Bristol, Uk - A Breakfast Dead-Zone, Avoid.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by MelT, May 2, 2014.

1. #1 MelT, May 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
      A heartfelt message to all caterers and cafe owners in Bristol, my home of nearly 20 years: please, get a grip. All I want is a decent wholesome breakfast, my favourite meal of the day. Breakfast in Belgium may consist of a hard bun and a little preserve, but this is not Belgium. I don't want panninis, wraps, bagels, salmon  or a portobello mushroom on a bed of wilted anything, I'll save salads for lunch. Yes, I know that for economic reasons you use foreign students (usually aged about 10) to cook for you, as few could screw up a pre-preprepared package they only need stick in a toaster, but it isn't food, it's an appeal to pretention.

Two days ago I ordered, as a test, the simplest of meals from such a place. The egg was cooked on a griddle that was dirty and too hot, and as always with griddled eggs, was a micron thick and served crunchy on one side with a sprinkling of black pepper that I didn't ask for. The toast was cold and unbuttered and shattered as soon as my knife cut into it, so the only really edible part of the meal was the yolk.

This morning I went to a more promising place that offered traditional breakfasts. This time I thought I would go for scrambled egg and tomato. I would love to name this 'eatery' , as even the chef seemed unable to say just why they had decided to put half a cup of cream and oregano in the eggs (truly disgusting beyond belief) and sprinkled rosemary on the tomatoes. The best he could say was that he thought it was continental in some way, which meant that it was quite acceptable. It isn't. What it really is is an excuse to charge vastly more money for simple foods that should be half the price.

And why, just because I'm a vegetarian, do you think that I must like tofu, goat's cheese, rocket, nuts and under-cooked veg? I like the same foods as everyone else, I'm not a health freak just because I don't like meat, so trying to appeal to me with curly kale or any of the weeds that the TV chefs have told you is in vogue, isnt' going to work.  Whilst we're at it, whatever happened to decent desserts and on what planet are rhubarb, gooseberrys and pears, a good basis for a sweet? They have become almost obsolete here for a reason.

Please, stop messing about with food just so it will sound clever on the menu.

MelT (and NO melts either !!! :)

2. Good excuse to make your own food, nothing like cooking up an nice satisfying breakfast for yourself to start off your day.

3. This is the thing, I do. I do all the cooking and make breakfast every day for my wife quite early on, but I would just like to go out once and have it made for me. Somewhere that can do basic things like fry an egg properly, and not charge two pounds for it because it comes with parsley:)

MelT

4. Its so rare finding cafes that avoid processed food and have plenty of vege options. I am a meat eater but love vege meals. There are now two cafes in my town which are up to my standard.. offering organic, free range, vegan, vegetarian meals made with real food! fingers crossed more to come!!

Maybe its time for you to opwn your own cafe OP :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Sounds great:) Strangely - or perhaps obviously - once you move away from the city and out to small towns you have a better chance of getting something decent; but I travel quite frequently, and in many places the perfectly formed little cafe that should offer the best there can be, turns out to be a retirement hobby-plot that is even worse than here. If I had the time and money I would consider opening up my own place.

MelT

6. Lol. Ive never seen melt mad befor

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app