Brewing some tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by DixonCox, May 14, 2011.

1. #1 DixonCox, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
    I started a batch of tea today using this recipe pretty much only multiplied by 7 for 35 gallons.

I did add some nannochloropsis about 10ml, I use this for feeding rotifers. I have no idea if this will do anything but i'm sure it won't hurt, there is an analysis here.

Anyway hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures under the scope tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

Attached Files:

2. Let us know

3. Dixon

The addition of the algae is an interesting one. Here's a listing of the 6 strains that comprise the Nannochloropsis from Algae Base that might give you a better idea on what to expect perhaps at the end of the brewing cycle.

LD2

4. DixonCox

The algae product - does it have any kind of a fermented aroma to it by any chance?

LD2

5. No, its actually very fresh. I've added some not so fresh smelling "nano" to a rotifer culture and it wreaked havoc, so if it smells it get tossed. I thought it would be as you said an "interesting addition". We'll see how it looks in a few hours. :)

6. Well, I took some pictures. They're not the best pics as the Leica doesn't have enough magnification. These pics were taken with an iPhone through the eye piece lol. It looked better with my eyes that's for sure. Looks like I did brew some bacteria though, what bacteria I have no idea, nothing to stain the slides with and even then I wouldn't be able to identify them (not my thing).

Attached Files:

7. Dixon,

That's some cool photography. I think I see some protozoa and some fungal hyphae along with the bacteria. Go to Microbe Organics for better identification.There are videos as well as stills, but it looks like your tea is alive!

Nice job!

chunk

8. Thanks, yeah the long strand in the last photo definitely looks like a hypha to me.

9. Dixon

Sorry to keep bugging you but I had another question for you about this product you're using.

Does' the word/term 'phototropic' appear anywhere on the label or literature by any chance?

LD2

10. It's no problem at all. The specific product I used is this one. Unfortunately (or fortunately) its dead algae as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it would cause great troubles for me if it were reproducing when its being used for its intended use.

11. Dixon

Thanks for the link - interesting product line. I'll look it over later this evening and put in an order.

I did as much study as I was able to find quickly on these strains of algae. I'm going to send them an email to ask about the phototropic aspect - if any - in their product lines.

That would be a real treat to play with as the only source I'm aware of comes with a ton of baggage that would not be helpful or appropriate for every application.

LD2

12. No problem. What are you looking at the phototropism for in regards to our endeavors? Now you have my interest peaked.

13. DixonCox

In an obscure paper included in Dr. Jerzey Weber's work at the University of Poland, there is a minor note made about the effects from another experiment of introducing certain classes of green and purple phototrophic bacteria into composting plant matter that had been inoculated with Ericoid mycorrhiza spores.

It came to my attention that the Ericoid spores are available and I was hoping to find a better source for the bacteria strains - rather than how they're generally collected or grown.

The web site you linked to is fascinating on several levels and I thank you for providing the information about these folks. I've sent the link to several people that I felt would benefit from looking at these products and perhaps testing some of them.

LD2

14. So, ericoid mycorrhizae is a new one to me..... Any more on this LD?

15. Stankie

The study of mycorrhizae fungi is a new science and in particular how they work in an agriculture environment. Initially the study of ecto-mycorrhizae fungi was at the forefront because of the need to reforest areas around the world.

Next up was the beginnings of the study of endo-mycorrhizae fungi and about 10 years ago some soil biologists began identifying another class called ectendomycorrhizal fungi which has characteristics of endo and ecto types. Today many biologists put these types into one or the other.

And then there is the 4th group (or 3rd depending on who's counting) Ericoid mycorrhizas. This type is the least understood because its functions run a wide gamut. Ericoid mycorrhizas have properties which allow plants to receive nutrients from not-yet-decomposed materials via the decomposing actions from the other Ericoid colonies.

That's fine and good. But another function is with the family of plants (Ericaceae) which include Blueberries, Rhododendrons, et al. which are not able to form mycorrhizal associations with endo or ecto have been shown to form these associations with some (not all) of this family of plants.

Blueberries and Rhododendrons are important crops here.

Where the inoculation of the root zone with phototrophic bacteria comes in I'm pretty fuzzy as the cite I mentioned offered little more than slight reference. Most of Dr. Weber's work has not been translated to English and since I don't speak Polish and the chances that I ever will are somewhere between nil and none, I figured I might have some fun working with the blueberry plants we have (5 varieties).

Just playing around as usual.

LD2

16. Google Translate

The beauty of the internet, although I've found that its pretty hard to read when you use it, esp. on technical documents.

On another note. I'm glad that stuff may be of use to someone. The use of the "nano" is pretty common in aquaculture but you know how stuff doesn't always flow into different circles. I know that my job would be much much harder without it.

17. No kidding! Not that he's anywhere on your level but an old friend of mine has been involved in saltwater reef systems for 25+ years. He's 'heavily invested' in that hobby.

He's explained to me a number of times (or at least tried) on the approach that he and others take to aerating the tanks. Completely different from the approach used by AACT brewers.

I'm not so sure that the aquarium crowd don't have a lot to contribute to the science of brewing compost teas but as you pointed out things tend to stay in concentric circles of influence.

LD2