Brand New To Programming, Simple Question

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DrazyHaze, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hey GC,

I've always wanted to learn how to program so i've finally started.

I'm working with Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express.

Heres the problem.

I'll write a code in my project, build and compile it, the .exe runs etc etc.

But, then I'll go back and erase that same code and write new code and build+compile it but it runs the same .exe from the first code.

Why does it do this?

And how do i fix it?

Thanks.

2. That is interesting, I do not see why if the project name and target file haven't changed it would want to not overwrite the old binary. Probably just remove the old one before you re compile, sounds like a simple fix :)

And welcome to the wonderful world of programming! Since you are working with C++, may i recommend visiting cplusplus.com and reading the tutorials there. That site has lots of great info and really helped me when I was learning C.

3. so if you write out a hello world program, compile and run.. you see the hello world string in your console right?

What happens if you change that string to "Goodbye world" and compile/run?

Does the new executable run with the new string?

I'm just trying to figure out if it has anything to do with the fact that you're erasing everything and starting over, or if it's just running the same executable every time regardless of how you manipulate the source.