Breeding with a runt?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Daxxy, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Hi all, new grower here I got 3 bagseeds and decided to grow them (all my other seeds are from 3 to 5 years old) 2 were amazing and their first set of true leaves were huge compared to what I've seen, but unfortunately they're both males. The 3rd one is a runt but thought fuck it and let it grow, turned out to be female.

The whole purpose of the grow was to get some fresh seeds and see what I can do with them (already addicted to growing lol) so I bit the bullet and seeded her asap plus collected plenty of extra pollen from the 2 males.

My question is, should I back cross any daughters with the fathers pollen? Will this help minimizing the runt DNA or is the damage done? Would like to keep these genetics going because it stays short and isn't stinky.

I'm growing super micro but here is a picture of her. 15 days from showing sex, 27 days from flip.

Thanks all,
    Daxxy 20200125_213255.jpg

2. The money you'd spend crossing with the females and waiting you could just buy new seeds so just grow with the 1 girl you have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. normally one learns to walk before learning to drive but not here in the Advanced sf of gc?
    as you don know what you have or what you are doing, far safer for you to just buy in proper named seed
    that way you know what you got and where you go

• Like Like x 1
  4. If that was an option I'd gladly do that. Far safer for me to grow what I have be because it cant be traced back to me.

I'm only in this part of the forums because it's the place for breeding which my post is about. Correct me if im wrong but I'm in the right place.

I don't know exactly what I'm doing but I know what I want to do, I only lack experience. Theres a wonderful thing called the internet and I'm smart enough to use it, however I couldn't find anything relevant to my situation because people generally just kill runts. I only get $40 to my name each week, I'm keeping costs as low and possible.

Thank you for your amazing help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Go ahead and try out your seeds. Dont expect too much of them tho. All the great variety we have now came from selective breeding. You might get lucky and end up with something special right away or it might take 100 generations of selection to make it worthwhile. Point is to do what feels right for you. I make my own crosses, some great, others bunk. Good luck to you.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Dont worry I'm not expecting anything lol all I can reasonably assume is that the seeds I grew were made on purpose. The buds I pulled them out from had been chopped up as if the grower was looking for them. They may not be the best quality but I had a blast smoking that shit and would love to see what I can do with it.

I've wanted to grow ever since I got my first seeds, these I know what they are but they are 5 years old (white rhino X bubba kush) so I'm going to see if any germinate next round.

Once I live in a house I own, I'd love to do proper crosses but for now I'd like to prepare. I thought I'd try growing because I've always wanted to and now I'm able to. Seeing if what I have will germinate and seeing if I'd like to keep the genetics going.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Your self grown seeds will work fine. Even from a runt.
    Let the seeds mature and select the best looking ones. They will all grow a bit different, but from there it's mostly about how you grow them.
    Always expect a runt or two when comparing to the others.
    I have purposely pollinated runts in the past when attempting to thin the herd.
    Those seeds have gone on to grow 2-3 lb sativas that ran out of room at the 9' peak in my green house.
    Now, if I were going to sell seeds and brag about their super goodness, it may affect the way I select my breeders. But that's not what I'm doing and I'm completely satisfied with seeds from small or struggling plants that had a rough start or just didn't seem to keep up with the others.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Perfect, just what I wanted to hear tysm.

9. lol does it make sense to you? or just want someone to tell u it will be ok? if want more runts u use it. get some better seeds my man can get them now adays on the cheap(2-3 dollars a pop from spanish bulk who make seeds for ~70% of euro breeders or nirvana . few extra bucks to ensure are not wasting your time and energy seems like a no brainer. unless at your parents and dont have a CC to order with. bag seed is fine, to grow, some can actually be GREAT ie fortune cookies but that is not typical case esp in commercial mids. and dont really want to use that to breed with if thats your goal.

you will be muh happier with your results with quality genetics vs trying to tease out some ok non runt stuff from poor bagseed.

looks almost like dr grinspoon with giant calyxs and very few of them. unless seeded?

10. lol also listening to people saying thin the hurd by hitting pollen onto runts shows right there they dont really know what genetics do. sorry, not trying to be a jerk.

sure you MAY get lucky and some stuff will work out not bad once grow enough numbers. using a runt means u selected for a runt to be pased down. great way to learn about punnit sqaure etc, but also you are hampering your learning by having a wildcard.. is it your soil? nutes? watering? light? or just mutant runt genetics? bit of a chase your tail. when for a few dollars u can get payed back in faster learning higher more quality yeilds only makes sense. unless cannot order because live with parents etc.

11. That's cool bro, nice necro

12. Yo fuck the haters, if you got a good looking stud and wanna make seed stock go for it. Your gonna know after a few seeds if they are consistent or absolute shit. Keep a cut of the female going regardless.

13. Thanks mate that's exactly what I've done, I'm not trying to breed my own strain or anything like that

Due to my space limitations I couldn't take a cutting but I shall do that in the future

I've grown 3 seeds from that breeding and they're decently consistent from the small sample size, little bit of variety with the leaves being a little wider or thinner when small but they look more similar as they grow

Once my country votes legalization I'm gonna order some seeds from Dutch passion so these seeds are literally just to keep me growing until then

14. For sure, legalization might take awhile id make seeds.