Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Brain Aneurysm's and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by jgurer, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Is it true that Marijuana will cause the formation of a aneurysm or make an existing one burst? I was told that nicotine will cause your blood vessels to constrict but marijuana will cause them to dilate and if this is true then I would see how nicotine would cause this but not marijuana. And would using a vaporizer eliminate the risk of getting an brain aneurysm or one bursting?

2. Wow. I never heard this one before. Unfortunately, I can't tell you for sure what will happen. I've never seen anything in the literature that would suggest MJ would produced aneurysm in healthy people... and if it did, there'd be an epedemic of aneurysms in this Country :smoke:

MJ does seem to cause your heart rate and blood pressure to go up initially (first 15-30 minutes maybe), so I can see if you had an existing aneurysm that was grossly dilated, and had been told not to exercise or have sex or get out of a chair too quickly, ad nauseum, that maybe, in that case, MJ, might represent some kind of danger... maybe.

On the other hand, I do have an aneurysm (upper right thoracic), and my doctor had no qualms about recommending MJ to me for my chronic pain/nausea due to Systemic Lupus. My blood pressure has been so good that my doctor has lowered my medication dose. I won't have the aneurysm checked for another year, so I can't say whether its growing any or not.

Usually, long-term chronic high blood pressure (systemic or pulmonary) and a genetic weakness in the artery walls are what's causing the aneurysm. If you can keep the blood pressure down, you're typically ok (or so I'm told).

3. Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry to hear that you have one. You made a great point I guess that if it did cause them then many people would have them.