brand new hydroponics

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by homegrow420, Aug 6, 2012.

1. I built a DWC hydroponics system the other day and it seems to be working just fine, but i'm concerned that my media isnt right... I heard that LECA works well and i havent seen it done any other way... but at the same time right now, i'm using perlite right out of the bag with a few river stones at the bottom of my culture pots to hold my plants... is this bad? should i change it? how do i go about changing my media without damaging my new roots??? any help or suggestions or pictures, links to videos, anything would be appreciated! thanks guys and happy growing!

2. You can use perlite OK. As your plant gets bigger you might want to stake it as the perlite does not give as sturdy a base as LECA (we just call it hydroton around here after the manufacturer.

Make sure you get a good air stone as you want lots of Oxygen in your water as perlite will hold water fairly well.

3. yeah... i have a 2 gal setup and a pump that is rated for 10+ gallons... so i think it'll work fine =] noticable new root growth after only a few days...