Brand new grower who just acquired a beautiful plant. Yellow leaves. Puzzled. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by newgrower_yay, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Hello! Excuse the brand new account. I live in a state where this is perfectly legal...but still....

In what may have been one of the luckiest things to ever happen, on Sunday I found found this absolutely beautiful plant literally on the curb. My guess is whoever had it was moving and put it out hoping that she'd find a good home. She did! I'm obsessed! I've always wanted to do a grow but hadn't lived in a legal state until a few years ago and just could never get it together. Feels like this was a gift from the cosmos.

Anyway, here's the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, there are four female plants in there. They look really really happy to me. Aside from the yellow leaves.

She is kept outside facing southwest. It is sunny, warm, and dry here and she gets sun, at this point in the year, for about 15 hours. Though the days will start getting shorter now.

I've been watering her a modest amount in the morning at the base of each plant. You can see the pink watering container in one of the pics. I fill that up maybe 1/3. It gets pretty hot here, though. Soil was definitely dry this morning.

She doesn't look like she has any pests or anything. I showed a pic to a guy in a dispensary and he agreed that she looked well cared for. It does look like she's in the very early stages of flowering.

So, I guess my concerns are if I am watering enough or too much and if the amount of sun is okay. The leaves don't look fried or droopy, they are just yellowing towards the bottom of the plants.

Since this plant was a gift from the heavens, I have no idea the strain or the makeup of the soil or anything like that. I can only account for what I do going forward. That said, it looks like the person who had it before me knew what they were doing.

Any ideas? Is all well? Sorry for asking a question that's been asked 1000s of times. Doing research online paints a very fickle picture of these plants, so I just want to ask some internet experts directly instead. Thanks for your help! I'm so excited and don't want to screw this up!

• Like Like x 1
  2. It IS a gift from the heavens! That's a pretty phenomenal gift!

I have a few thoughts that you may want to consider:
    1) Are you fertilizing them at all? Cannabis plants need a LOT of food -much more than other common garden plants. This looks like it is a nitrogen deficiency, and if that is the case, it can be remedied some some proper care.
    [​IMG]
    I don't want to insult you if you're familiar with fertilizing pot plants, but, briefly, you can fertilize with bottled nutrients (both synthetic and organic bottled nutrients exist) or with truly organic soil amendments in the form of top dressings and teas. I've grown with bottled, organic nutrients, and, although it is probably the most common way to fertilize, I found it complicated and time consuming. I'm currently growing a few plants using organic soil amendments, and I prefer it significantly. Let me know if you need more info, and I'm happy to help.

2) That container seems pretty small for four mature cannabis plants. Someone else on GC may disagree, but you may want to consider cutting the root ball to separate the plants and transplanting them into separate containers. Another option is to remove that whole root ball from the container and plant it into the ground.

3) What's that white, sock-looking thing on top of the soil?

Good luck, man! This is one of the most puzzling, thrilling, frustrating, and rewarding hobbies that you'll pursue!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Great find. Welcome to the world of growing. First I recommend you learn as much as possible about growing cannabis. I suggest purchasing a grow book, I own a few and prefer Jorge's Cervantes Marijuana encyclopedia. It is the most comprehensive grow book I have read and found. Anything you need to know about growing, breeding, cloning, harvesting and other uses for cannabis are in the book. The more you learn the less issues you will have and better your plants will turn out.
    As for the plants I would transplant them into the ground or into larger pots. The larger the pot the bigger the plant, less waterings and healthier the plant will be. I would buy either fabric pots or dig large holes in the ground and use a high quality soil. After transplanting you can give a moderate feeding of bottled nutrients or use a organic tea to help provide nitrogen.
    I would also treat the plants for pest. Treating them for bugs at least once a weeek should help prevent mites, caterpillars, aphids and other pest from destroying your plants. Protecting the plants from getting eaten or damaged by animals is another concern. Deer and rabbits love eating cannabis, dogs will piss on plants and will destroy the plants. It's important to ensure that you keep them in a safe location and I use cages to help protect and provide support for my plants. As the get larger and flower the branches get heavy and will need support so they don't break. Using a cage or trellis netting will help prevent some of the damage. This should be enough to get you started in the right direction. Good luck

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yeah that's normal. All plants that I've seen have done this. They just defoliate themselves. Bottom leaves only it seems. Prob due to sunlight. Also heard that plant cannibalizes itself when nutes are low but found that to be somewhat false with mine. It happens with low, high, or medium. Pretty sure its normal

5. Thank you guys for the great responses. I'll definitely start fertilizing in some manner and start reading up. The stuff on top of the soil was there when I found it. Looks almost like carbon filter. The whole thing is very mysterious and confounding. I'm sure I'll have more questions shortly!

• Like Like x 1
  6. You for sure need to get her in a bigger pot, I'd recommend the smart pot line. I'd also start feeding her/them right meow. Earth Juice is a great organic nutrient line.