Broad, lower leaves dying

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by beatificfrost, Dec 5, 2013.

1. #1 beatificfrost, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
    The lower, broad leaves of the plant recently developed brown spots, turned yellow, and died.  The rest of the plant seems to be doing okay, though I'm no expert.  I am not sure what the problem is, but I thought those who are more experienced than me could offer advice based on the details and pictures included below.  While I have read a good amount, this is the first rodeo, so any help would be much appreciated. 

Details: 
    Strain:  Diamond Line Obsession - Feminized (a Gilgit Valley [Pakistan] and a stabilized male hybrid of White Rhino, Black Domina and Jack Herer)
    Light:  400w metal halide
    Soilless Mix:  1-1-1 equal blend of peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite with no fertilizer added.
    Temp:  80-82 F
    Humidity:  25-30%
    Fertilizer:  20-20-20 added to every third or fourth watering
    Ph: 7.3, if my electronic meter is working correctly 
    Other Notes:  Transplanted about 10 days ago

Attached Files:

2. Also, am I supposed to do anything with the two dying leaves?  Or do I just let it run its course?  Thanks again for the help!

3. What dose of nutes? Like how much per gallon or however you water? Could be from over fertilization esp at that age. Hopefully more soilless experts stop in.

4. pH is way to high at 7.5 need to get it low to mid 6 range. Peat is pretty acidic as it is...is that the ph of water and nutrients going in or runoff?

I'm using all purpose 20-20-20, and I mix 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. It's used about once every third watering.  But I did start this at a young age since the soilless mix has no added nutes.  Maybe I should cut down on this for a while.  Thanks for the input! 

It does seem high.  It comes from a cheap electronic meter with probes stuck in the soilless mix.  It tells me the water going in is about 7.2, so maybe that's the problem.  I'll look for a better way to test the pH and a way to lower it if necessary.  Thanks! 

7. #8 jerry111165, Dec 5, 2013
    OP, your plants are fine and healthy. Just because those first fan leaves are dying off means nothing. At all. Whatsoever. This is just what happens - don't try and fix a nonexistent issue or you'll probably cause an actual problem.

While cannabis does prefer a slightly acidic pH you are by no means out of the ballpark at 7.2 - you're pretty damn close to being right around neutral; since the pH scale runs from 0 (acidic) to 14 (base/alkaline), 7.2 certainly isn't anything to worry about.

The method you are using appears to be working just fine. It's easy to overthink gardening and often it's best to simply LITFA.

Always judge your plants health by its newer growth - never by the low, oldest bottom leaves of the plant. It is very, very common to see what you're seeing - leave it alone.

"not sure what the problem is" - there is no problem.

Nice looking, healthy deep green plants. Good job.

J

8. #9 pointswest, Dec 5, 2013

You are using a frequency of fertilizing designed for the watered down designer fertilizers on the market.  The fertilizer you are using is over seven times stronger than FF or AN products.  You will burn your plants if you don't back off the fertilizer applications at this young age.

PW

9. [quote name="beatificfrost" post="19105625" timestamp="1386248522"]It does seem high. It comes from a cheap electronic meter with probes stuck in the soilless mix. It tells me the water going in is about 7.2, so maybe that's the problem. I'll look for a better way to test the pH and a way to lower it if necessary. Thanks! [/quote]Try testing the run off water and see what it is going out. So if you are watering with 7.2 and your runoff is 6.2 you should be fine. If your runoff is above 7 or well below 6 try tweaking what goes in a bit.