as soon as I get all parts needed. I feel like that will be the last step of the keep the plants as happy and as stress free as possible!

Here’s to the process!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Hey everyone! :wave:

Forgot to mention a few things in my last post... I added bio char to all my opts at 6% per pot. All pots are 15 gallon except the two in the middle which are 20 gallon.

Been a busy few days in the garden! I top dressed MBP on Wednesday, sprayed citrus herb tonic Thursday, sprayed neem Sunday, and sprayed sprout tonic at lights out today. The ladies look happy!

The search for some stable ladies so I can finally have a room full of consistency is finally here!

34078EB6-F6B2-4E42-A2FF-3AD7BA74D6CB.jpeg

All SSH ladies, the lady in the middle is definitely the happiest and has really shot up the last few days.

1767451B-3E6C-4C19-9FBE-DDCE4B4BAB16.jpeg

All TOBC2 by MOB seeds. They really are staying short and bushy. I originally popped 8 seeds, and had 7 germinate. 2 had male preflowers before transplant, so they got the ax. Really hoping to find a winner in these 5!! Will have to keep my eyes out on a couple of these. Haven’t really seen many pre-flowers to this point.

8A919EF0-A651-4D0A-9954-22D0F759459D.jpeg

Afghani #1 from Sensi Seeds, clones. Keeping three of these for indoor and the rest will be put outside!

Mixed up some soil today for the upcoming round of clones and extra soil needs for veggie garden transplants.
    Here’s to the process!

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thank you sir!

I Finally made a commitment to become a ganja pharma! I let all my other projects and endeavors get in the way and overwhelm me, so I had a bunch of 1/2 finished projects...

Now I’m only focused on getting the indoor 100% dialed in and then I’ll worry about outdoor and the veggies!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hey everyone, :wave:

I always have good intentions when I start to post, but I always forget to bring my camera. :smoking:

I’ve had an issue, blowing a breaker that my AC unit is on. The electrician came over today and I hopefully have the issue figured out. So everything should hopefully be good.

I moved over the lights in my room. It will allow me to put a few extra plants in when things are all dialed in. My ultimate goal after I get my genetics dialed in and my winners found is to move into 2 100 gallon pots. Here’s the room now 79893A85-6A11-415D-B15F-2D4021A9059A.jpeg

Here’s the TOBC2 ladies, I actually had to chop the larger one in the middle. I’ve suspected it was a male for quite a long while, All of these are so short and stocky it’s unreal. The structure on them is a little unreal. I’m really excited to watch them finish! EAA33F11-6773-4531-BF56-9ED8DEFA706E.jpeg

Here’s the SSH ladies, I chopped the not great looking one on the bottom right. Something was wrong with it from the beginning and I don’t have the energy to mess around with it, so it’s gone. There’s two SSH that look good to this point. The one in the middle and the one on the lower left of this picture. 463E4CAB-EBB5-4909-969C-38E3E2DDCEFA.jpeg

Here’s to the process!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Hey everyone, :wave:

Just a quick update. I’m attempting something new this round. I’m going to do a scrog this round. I feel like it will be a solution to my answer of so much popcorn, and such an uneven canopy when running different strains.

It felt so unnatural as I was doing it. But we’ll see what happens as the stretch starts!

Here’s things now.... 385F41D1-F6E4-406B-8165-60DB626DE1B1.jpeg

TOBC2... C17649BC-7CDD-4E99-BA1B-009EFC514C29.jpeg

SSH... 183B620D-D881-4F5A-BE44-E79AE9BB13B2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1