Breeding question..

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Lathus, May 17, 2015.

1. Got what may seem like a stupid question but I have been told different thus why I'm asking.

I have a few plants going out this grow season all feminized. I also have a few more that are regular seeds, 3-4 of each: sweet god and girl scout cookies each from BCBD.

So my question is; if i plant all the GSC's together and one turns out to be a male I would like to let them get pollinated so that I can have some more GSC seeds. Would that give me good seeds or messed up seeds that wouldn't be worth it? Also plan on doing the same with the sweet gods.
    Sorry a noob to breeding but all my plants will be out in the next couple of days was just thinking about it.

2. You're better off keeping males separate so you control pollination. Also it helps to have a breeding plan if you are just crossing random plants that's not really a breeding plan. You will need to take extensive notes and track everything. every strain has different phenotypes, you have to chose the plants with the traits that are desirable. Anyway there is a lot to consider, I am not a breeder and suggest a lot of reading if you wish to be successful...Good luck

3. I am all for SativaDreams' idea of controlling pollination, but I'm also a fan of open pollinating. Reason being is plants seem to behave differently in their natural setting, males competing for the herd, females possibly reacting selectively in growth patterns prior to pollen releasing etc.

4. Those are some damngood thoughts and opinions man,, I appreciate..

5. The marijuana dating game, lol.

6. Yes the remarkable love life of cannabis

7. The seeds you make will depend on the parents. Most likely the seeds you start with will be F1's (first generation of a cross). The seeds you make will be F2's of the seeds you started with. F2 seeds throw a lot, and I mean a lot, of different phenos, whereas F1 seeds tend to be more stable. Take the F2 seeds, grow them, isolate some phenos you like and then breed those, now you have in the offspring F3 seeds. Take these and isolate phenos you like and make F4 beans. You'll start getting true breeding seeds (most seeds throw same phenos when grown) around F3, The more you then cross those resulting seeds, the more the seeds will throw the same phenos.I'm doing this now with my Cheese Krush. I am on F2 at the momet. I grew out 30 seeds this spring, got at least 15 different phenos, of which only one was a keeper. I am growing clones of the keeper now and aqm going to do the F3 of this cross this winter. You can see my grow here... http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-cannabis-breedi...

8. You may loose hybrid vigor if breeding from F1 seeds AND PLANTING THE F2 BEANS YOU MAKE. GIVE IT A TRY. I isolate male , havest pollen, and destroy them. pollen keeps fresh in fridge for 1 mo. apply with paint brush or q tip.

9. You may loose hybrid vigor if breeding from F1 seeds AND PLANTING THE F2 BEANS YOU MAKE. GIVE IT A TRY. I isolate male , havest pollen, and destroy them. pollen keeps fresh in fridge for 1 mo. apply with paint brush or q tip.

10. Yeah, after seeing all the replies, lots of good info. But to answer your question, yes breeding a true male and a female from feminized seeds should be fine. Usually when breeding two females(one a hermie from treatment or natural), that's when you chance more hermies. But with that male, could be a lot less likely. All I have to say is breed away! Nothing like getting enough seeds to plant for the next few years, allow you to make mistakes with less investment and not worry so much if one specific seed is actually gonna be a female.