Breakdown of what happened during the ASA v. DEA hearing

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by seabourne, Oct 19, 2012.

1. "For example, hospital emergency rooms routinely ask about substance use and that even a person who had used marijuana and then been injured by a drunk driver would be coded as a "marijuana-related" emergency room visit. "

This quote to me sums up the entire philosophy our government has on anything marijuana related.

Also this quote really really troubles me:

"The jurists appeared to question whether the courts had the right to second-guess the DEA.

"The real question is to what extent we have to defer to the agency," said Judge Harry Edwards."

OFCOURSE the courts have the rights to second guess the DEA. That is the job of the courts in a damn democracy, to help the people overturn government laws, or organization policies which seem unconstitutional.

But whenever I think about this whole issue I cant help but feel negative. I find the chances of our American, democratic, free government will ever legalize medical marijuana or marijuana in general on a federal basis to to be damn near null. Because of the businesses that marijuana, if legalized would over run. They wont legalize medical marijuana because they have the American's who need medical prescription eating out of their palms. People easily abuse and become addicted to countless prescription meds and that just keeps them coming back for more. Thats what keeps the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies fat.

I dont know, call me pessimistic about the legalization for marijuana on any level but I find it hard to even believe its plausible.

I live in Denver, Colorado and will be voting yes on 64 for the legalization of marijuana. But even if it passes, no way in hell will the federal government let it become in full effect.

Only time will tell

2. Judge Garland asked at one point, “Don’t we have to defer to the agency? We’re not scientists. They are.”

This comment worries me. Referring to the DEA as "scientists" ffs.
    Big difference between cops and scientists.

3. Lmfao at "DEA are scientists". Holy crap this world is fucked.

4. That the suit is still in the courtroom and the judges are asking for more info from a plaintiff means they have not even decided yet on the "standing".

The 1988 ruling by the DEA Administrative Judge that marijuana was a medicine and could be safely used under medical supervision should be all the science required for the court to make it's decision.

The headlines are misleading,,the court is not deciding if marijuana is medicine or not,it is deciding if the DEA's refusal to reschedule is harming the plaintiffs in such a way that re-scheduling is required to remove the harm,,

5. If the courts are unsure of how they can second guess the DEA then the country the founding fathers created has failed. I sure would hope every American has taken a basic Social Studies, Civics or Government class. One of the main things they teach is the system of checks and balances created within the government. The job of the courts is to rule on the constitutionality and justness of laws created by the leaders.