bringing booze onto a cruise

Discussion in 'General' started by onthemoon, Jan 9, 2011.

1. So me and some buddies are going to go on a cruise this summer, but we were wondering if we go to a country, say mexico, where we are legal to drink can we bring it back onto the ship no problem? idk if we would still be under US laws and restrictions while in foreign waters.

When I went on a european cruise last summer we were able to buy alcohol on the ship cuz we were over 18, so im unsure how this trip would work.

2. #2 newbgrow, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
    They check bottles you buy into the ship, as in take them until you get back. Most ships have stores to buy booze in, onboard.

Most ships also have like 5 bars min. They are loose and never ID unless you look 12. Just give them your room number and card.

Edit: Ha, your thread title rhymes. Yeah I'm high, what of it?

3. I'm pretty sure they let you bring one bottle of alcohol on the ship when you get on. But you can also bring a box of wine because it doesn't look like alcohol when they screen bangs. Also when getting back on the ship from Mexico, just have the bottles in your pockets. Don't let them see it or it'll be confiscated.

4. Wrong, the bartenders are super serious about serving minors. And on most ships they usually hole punch your card if you are younger than 18 or 21.

You can buy booze and bring it back, only for it to be taken away and given to you after the voyage. Just bring water bottles full of something clear back on board, but dont take the piss and try to bring 20 back at once in a backpack.

5. This is true, we got around it by buying 4 bottles between my brother and myself and we jammed 2 bottles in each of our pants. We got back on board and since we werent carrying anything, and nothing set off the metal detector, we just kept them in our pants until we got to our room on the boat. We have done this everytime we have gone on a cruise and have never had the bottles taken away. Just gotta wear baggy pants.

If you try to walk on the boat with the bottles out, they will take them until the end of the cruise.

6. When I was on a cruise to alaska with my family years ago we got to some part of the ocean where there were "no laws" (?) and for half a day everyone on the ship could gamble and drink

The entire ship had a party atmosphere it was pretty rad especially when you are under age

7. I went on a cruise when I was 16 and never had problems. My sister did similar when she went on one at 19. I certainly can't say for all ships, but this is my experience.