Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

boyfriend says pot ain't helping me like it used to

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Nepherti, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Apparently smoking isn't making me as happy as it used to. I live in a non mmj state, so consistent strains are a rarity.

I'm anxious, depressed, nauseous, paranoid, and just have a generally shitty outlook on life. Its straining our relationship, and he has been nothing but supportive. I don't know what to do. I've been in pills in the past--Prozac, lithium, depakote, atavan.
    Currently trying b12 to see what happens.
    Advice would be nice.

2. [quote name='"Nepherti"']Apparently smoking isn't making me as happy as it used to. I live in a non mmj state, so consistent strains are a rarity.

I'm anxious, depressed, nauseous, paranoid, and just have a generally shitty outlook on life. Its straining our relationship, and he has been nothing but supportive. I don't know what to do. I've been in pills in the past--Prozac, lithium, depakote, atavan.
    Currently trying b12 to see what happens.
    Advice would be nice.[/quote]

Dealing with anxiety, depression, & paranoia are more than MMJ can handle. Sounds like you've just got something's that need to be worked on..

3. Don't settle on the outlook that everything can be treated with a pill. Sometimes the old fashioned way is the best way to do it -- prayer/reflection/meditation/contemplation etc.

4. Not everything, but it's a path I'm willing to look at, as a last resort.

5. Some reading for you, hon!

Here’s an abstract I found, that explains why so many folks are depressed - (Where you see “n-3 PUFAs”, read Omega 3. And you can skip the italics :) )

“Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.”
    Unbound MEDLINE | Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. PubMed Journal article abstract

The corollaries of the obesity epidemic that plagues developed societies are malnutrition and resulting biochemical imbalances. Low levels of essential n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFAs) have been linked to neuropsychiatric diseases, but the underlying synaptic alterations are mostly unknown. We found that lifelong n-3 PUFAs dietary insufficiency specifically ablates long-term synaptic depression mediated by endocannabinoids in the prelimbic prefrontal cortex and accumbens. In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins. Finally, the dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions in mood-controlling structures was associated with impaired emotional behavior. These findings identify a plausible synaptic substrate for the behavioral alterations caused by the n-3 PUFAs deficiency that is often observed in western diets.

Granny’s translation – “The US diet sucks big time and we are fat, undernourished, and crazy because of it. We get WAY too much Omega 6 and not enough Omega 3. Not getting enough Omega 3 can make you crazy because without it, the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain aren’t made right- a chunk that is supposed to be attached, isn’t! Broken receptors give you “impaired emotional behavior”. So we think it’s the low Omega 3 diet that’s making the US totally nuts!”

Now, those guys were just looking at the mental effects, but the physical effects are just as bad. (Just believe me on that, or this really gets long!) And here is a little more reading on the subject.

Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors (news - 2011) Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors. - Free Online Library

Acne vulgaris, mental health and omega-3 fatty acids: a report of cases Acne vulgaris, mental health and omega-3 fatty acids: a report of cases

High omega-6 and low omega-3 fatty acids are associated with depressive symptoms and neuroticism. High omega-6 and low omega-3 fatty acids are a... [Psychosom Med. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood? How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood?

Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Mood Disorders PsychiatryOnline | American Journal of Psychiatry | Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Mood Disorders

O-6 vs. O-3 ratio
    Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio - Discover the Shocking Reality That Ruins Your Health More than You Think! - Free Online Library

Good Oils and Fatty Substances Good Oil Information

Diet affects your mental status more than you know! Get natural "B" vitamins- your body CAN tell the difference between Mama Nature and a test tube! Avoid as many "synthetics", "refineds" and "modifieds" in your diet as possible and aim for the diet of a well-off peasant! :D

My Mom was bipolar, and I am just a bit "moody". I take about 2+ grams of Omega 3 per day and my "mildly manic" episodes are not as high flying and my lows are not as low. Cannabis and Omega 3 work together to heal! :yay:

Granny :wave:

6. Try exercising and eating healthy.

7. You need to stop thinking some drug is gonna 'cure' you. It's only you yourself that can make you better, things like cannabis only HELP that. You yourself need to work on changing your attitude, don't rely on weed.

8. I know logically, what I stress over isn't that dire. It's all stupid stuff. My emotions don't care. Things have been spiraling for a few months now. I just feel like all my fight is gone. All the advice so far has been good.

9. Do what Granny told you. Start regularly eating your Omega-3 Fats! It is the best advice you will get from any one on this board. I took her advice on this and still cant thank her enough for getting my attention on the subject. Give it at least 2 months. Your tolerance to Cannabis will return to +/- normal and start working for you again and your body will make some very pleasant endocannabinoids for you as well. It is a Win Win Win thing.

:D

10. Def. listen to Granny and Asthmatic. They know their stuff. One thing worth looking into thats helped me with anxiety/depression/mood, is Valerian Root, 5-HTP and kava

11. Maybe you can try some cognitive behavioral therapy(CBT) . If for whatever reason u can't see a psychologist then get a teach yourself CBT book.

12. Exercise and meditation can help. Sounds crazy but I believe it's true. Helped me.

13. Hemp seed oil pills work for my.husband. Flax seed oil works for me. It is like day and night for my husband. 2 pills a day and it's a charm...no problems

14. Remember that people you don't even know care what happens to you. You're one of us.

15. If only it was that easy

16. [quote name='"SlayerVA"']

If only it was that easy[/quote]

If only it were that easy? Wow. Don't know what you are dealing with, but it's never that easy...

17. Blades are awesome. Right now, I've taken a two week break from work. My bosses call us a family. They want me to get better too. I do have to talk to a therapist. Worried about insurance, Aetna is trying to get out of paying 200 bucks for a 15 minute visit that prescribed an allergy medicine. Fridge went out yesterday. but spending next two days planning Halloween party.
    when I lived with mom, I did eat healthier, had a garden, raw milk, fresh eggs. Moved 4 hours away and only kept the fresh beef/bison (dad sends me frozen from his farm). Gonna try eating better. Looking in to fish oil.

18. Head up, friend. I hate to say it, but there is just a weeeeee bit of fucked up stuff going on in this world. It can get to all of us. ;):cool:

19. put hash ontop of bowl and get some consoling . The weed will help u be more open about everything.