Breeding

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by onthemooch, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Ok so iv got a sealy bah of lambs breath regular seeds that i got from my mate in jamacia. He also very kindly brought me some "most wanted" seeds too . Obv i cant verify for myself exactly the source but im happy.

I wanted to start a home breeding project but litterally have no idea where to start with this sort of depth.

I also have some reg black widow seeds. Reg afgan and reg santa maria seeds.

Does any one here know anything about breeding or can point me in the direction of some solid litrature you have used.

I know its a bit vague but hoping someone out here knows there genetix

Cherrs

2. The best place I've found to look up genetics and traits is SeedFinder.eu :: Marijuana Strain Database | Search | Research
    Look around because often different people will have different opinions on a plants traits.

I would say your first step is going to be getting healthy plants going from each of your strains. You'll need an isolation area for males/pollinating away from the female bud area you have eventually or to use for pollinating and not contaminating the rest of the crop.

You can make female plants produce male flowers towards the end of bud by spraying them with colloidal silver among other products out there. That's how feminized seeds are made.

Once males or females that have been sprayed to grow male flowers are ready to drop pollen in the isolation area you can take a plant and set it on wax paper or a piece of large poster board. The pollen will fall on the poster board. You can agitate the plant to make more fall and let it dry out. Once you have enough pollen you can sweep it up with a paint brush and scoop some into ziplock bags. Label each bag and place them in the freezer. The pollen will keep for years.

Raise, collect and label pollen from as many plants as you can.

When you want to pollinate a plant isolate it from the rest and dust a large branch with one of your pollen samples from the freezer of your choice.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Found a good article for you with some resources.
    http://hightimes.com/strains/grow-qa-breeding-your-own-strain/
    Remember to always do your homework. I suggest starting on this road by learning about Mendel and his pea pods and then moving on to Robert Connell Clark’s “seminal” book on the subject “Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study of the Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis”, Greg Green’s more recent, “The Cannabis Breeder’s Bible: The Definitive Guide to Marijuana Genetics, Cannabis Botany and Creating Strains for the Seed Market” and “Dank: The Quest for the Very Best Marijuana: A Breeder’s Tale” by Subcool. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thanks for this mate i appreciate the effort in replying. Lots of usefull info. Im going to have to get my research hat on.

Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  5. wow been looking for DANK by subcool.... the paperback is 1000$+Can
    Ouch
    R.i.p. Sub

6. Thanks for posting Tbone. I hope you are still around or that someone can help me.

I have one female and two males. The female is huge (25 sq ft of vertically arrayed trellis filled with a budding hard core sativa) and I would like to dust one lower branch with the same strain of sativa, another branch with an amazing indica perfectly suited to NorCal latitudes.
    Flowers have appeared but the budding process is very lengthy with all manners of maturity in flowers.

so when is the best time to pollinate cannabis flowers/flower clusters?

Here are a few pictures of my sativa. D2903B1E-6014-409F-A791-5705DE417551.jpeg BB979AF0-34DF-4ED6-A45F-73EE91595AFE.jpeg EE11C196-E182-4EEA-A1D9-D8E3944825C4.jpeg

7. #7 WeeDroid, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Oh I just found this. Happy to hear from other folks as well though.

Step five: Ideally, fuzzy white pistils should be ready for fertilization 3 to 4 weeks after the first pistils appear. Cover the selected female branch with the pollen filled bag. Shake the bag.

NOTE: An alternate method is to use a small paint brush to apply pollen from the bag to the pistils if you want only a few seeds.

Step Seven: Leave the bag for two or three days, to ensure fertilization. Be careful not to scatter pollen on adjacent sinsemilla crop when removing the bag.

Step Eight: After fertilization, seeds will be ripe in 3-6 weeks. Harvest seeds when they split open the containing calyx or rattle in the pod.