Brodman's Organic Ganja Farm

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by BrodMan Organics, May 14, 2017.

1. :confused_2: Who knows maybe it is my lighting. Something is definitely NOT working...Pretty frustrating considering cloning is supposed to be one of the easier things...

Just went out and 4 0f my 10 were wilted and dead. Only thing I can come up with is enviormental issues.

Think I'm just going to be popping seeds this summer! I have an extended vacation planned coming up and I will be able to look into my cloning issues and hopefully figure out what's really going on. I suppose one of the remaining 6 might catch but I'm not optimistic...

Thank you major!

2. It takes patience. People don't like doing it but your main colas are ideal. Some strains root faster with a heat mat others without. Get a mommy and practice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Definitely agree @MajorToker! I think my main issue is by the time one of the seeds is two months old and able to clone it's too big for the veg room and I have to move her. It's what happened this round at least.

I definitely need the practice, I feel like my technique is sound, but I'm questioning everything at this point!

3. You're on the way. Use the tutorial @waktoo posted. I do It with a couple of adaptations.

4. I'm in serious shock. Trying to stay positive right now, but I'm just depressed. Sometimes I just don't understand how I get to this points in my growing. I've stopped and completely started over 3 times now and it looks like 4 is right around the corner. I don't feel like I've cut corners, just things seem to always happen.

I've hit a serious roadblock and I don't think anything is going to survive...if it does this round I don't see how there won't be hermies.

Having a heat wave and it's 88 in the room when the lights are out. It's about 83 with the lights on when it cools down. But I'm not optimistic anymore. I really don't know why I keep ending up here and having something go wrong and I can't fix it.

Since the plants were stressed I was worried and started to look. Almost postive I found 2 mite eggs on one of the newer ladies. I sprayed that one lady in hopes but really can't spray at all since the other ladies are 5 weeks now.

I think I've learned a few value lessons (no to putting plants in at different times, one day can ruin everything, and be prepared), but I'm so dejected right now I can't see straight.

I hope my next post is happier and I say everything is ok...but in reality I think this round is over.

5. #46 MajorToker, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Give it a fulvic/liquid kelp feed. You need minerals to allow your soil microbes to naturally fix nitrogen and phosphorus. What was your phos source again? If compost tea is a temporary fix I think youre lacking phos. That would be the only reason it keeps happening in flower. You need rock phosphate. It has lasting power.

Phosphorus is responsible for processing nutrients. Next grow you should build your base mix and have it tested. It will tell you desired values vs yours. You can amend from there.

When you mix with fulvic it is forcing uptake by riding in on the fulvic acid which penetrates through cell wall membrane. Our container plants have no humic acid to speak of so our system needs a boost. Chelates those minerals.

Here's the order of highest nutrient uptake throughout a plants life...
    Calcium
    Phosphorus
    Nitrogen

People get it backwards.

6. Just in case anyone can't tell..I don't do well with failure...:bang:, and one of the issues I use cannabis for is anxiety. :lmafoe:

I'm attempting something that will hoepfully fix my heat issues, It should work in the short term until I can cut a few holes for an ac unit...

I'm not really sure what to think of the ladies. THey looked ok last night, definite heat stress signs though. It was 86 with the lights out and 83 with the lights on. I'm sure the ladies are thinking "wtf is going on?!"

I'm not sure about the mite egg, didn't see any signs when I was in there, not sure what else it could have been...I did find my bottle of captain jacks I got a while back, and am contemplating spraying Monday or Tuesday with it, just as an extra ipm.

@MajorToker I have a couple leaves I'll take pics of. I actually think it's a water issue as I just tested my ph and got 7.04 and 7.26 as my readings...I have been topdressing bone meal to help with the issue if it is that...

7. Oh above 7 phos cannot be taken up. Do the fulvic with sea bird guano or rock phosphate. No more calcium.

8. :bang: I was told once gardening was supposed to be relaxing and give you inner peace... o_O:biggrin:

I definitely get too caught up with results and forget to trust the process and learn. I think it's best for me to start to let go of how I think it should turn out and realize I still have a lot of learning to do...

After having to work all weekend and not being able to really search or find any remedies or fixes, I have the next two days off and am planning on getting some serious garden work done.

First things I'm doing is cutting a vent in to the wall and installing an AC unit. With the few precautions I made, I thought, I would be able to avoid the heat issues in the room...I was very wrong. I'm sure I'll see tonight or tomorrow if any of the plants will need to be taken down. Possible one of the large ladies has hermies...

Planning on adding apple cider vinegar to my water to lower ph. Going to also topdress a small amount of bone meal. Later in the week after the dust has cleared, I'll take a closer look and potentially do some sort of phosphorus application.

:bongin::bongin::bongin: Time to get back on track and STAY there this time.
    :weed::weed::weed:

Hopefully I didin't lose anyone with the negativeness...:blush: This growing your own meds stuff is too stressful when you don't have the answers!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well...it looks like the ssh dream is officially over.

My last round of clones failed to root and I'm just clueless as to why this time. I felt like I did everything correct. Misted, didn't over water, had the temps right, light was good. Really no idea... I don't remember it being this hard to clone ssh in the past but maybe I blocked that out of my memory.

To make myself feel better (but really to make sure I had meds) I planted what I had left except the g-13 haze seeds. Going to send these straight to flower (except the White Widow) after about a month to replace the crop of ssh clones that I should have vegging right now...

IMG_1290.JPG

Flower is looking pretty good. The ladies in the 15 gallon pots are still really loving life. It looks like the ladies have pulled through from the heat wave. I'm installing AC this week so hopefully the heat issue should be gone...I should even be able to turn the lights up.

IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1280.JPG IMG_1277.JPG

In the short term planning on doing some research on the basic 16, :bang: cloning :lmafoe:, and water. I will say my attention span isn't impressive when it comes to learning, I'm definitely not a book learner, so that's why I'm more of a trial by fire type, which is proving to be costly at this stage.

I think my main issue in the quest to do this is time. With as many things that are on my to do list on a normal day, it's hard to be abe to find time to study and find answers let alone go and water...Maybe one day. Until then, I guess, I better get used to failing and trying to learn why it happened...hopefully it will be entertaining to watch and easy to learn from!

• Like Like x 1
  10. :rave-girl:Some good news!

All of the seeds have popped. It took about 3 days before they all emerged and started to reach for the light...I soaked them in distilled water for about 12 hours before I planted. Seems like these popped a little more quickly and vigorously than the first batch.

IMG_1311.JPG

Flower is still looking pretty good. The 15 gallon ladies are really liking life still. And #7 that I put in 8 days ago has started to sprout hairs and show signs of flower.

I'm planning on chopping one around Tuesday. She hasn't really been doing very good and I could use the space in flower. So I'm going to pull her early and make some more butter. I'm out already!!

Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  11. :rave-girl:Well...the SSH dream is officially still alive! I kept one clone in the tray and continued to water it just to see if I wasn't being patient enough...and there's roots!!

IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1340.JPG

I transplanted the 3 Purple Afghan Kush ladies. I tried them in a previous round and never got her dialed in. I liked the end product and wanted to give it another try...It alway seemed like they looked and acted overwatered...no matter how or little amount I used. Anyone have any tips on this strain?

IMG_1343.JPG

I had to take down 2 of the ladies because of hermies. One of the ladies in the 15 gallon pots, which really bummed me out since she looked SO good. The other I took down was one of the 5 gallon ladies that never looked happy. Definitely opened things up in flower though! The one lady still in the mix is #7 in a 10 gallon pot.

IMG_1331.JPG IMG_1324.JPG IMG_1327.JPG IMG_1330.JPG

I know the cause of the hermies and I really don't know how to proceed. I've got heat issues... I've hooked up an AC unit, but I'm still not dialed in. It was 75.2 - 79.4 at lights out today. WAY too hot...kinda feel like I'm just :bang: with it at this point. The first heat wave I lost the 2 plants to hermies...Going to have to get this dialed in pronto!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well it would appear that I don't have what I need to be successful at this point to grow plants that look like what I want them to. I've learned it only makes more work when you cut corners...

I don't have the knowledge I need when it comes to soil structure and soil biology. I have a little bit of a vacation coming up and I should be able to devote some serious time to studying.

I transplanted the rest of the seedlings last night. I'm planning on keeping either The Purple Afghan Kush (PAK) or the White Widow (WW) and then flowering out the rest. I'm not sure though as I kind of want to keep all of them :lmafoe:.

IMG_1350.JPG

The amnesia lemon I'm hoping turns out to be a winner, and I've seen critical kush grown a few times and generally really like the end product so maybe I'll just attempt to clone them all and see what happens. This one will really depend on space though...Things are going to get cramped in the veg room in a month or so.

I almost forgot! The SSH clone looks like it's taking off. New shoots on the top. The plant she came from has been in flower for 2 weeks and is just huge. It's actually biggest at this stage then the 15 gallon was. Hoping I get really lucky and this is a winner!

IMG_1354.JPG

Hope everyone is enjoying there summer!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm really :lmafoe: at myself right now. I decided to update on Monday...7/10. That picture definitely wasn't of the transplanted ladies! I made some dabs for the day and wow, they turned out better than I anticiapated. Anyways here's the real update...

The PAK's have made a nice switch and are liking things in the 1 gallon pots. The other transplants have made the switch nicely. I still want to keep them all!

IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1383.JPG

Things in the flower room are definitely not as cramped as they were. I took down one SSH, it was at 8 weeks and really didn't seem to have much left in her. So I have 3 left in flower and one is pretty close to getting taken down. I'm throwing around the idea of just taking the main cola and seeing what she does for a few days after that.

The lady in the 15 gallon still seems to be liking things. She's yellowing a touch but nothing like the other plants to this point. She's 7 weeks (of 10) on Saturday...

IMG_1375.JPG

Her clone seems to be happy so...here's the last SSH standing #7...I really hope she stays stable. The only down side about her is she takes a little longer to veg, but tha'ts alright if I can have a room full of her! She has filled in really nicely!

IMG_1370.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Had a potential issue I decided to attempt not make an issue... I'm not exactly sure but I think I have an idea what is going on...If I woud've taken better notes...I'm not sure which soil I transplanted each of these plants into...

The lady in the 15 gallon has been happy and enjoyed life all the way to this point...She hasn't had any of the growth I've seen in the other ladies. She's on day 51 of 70, (7 weeks out of 10) Really excited to watch her finish!

IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1435.JPG

The 10 gallon pot I put into flower 3 weeks ago and already has been showing small signs of the same issues. What looks like one of a handful of defiecincies..The most likely either, calcium, or phosphorus. I knew of the issue so I've been topdressing bone meal.

It doesn't look to be helping all that much so I decided to give her a tiny amount of kelp meal, followed by a vmc slurry, and topped off with some comfrey leaves. This really helped my first round bounce back and make it to the finish line. We'll see in a few days what things look like!

IMG_1429.JPG

I'm thinking it's one of two issues...I'm having an issue watering. or mainly having a hard time maintaining a consistent moist environment which is preventing the plant from getting everything it needs, and in turn causing the leaf damage I see, or...

I have overlooked something and have an issue with my mix. I will be able to put a good amount of study time and get to the bottom of things.

The veg room definitely has some life! Things have gotten over transplant nicely. I think the plan so far is to keep the Purple Afghan Kush.

IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1464.JPG

I'll move the Special Kush, Amnesia Lemon, and White Widow into flower in a months or so as soon as they're big enough. I'm going to need meds since I missed the SSH clone round...I really want to attempt to keep the Critical Kush too, but am unsure if I will be able to because of of what will happen space wise, I should be abe to keep at least one of them I think!

I chopped one lady yesterday and I wish I wouldn't have. I don't think it was ready yet. She had 8 days to go still technically but I couldn't let her go. I have a paranoia when things are getting close with SSH and bud rot. I have always seen her taken early because of this. For that reason when things get close I usually think "ok better to be safe than sorry"...just don't have the confidence yet...

bright side though, the first plant I took 8 days ago is almost dry and the plant I took yesterday should be done drying in 7-10 days. Then I'll be :weed::weed::weed:

Hope everyone is enjyonying their summers!

• Like Like x 1
  15. #56 thezephyr, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    great update, I also like to play it safe and harvest early when working with a plant that's susceptible to bud rot. It's good to be cautious with plants that produce very thick, dense, stacked colas, especially if they're slow finishers. in my outdoor grows I need to watch for any warning signs of bud rot on plants like that.

I often harvest the dense top colas first, and leave the lower buds and inner buds to flower longer. the tops are often ripe before the rest of the plant. If the tops finish first, or if I need to harvest them early, a staggered harvest boosts my overall yield.
    have a good one!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thank you Zephyr!

I really wanted to try the harvest the tops and then let her go. I'm planing on taking the top of the 15 gallon this weekend I'm thinking...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Decided to be an about me update since I forgot a few main things in my OP and OP#2...

My name...lol, no my name isn't Brody...my wife's dog was unfortunately attacked and died right as I we were married and I was starting my Organic journey. His name was brody and I always called him brodman, my wife liked the idea of his legacy live on, he's the little guy in my photo.

My organic journey started when my mother got sick (through a a miracle she's still with us) and told me I needed to do things differently for my family. I promised I would and the grow my own food, and my organic journey began.

I started to look up organic mini farming and started to set up my property as a mini farm. (I have a little less than 3/4 of an acre). I was taking a break from growing Cannabis at the time and my mind kind of clicked. I then rediscovered grasscity and have been on the organic journey ever since.

This is my third summer/year growing anything I can eat. It's been a very big learning curve but I truly love it. If everything works out like I have in my head I'll do Farmers markets consistently in 3-5 years. It's all a process and I'm just enjoying having my own food at this point though!

IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1492.JPG IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1389.JPG

I was lucky enough to meet a veggie farmer from my area and I have followed his planting schedules and advice and things really have started to come together. His operation is really impressive and all he does is cater to farmers markets in his area...so more inspiration and I know it can be done!

Got #7 caged up. She's showing some of that growth but not as much. It is very possible just because she's just so huge. There are so many branches that have branches that have branches...

IMG_1468.JPG

I'm really hoping she stays stable, but I am worried as I think I might see the start of some male flowers. I'm not 100%, as I haven't seen multiple of the same thing. I'm going to take a really good look tonight and see for sure.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

• Like Like x 1
  18. :rave-girl::rave-girl::rave-girl:

I've been waiting for this day for a while now! I have the next 7 weeks off of work. Granted some of that time is going to be spent layed up after knee surgery...but this will be where a ton of my study time and new understanding happen.

The babies are really starting to grow and look like veg plants. I'm hoping things grow quickly as I need to get some plants into the flower room. I'm thinking I'll move a few over the first few weeks of August.

The 3 white widow

IMG_1559.JPG

The Specia kush, 2 Critical Kush, and Amnesia Lemon

IMG_1560.JPG
    And the 3 Purple Afghan Kush, and SSH clone

IMG_1561.JPG

I did something I've really wanted to try on Saturday. I was watching a wonderland nursery video with Kevin Jodrey, Just wow to the amount of knowledge that man has, where they harvested tops and then waited roughly two weeks and then harvested the next set of tops...

Here's the before pics, and the pics of the tops...

IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1531.JPG IMG_1534.JPG

This was last night. I will say it really looked like the resin production ramped up. They seemed much frostier!

IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1555.JPG

My anxiety is telling me I should chop her tonight and not wait 5 more days like I anticiapated. Will see how things look when I go out tonight!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hey everyone! Lots to talk about so let's get to it!

I've started to read this book, and my mind has been blown... and I mean

IMG_1584.JPG

I went out to water last night and I found myself realizing that I wasn't really watering the plant. I was supplying life to a ton at cells, bacteria, fungi, and a ton more that I can't even pronounce yet. I'm really amped up about learning and being able to understand what's really going on in the soil, and in turn problem solve for myself!

The last 8 months of growing has been a huge in understanding and seeing how things work. I think I finally have a plan that will work for my enviornment and area...

I'm starting over, and I have a new grow plan...The wife hasn't been all that excited about all the time I've been spending in the grow room and in the outdoor garden this summer...

Add on the fact that things have really just been too hot in my room and area, even with the addition of an AC unit, and I think I've realized that while perfect for winter months, summer growing might not be doable for my room and space...

My room is in the sun literally from sun up to sun down...no windows or cracks for ventilation and it just gets hot, and quick. It's usually 70 outside of my room by 9am on the hot days. This was completely my fault as I didn't think of this when I built my room. It really was the only option as far as space.....so here's the new plan...

I'm moving in a bigger AC unit in hopes to save the summer, and this round of 11. I'm going transplant in the next few days. Then I'm going to let them grow and veg for roughtly one more week. I will then move ALL 11 from veg into flower...I'm not planning on keeping anything. The reason for this is I'm going to take October off. The wife needs me to take a break and that's the month that's 8 weeks away...

My plan is to grow indoors from Novermber-Mayish. I'll then switch to outdoors during the summer months! My wife realized that saving the money on electricity alone during the summer isn't something to pass up!

:weed:Finally get to see a plant grow outdoors! :weed: I have neighbors though so it will be challenging, but I'm so excited! Going to get going on my spots and holes. I think I'll do 2-6 outside depending on where I can fit them from gazing eyes.

I have two strains, SSH and CBD yummy, that I'm planning on ordering and a third, I'm thinking maybe Early girl...I need an indica strain that will grow outdoors in the rainy PNW as well as produce indoors...suggestions welcome!

I realized it's a little too hard to try and be a good husband/father, do the mini farm thing, have an indoor garden, and have a full time job...So cutting out indoor during the summer months really will free up a lot of extra time and energy that I need during the summer.

Here's to the process! :bongin::bongin::bongin:

• Like Like x 1