Breeding inside while growing outside

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by WillowMaker, May 28, 2020.

1. If I breed a few plants in my basement while I’m growing outside, what’s the chances the pollen will travel and ruin my crop?
    Is there a “safe” way to accomplish this?
    Also, after breeding in a tent, how do I ensure Pollen won’t ruin my next indoor harvest down the road?

2. Im circumventing accidental pollination by starting the process now while my flower room has like 2 wks left. As far as neutralizing pollen i hear a good wipe down and cleaning should get it taken care of. What are you breeding.

3. Not sure yet. I have like 12 strains right now. I was thinking of breeding a few of the ones that were marketed as heavy yielders from the source. “Trench Buddy” from Michigan Marijuana Seed Club is promised to yield over 5lbs if grown in the right conditions and “Drunken Gorilla” by them is supposed to be pretty good, “Tomahawk” was recommended highly by the staff at GreenPoint Seeds and so was “Orange blossom special”. I’ve also got a “Purple chem 4” from them and a few “bodega bubblegum” also from them. I could always wait until after harvest to decide which strains were my favorite but the strains tend to sell out. I got this small batch of “buck a bean” seeds from MMSC that are random seeds from their breeding process over the last ten years too. Wondering if I wanted to make my own strain, what would I have to do to truly call it my own? Also, can you elaborate on your plan to ensure you don’t accidentally pollinate?

4. Can you put a grow tent in the washing machine? Would that do it?

5. My bitches will be done before any pollen will be released. My stud is looking like hes plumping up so sometime this weekend if not next week he should pollinate. As far as your situation id be more worried about my clothes transmitting pollen if its down in the basement.

Im planning on crossing terp wine with wifi cocktail from third eye genetics.

• Like Like x 1
  6. What do you think of Third eye? Recommend them? Can a take a clone from a lower flowering larfy branch once I see how they grow and re-veg it? Also, if I find a natural occurring hermie could I dig it up and put it in a pot and bring it inside to pollinate itself and others for fem seeds? I mean, I’d be terrified to do that to one of the ladies but if it’s a hermie what’s the risk right?

7. I like third eye only problem is i lost the dudes contact info.

If you can get the clone to root it will just take a while to reveg and grow.

Only reason im making seeds is like mentioned above i cant find the dude no more so i making a batch of seeds with a strain thats pretty dang close to what im trying to preserve.

I wouldnt use a hermie to make seeds whether its chemically induced or natural. I have regular seeds and got lucky with the first one being male. Only have 4 more of those seeds and would like to find a female to compare the seeds to.

Id breed one of those mega yielders for sure, even if the yield potential falls a bit it should be still above par and you will get seed stock.

Only issue im concerned with is more or less growing my homemade seeds enough to find the gems so to speak.

8. Why wouldn’t you use a hermie?

9. I thought about using the silver on my clones but growing a male is just easier i guess, plus im just wondered all the seeds would end up hermie. Last note, the female is 2nd seed i got to flower of the strain and not quite as nice as the first one and finally its my wifes favorite, she enjoys the terpenes it makes more than the smoke.

10. I am thinking of trying indoor/outdoor breeding next year. I think the way to go is have a veg space and a dark area for clone. You pop your seeds, take cuts, flower them. You grow out the males while the seedlings veg and can't be pollinated. Then store pollen and pollenate in the main flowering.

11. “dark area for clone”? just curious what you mean dark area for clones since their usually get 24 of continuous light?

12. Once they root and grow a bit I would give them 12/12 to collect pollen. I could have them in the main space and cover them with a box every evening.

• Like Like x 1
  13. It's pretty safe, as long as you don't go from a room of pollinating males straight outside to your flowers. Tend to flowers first, then to males, then wash.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

14. Howd it go OP