Breakfast

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by SniperKitty, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Okay blades, I'm not on a diet, I'm on a "lifestyle change"... I want to eat more fruits and veggies and cut out a lot of soda, fast food, you know the drill. I'm not cutting the things I love completely out, which is why it isn't a diet, I'm just limiting the amount I can splurge....

That being said, I'm having problems getting ideas for breakfast.... Usually I would eat a bagel with margarine, but that's been making me sick, I think I've eaten it WAY too much for too long and my body is like "give me something new you bitch!".

Every once in a while I'll scramble an egg to mix it up, but I really don't have much else to eat for breakfasts... Nothing healthy anyways, french toast, pancakes, and McDonalds sausage biscuits aren't very good...

So what are some ideas for breakfast foods? Healthy things that you guys eat for breakfasts. Some fruits are hard for me to stomach in the mornings, like bananas and grapes, and I can't drink water in the morning or I will throw up. My body is kind of out of whack in the mornings so that's why I find it hard to get ideas for breakfasts.

I have a 7 month old, so I can't really go all out and cook a big meal or anything. Something small and easy to fix, but it's healthy at the same time. Lately I've been skipping breakfast, just drinking a cup of coffee in the morning because I have no idea what kinds of foods to eat that are healthy, easy to fix, and won't cause my tummy to be upset in the morning. So any help would be appreciated! I hate not eating breakfast, and it's starting to effect the way my day goes up until lunch time.

2. An orange or grapefruit is a great way to start the morning. And eating a citrus in the morning jump starts your metabolism (no, drinking orange juice doesn't count, unless you juice an orange yourself).

I start with that. On days I go to the gym, I have oatmeal. Add raisins, honey, and cinnamon--delicious. Non-gym days, I usually just do scrambled eggs. Eggs in general are good, lots of choices too; scrambled, fried, omelet, egg sandwich. an omelet might be best for you, because you can add in some veggies like mushrooms, onions, peppers...

Also, don't use the kid as excuse not to cook. Making some eggs or oatmeal isn't hard at all. And by spending time and learning to cook, you'll be able to prepare healthy food for him/her as well in the future.

3. I can't handle OJ for some reason so that isn't a big issue for me haha. I love oranges though, weird... I'll have to go searching, the walmart that we shopped at last week didn't even sell apples. I usually don't shop there but we had a gift card. Grapefruit didn't even cross my mind until now! How do you know if they are good or not? Or is it just a "grab one and hope for the best" kind of like blueberries.

4. not sure, tbh. i shop at wegmans, and the store i go to usually has good produce. i think grapefruit will get a bit discolored and loose it's "firmness" if it's not good.

5. well i really like eggs so i eat them almost every day,

my typical morning consists of a bagel toasted with cream cheese, 4 eggs scrambled with cheese (microwaved if im short on time) and a nice big coffee. Im on my feet all day moving around so i need a solid breakfast to start the day, and this has me feeling good every day until lunch.

basically i suggest eggs, theyre pretty healthy, filling, easy to make, and you can make then so many different ways that you can avoid getting bored with them.

6. I eat eggwhites or oatmeal. Oatmeal before I work out for sure.

Oh and eggwhites are kind of an aquired taste, but they're fantastic for you.

7. I hear eggwhites all the time... but it that like only the white part of a boiled egg? If so that's the only part of a boiled egg I will eat anyways haha.

8. Simple breakfast that takes 5 minutes to make:

1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
    1 egg
    1/3 cup of water
    Coconut oil (to grease cooking pan)

Makes a nice, healthy breakfast with protein, fiber, and carbs that's dairy free! Top with maple syrup and you got one of the healthiest breakfasts out there.

9. Yes and they're fantastic for you!

10. i prefer having the yolks. :) if you're trying to loose weight or have high cholesterol, then it may be good to stick to egg whites. but the yolks really aren't bad, they're actually very good for you in moderation.

11. I'm not trying to loose weight, I'm 135 and 5ft 6 after having a baby 7 months ago. So I'm in pretty good shape. Just trying to eat healthier, and I don't like yolks of boiled eggs.... I have an issue with texture with a lot of foods. I JUST started liking potatoes, and I can not stand yogurt, I love the taste, but I can't handle the texture in my mouth. It makes me gag >.<

12. im a raw vegan and usually start my mornings with water, melon, and a fat smoothie with 10 bananas, hemp seeds, and coconut oil

13. I can't sustain a raw diet, costs too much and I live with a man who's a carnivore. It's hard enough as it is to drink water and not soda, and eat fruits and veggies haha.

And 10 bananas? Holy shit, I can hardly eat a whole one without filling up o.o

Would hemp seeds show up in a drug test? I know they are good for you, but if you were apply for a job would you have to stop eating them if you had to get drug tested? I don't have to be tested, it's a curiosity question.

14. The breakfast I eat is from a bulking diet, so you may not need to consume so much, but this is what I eat:

1.5 cups of oats
    2 eggs, 2 egg whites scrambled together
    2 cups of 2 percent milk

I mix my oats and milk because I don't like waiting thirteen years for my oatmeal to cool down, and it takes a minute to whip up. You can probably cut out the egg whites, too, if you aren't looking to bulk up. so this is what I would recommend:

3/4 cup of oats
    2 eggs
    1 cup of milk, 1 cup of water

15. that's a lot... even your recommendation. generally, 1/2 cup of uncooked oatmeal is a servings size. you shouldn't need eggs on top of that.

16. Isn't oatmeal awfully bland?

17. if you eat it plain? yes. it's horrible.

but, add raisins, honey, and cinnamon... SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!